1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets lift off: Houston surging after slow start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1977486

HOUSTON -- David Wesley was grateful to leave the NBA's worst team for one considered a playoff contender when he was traded from New Orleans to Houston.

But to his astonishment, Wesley discovered that the trade last month simply moved him from one sub-.500 team for another.

"The first night I got here, my first question was, `How are you guys losing?" Wesley recalled asking his new Rockets teammates. "Man, I was surprised."

Despite an offseason trade for reigning NBA scoring champ Tracy McGrady that paired him with All-Star center Yao Ming, Houston got off to a 12-14 start and hardly resembled a team thought to be a preseason title favorite.

Look at those reeling Rockets now.

Since Wesley joined the team Dec. 27, the Rockets have won 11 of 15 games and worked themselves back into the crowded Western Conference postseason picture. Heading into Friday night's game against Sacramento, Houston has matched a season high with four straight wins and moved five games over .500 (24-19) for the first time this season.

"It's just come together for us," point guard Bob Sura said. "We're playing the way we expected to play."

Of course, the addition of Wesley, a 6-foot-1 guard averaging 12 points in his 12th NBA season, has been only part of the recent resurgence of the Rockets.

McGrady has comfortably settled into a role as the team's top scorer without hogging the ball. Yao has emerged from an early season slump. Sura has finally recovered from offseason back surgery to become the team's steady floor leader.

And the trades for Wesley and guard Jon Barry from Atlanta -- players from two of the league's worst teams -- in late December have given the Rockets a much-needed boost of intensity, toughness and veteran moxie.

"I think those guys have had an impact obviously," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "Wesley has made a big impact defensively. Barry has improved our passing -- both those guys are pretty safe with the ball. To me, that's where I've noticed our improvement."

But only a little more than midway through the season, Houston still has much to prove on the way to the playoffs.

Typical of most Van Gundy-coached teams, the Rockets are a top-notch defensive club -- third-best in the NBA. But they're mediocre -- at best -- everywhere else: 25th out of 30 teams in scoring, 22nd in rebounding, 26th in steals and 19th in blocks -- even with 7-6 Yao guarding the basket.

It's important to note, though, that the Rockets have made significant strides offensively. They're averaging 96.2 points over the past 21 games compared to 86.9 in the first 22.

"Those guys have opened it up a lot for myself and Yao," McGrady said of Wesley and Barry. "We see a lot less double teams."

Rockets also have been frustratingly inconsistent. They have won both games against San Antonio, the NBA's best team, and been swept in two games by Charlotte, an expansion club.

Houston will face teams fighting for the playoffs in 18 of its next 20 games, including a brutal four-game road trip next week to Miami, Boston, Philadelphia and Minnesota.

For the league's oldest and most-experienced team, that kind of grind could prove to be a daunting task.

"We're not doing bad," Van Gundy said. "We've just got to work to improve. We're not there and we've got a long way to go."

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, I saw CNNSI. Lock it up.