1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

espn poll hakeem's blocks underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket Fan, Mar 18, 2000.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

there is a poll on espn.com on which playoff record is hardest to break. the choices are the 41 rbs in a game, 24 assists, 10 steals, 63 pts by mj, and the 10 blocks by dream and one other player. right now dreams 10 blocks only has 2.5% of the vote, what do yall think? i'm just under the opinion that something like rebounds or assists and blocks are a lot harder to get then points because you can just ball hog it for pts. so who should win the poll i say the rebounds or hakeems 10 blocks

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

[This message has been edited by Rocket Fan (edited March 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rocket Fan (edited March 18, 2000).]

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think 10 blocks can be broken, but of course, not easily. There are several big men that can do that now: Shaq (maybe), Zo, Mutombo, etc. The 63 points can be broken as well. Iverson or Shaq can do that on a night they decide to jack up 30-40 shots. The 10 steals will be more difficult to do because I'm not sure if they still play defense in the NBA (do they?). The 24 assists will be difficult because you're in effect saying that probably half of your team's points are directly coming from your pass. Plus, again, how many point guards in the league have a pass-first/pass-only mentality? That rebound total may be the most difficult of all since you rarely see people getting even 30 rebs in a game anymore, and that's through hundreds of regular season games. Here's how I would rank them without actually looking up numbers related to average performance for various stats :

From most difficult to break to least difficult :

1) Rebounds
    2) Assists
    3) Blocks
    4) Steals
    5) Points

To put all this in perspective, let's see what the Rockets as a TEAM are averaging for the season :

1) Points : 100.3
    2) Assists : 21.1
    3) Steals : 9.02
    4) Blocks : 5.22
    5) Rebounds: 44.1

------------------
    <this space for rent>

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ok, ok. I did some further research 'cause I'm in Houston today and catching a cold. Here are the high marks this season for each of the categories mentioned above:

Rebounds
    Dikembe Mutombo - 29

Assists
    Nick Van Exel - 20

Steals
    Eddie Jones - 9

Blocks
    Dikembe Mutombo - 11

After looking at the leaders in rebounding and the other stats, I'll stick to my guns and say the rebounding record is the most difficult to break. The rest is a crapshoot.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited March 18, 2000).]

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

ya thanks for response. the steals one was set in 99 by iverson so thats pretty recent. i think the rebounds is the hardest one but i just hate the way mj name is mentioned so everyone votes for his 63 pts. for a fact if hakeem would have tried to score 63 back in the 93-95 playoffs i'm sure he could of but he gets everyone else involved

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"