1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN PAGE 2 -- Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scotia, May 3, 2007.

1. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Just wanted to go on the record: I'm predicting an easy Utah win tonight. Once the Jazz finally figured out that nobody could hurt them except for T-Mac, this series took on a totally different feel after Game 2. Utah has three guys who can get quality shots -- Williams, Boozer and Harpring (coming off screens) -- whereas the Rockets have T-Mac and that's it. And to answer your "What about Yao?" question ... exactly. What about Yao? Defensively, he's been a liability; offensively, he can't even post up 6-7 Paul Millsap, much less Boozer or Memo Okur. It's his fifth season in the league. He should be KILLING a team like Utah -- the Jazz don't have a single guy to guard him. So why isn't he killing them? Great question. If you're a Rockets fan, you should be petrified right now. Your team needs a superhuman performance from T-Mac to win one of these next two games. Anything less and they're going home.
    ----------http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Yao, please proof it again that BS is an asssshhhole :mad: It is on you, big guy, Do it or you lose fan favor from now on.....

If it has been posted, I am sorry and pls remove my thread.

2. rockyao

rockyao Member

Maybe you should go to play yourself or coach Yao.
    Yao may lose your favor, not "fan favor".

3. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

wow bill simmons ripped Yao a new one.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

F Bill...

ok, he has a point as Yao should be dominating, but it's not all on him...Everyone needs to step up...The rox really haven't played well in any of there games...I expect it tonight...Check that, I demand it...

5. jdrock

jdrock Member

While I agree that Yao should be killing the Jazz, I have to disagree on the sentiment that no one except TMac can hurt the Jazz. All of our role players (with the exception of Hayes) have really not been doing their jobs. Hopefully Game 5 was a sign that Luther and Juwan have found their shot. If our 3s finally start falling consistently, this series is over tonight.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's right that Utah doesn't have one guy who can guard him... the problem is Utah throws multiple guys (Usually Okur backed up by a guard or AK swatting at the ball) at him and he has not handled it well.

7. Blue Beluga

Blue Beluga Member

Easy cowboy, don't be too upset.

Yao is doing fine and he will get better.

Let the Utah players and coach fill you in on what they think of Yao and don't let sport writers ( some can be cross as car salesman ) bother you with their out of the butt opinion.

#7 Blue Beluga, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

To a lot of people its a mystery whats happened to Yao's offensive game against the Jazz.....I think its the constant reaching, slapping, and flopping by Okur that has Yao frustrated and taking fadeaways instead......If we can only get past the Jayholes, I'm sure we'll see the old Yao again :cool:

9. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Simmon's needs to look no futher than clutchfans.net.

Here he will find the "545" post which makes it pretty clear the ROX will win tonight! :cool:

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does Simmons consider TMac's last game "superhuman" or did Utah just choke? What?

11. awo86

awo86 Rookie

i like bill simmons...hes pointing something thats correct, albeit in a dramatic tone and manner.

our chance certainly is not as low as what hes saying, but it certainly is going to be hard to win tonit.

lets hope yao plays well. somehow i had a feeling that we cannot force feed yao because he is suking right now. what he needs to do is pull a dirk (as least in what hes saying) in that he needs to do other things to help this team wins...that means drawing double team and passing it back out for more smoothe ball movement...thats how we made that run in the second quarter last game, remember?

12. awo86

awo86 Rookie

can someone plase post the hollinger article that's an insider article on the rocks....thanks!

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

why can they send multiple defenders, b/c they don't think the other 3 non tmac and Yao players can score. :mad:

14. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I think it's all of this *AND* the fact that the Refs are calling *NOTHING* Yao's way unless someone in the nose bleeds could tell it was a foul.

The Ref's have hurt Yao's play making ability & as long as they keep allowing it, Jazz will keep doing it.

15. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Well, the two times we've played there, we've been blown out. Is there any reason for anyone (besides Rocket fans) to think otherwise?

16. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

I also think its the fact that our shots weren't hitting so it was so easy for Utah to shut us out.

17. TheHangover

TheHangover Member

He echoed my thoughts exactly... When will Rockets or Yao fans stop the bias and realize that Simmons' views are how most people view Yao?

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

There is a reason this mofo is a page-2 columnist.

19. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

Yao is a learner. He will make the adjustments that he needs to make.

Yao will at least put up 25 13. a lot better than okur's and ak's numbers combined last time I checked.

To everyone who says we have no chance... have you been watching the mavs lose to the warriors??? aren't they the 8th seed? I don't care if we are the "underdog" in this game. we can still win.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Simmons has been wrong about Yao before, and had to eat his words for it. So I wouldn't worry so much what he thinks.

There is no doubt Yao hasn't been efficient offensively. However, there is a really simple explanation for Yao's struggles right now from the field (and keep in mind that TMac isn't exactly having an efficient offensive game with his shots, either)-- the paint is congested.

They having been making the 3s they rely on so much... so both Yao and TMac has had to drive into the teeth of the D and force shots. Mac is struggling less because he has much better handles and passing ability so even when he can't get a high % shot, he can pass out and not lose the ball... Yao can't, Yao has not learned to deal with congestion as masterfully as guys like Mac and Duncan can.

The Rockets will simply have to make the open Js the Jazz defense is deliberately giving up in order to force Jazz either to empty the paint or get killed by 3s.

It's really as simple as making the jumper..

Also, the truth about Yao right now is that he isn't a great initiator of offense in this league (perhaps he will be one day, perhaps not). He can score, and he knows how to pass, but he does not easily handle double-teams and paint congestion like McGrady, Shaq, or Duncan-- not on a consistent basis, at least. Right now, he is best used as a finisher rather than an initiator. Rockets are better off with McGrady doing the driving and creating and Yao focused on catch-and-dunks, offensive rebounds, and the occassional 1-on-1 post-ups once the D is focused on stopping McGrady (and maybe the shooters). .