1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets spend two days trying to instill confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The last game I went to was when we played the Mavericks. I went very early so I can see them shot around before the actual warm ups. The only two players I seen out there taking shots before warm ups were Harden and Thornton. Both players were on fire but as soon as the game started both couldn't hit the side of the barn.

So them trying this method in practice might not work. It's a mental thing that these players have to straighten out themselves. They have to start playing together as well as pumping each other up. They need to get back to having fun.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Do you think that the defence is easilly fixable? We have bottom 3 defence. The players in the first place aren't good defenders except for two-three. There is no communication.
    These things aren't fixed from one day to the next and they sure as hell aren't fixed unless the team makes them their MAIN goal.
    Learning to communicate and trust is 10 times harder than some kind of confidence exercises in game speed.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those thinking full-speed practices are the norm in basketball (or even the NBA), they aren't. Certainly not as much as full-court scrimmages in pre-season. System drills and walk-throughs are. That's what builds upon system strategy and team IQ. Full-speed practices can actually be counter-productive to that. But this three-day break, and the need to build confidence in what we've done before, sounds like a good time to do a full-speed practice, with no new learning.

And this was mainly about offense versus practicing defense. Practices focusing on defensive assignments are another animal altogether.

#63 heypartner, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  4. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Sounds like they're going to jack up even more threes.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Whatever happened in the recent past is water under the bridge. It is good to know that the players are trying to fix what was wrong.

If things change for the better, this offseason will be a good lesson not to take things for granted, to-wit: players must stay in shape and practice; IMO, WCF last year gave them an overconfidence that was misplaced, in hindsight.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WTF?

Nothing this team faces is easily fixable. Especially the players and their personal agendas. However, I have made no claim about the team defense.

Again, this article makes a small set of claims, most of which are insignificant. Just that the team spent two days on their woeful offensive issues. I didn't see the part where JB stated "to hell with practicing defense".

7. malakas

malakas Member

Exactly. Thanx heypartner. Whoever thinks we are practising also our defence after these drills is deluded. We are "practising" not real practice. Teams who suck in defence devote days and days doing nothing but defence. And then study film . And the practice defence again.

If the ex defensive coordinator Bickerstaff sees the picture of the team in the court and thinks oh that's a nice defence, I don't know what to think anymore.

But yeah.practising defence is also more tiring and less interesting that jacking up shots and trying to fix the confidence. And all the players in the league hate it pretty much.

8. malakas

malakas Member

I guess you dont' find anything strange that a bottom three team in the league would NOT focus on their defence. I do. It's what teams who want to win do. Without defence you don't win jack ****.

9. JeffB

Supporting Member

Where in the article did it state the team isn't practicing defense? What part of that question don't you understand?

Of course the team needs to work on defense. Show me where I claimed they didn't.

For whatever reason, Calvin Watkins wrote an ariticle about the team's horrific shooting. Probably because ESPN has invested a lot of reporting the horrible team offense. Watkins doesn't state the team is not practicing defense. He just didn't write about it.

10. malakas

malakas Member

ahh I see. Well you see teams who really practice defence ALL AROUND THE LEAGUE (its not a rockets novelty) when they practice defence as in fixing their actual problems do it as their main and only focus and then the players can't walk from tiredness. Not to go shooting! The defensive drills are almost in every team very hard and tiring.
    So as I said what you mean by practice is not really a practice that will fix any single problem. A simple repitition of the defence and talk about assignment can fix nothing.
    And if you think that the Rockets are doing this as their main focus but smh the author decided to write about something else alltogether,well the team wouldnt' have the legs to practice anything else if they were really doing defensive drills.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Oh and practising transition defence which is our no.1 weakness is even more tiring than half court defence.

12. JeffB

Supporting Member

I am just gonna let this be. You just keep having fun beating up your straw man.

13. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dwight should take that 12ft ft line jumper tbh

14. JeffB

Supporting Member

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

gotta give JB for thinking outside the box...hope it works

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Have Harden take turns guarding every perimeter player on the team.

Start with Corey Brewer and let him go 50 on Harden.

Then one by one, the confidence will return.

17. JeffB

Supporting Member

I watched the post-practice videos on rockets.com and some reporter was explicitly asking about "confidence". The quotes in the article I posted reflect the answers given.

Harden stated that the last two days have seen the energy and effort improve and now it is about putting that energy into the game plan, plays, and defensive assignments.... So we will just have to see how the team responds to JB.

Hopefully, this is just their Choke City moment.

18. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

Weak article. Can't get anything statistically significant from 3 games vs the previous ones.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member