1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN removes Robert Lee from University of Virginia football coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

But it wasn't his personal choice. His employer asked him if he wanted to switch. How many employees refuse a request from their employer?

ESPN did this to avoid any connection between his name being similar to Robert E. Lee and the Charlottesville white supremacist rally protesting the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue. That is a pretty distant connection that a handful of people will make.

Now that this got leaked, it's the Streisand effect.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is Leesanity

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It should. And it would only be overshadowed by President Trump's 4-year long Onion novel.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Seriously. This is a prime example of ESPN taking themselves too seriously like ppl other thean faux-outrage twitter fanatics would catch.

Had ESPN not done this, I'm willing to bet some faux-outage tweets happen like "Is ESPN purposely assigning a Robert Lee to cover the UVA game. This is not funny"

Sigh, can't believe society is becoming scared of twitter outrage enough to implement proactive measures, that just fuels it nore

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It wouldn't have mattered if this story wasn't leaked. The leak caused all of the memes.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Asking is not forcing. And his reply is his personal choice.

It's possible that it was asked in a way with no option but to accept. We simply don't know if that's the case.

p.s. Personally, I have been asked plenty of times if I wanted to pick up or move to a new job function and have stated no.

We really don't know the relationship of employer and employee here. If we put it in the worst light - employer is "forcing", we get one reaction. If we put in the best light - employer is "concern" about employee, we get another reaction. The problem, is, as stated, we simply don't know and we each will choose somewhere within the spectrum of reasons based on each's own bias. It just happen way too often and I don't think it's healthy for anyone. I rather we just don't know and leave it as that. Now, if the employee speak up and complain (yes, I realize that can be tough) that's a completely different matter...

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What "liberal logic" would that be, pray tell? This particular action by ESPN, not a sports outlet I hold in high regard, is patently idiotic. Stupid. Pandering to god knows who or what. Without a compass at all, much less a moral one. A spinning top of corporate idiocy. They're jacking around with a gentleman's career simply because of his name? I'm a liberal Democrat and assuming it isn't some bizarre joke, this merely provides another layer of truth to the fact that ESPN is a worthless, soulless "source" of sports news, sports coverage. A sports entity that proves the old saying that a broken clock is right once a day. That's how often they get something right, in my humble opinion.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You nailed it.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

just look at NewRoxFan's post.

they had a Mother Jones/HuffPost writer on speed dial as their go to damage control.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

At worst, ESPN was pre-emptively placating the liberal outrage mob.

at best, ESPN didn't want to end up the butt of joke via twitter hashtag or deadspin post.

I tend to think it was the latter, but this is like throwing chum in the water for the conservative culture warriors.

Sheesh.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

dahaha, what is this

they were afraid of internet maymays so they did something that makes no logical sense which created more maymays

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What mob? Ain't no liberal outraged over this stuff when there are bigger fish to fry.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Espn is going to freak when they find out what Bob Lee's full name is

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Exactly. He had no choice. He's one of the only Asian-American people in the business. ESPN/Disney hold a monopoly over the College Sports broadcast industry. Even if he is "asked" he basically had no choice.

What's he supposed to say to the only employer in this industry: "This is stupid, no" and then he's unemployed forever.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Maybe ESPN will show more Texans games. We never show offense to anyone.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Somebody is putting stupid juice in the water... things are getting crazy out of hand. Idiocracy is here

I have got to find me some stuff to be offended about... I'll start with muffin tops.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

They showed our playoff game against the Raiders and lost tons of money. Jokes on them!

19. Buck Turgidson

This makes perfect sense to me.

Story over. Move on.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We were all surprised when it turned out Biff not only ran for president, not only won a major party nomination, but also won the national election. It's been a bit surreal ever since then honestly.