1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN on Kenny Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TraJ, Jan 22, 2000.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

"We predicted that when Charles and Hakeem were out that this 6-8, 260-pounder from New Mexico would get more time. Easy prediction, but we also thought he'd succeed. He hasn't started a game yet, but he's finishing, which is more crucial. The Rockets have won four straight and Thomas has something big to do with it. He lit up Portland for 22 points and 14 boards a night after getting 20 and 12 vs. Dallas. He's topped more than 30 minutes in all four wins. Guess Rudy T finally succumbed to playing yet another rookie. Thomas has been hitting his shots recently and been ferocious on the boards, and he's too big for wily veterans to merely push aside. After a slow start, Thomas will have his field goal percentage well above .400 soon (he needs to stop firing threes -- 7-for-27) and the minutes shouldn't fall with Hakeem back. Looks like Houston not only has a rookie star at guard, but one at forward as well."

Man, I hope so.

2. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Man ! u beat me to it... I saw that and my respose was the same as yours ... Let's hope they are right and so far I think they may be , could he be the "sleeper" of the draft ?

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Besides knowing how to grab a rebound like Charles does, Thomas' game is different then any other power forward I've watched with the team in the past few years.

I'm interested in knowing who's game he reminds you of. He sure can "dance" through the lane for 260.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Is Kenny Thomas really 260? He doesn't look that big to me. I get the feeling that a lot of that extra weight was fat that he has since shed. I would like it if he got in the weight room and turned a lot of that mass into muscle. Of course, maybe I'm just being picky.

5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

He has to be the fastest guy at that size I can think of, other than Webber. I mean, Kenny boogies in the post like a skinny super-quick SF.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Man every publication from anchorage to timbuctu had KT as a major bust so I don't know what the hell Espn is doing saying they "knew this, man!" anyways Espn is usualy dead wrong about everything lately so lets just hope their stupidity has ceased for a minute.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

7. alaskansnowman

<h4>THATS MY BOY KENNY THOMAS!<h4>

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Scarface -- I hear ya. We should make a list of all the publications that blasted the pick (and lets face it -- tons of Rocket fans in here blasted the pick also). In this case though it's not ESPN that called it so much but Eric Karabell of ESPN. In his Rookie Report on January 6th Karabell said about Thomas:

"If the Rockets would play this guy, he'd be getting eight or nine boards a night, guaranteed. Thomas grabbed 10 rebounds a game his final year at New Mexico and has shown the ability to do that same thing in the Association. He grabbed 10 boards in a game against the Wizards and on a per-minute basis the numbers look good. However, the Rockets like to play Kelvin Cato/Thomas Hamilton at center and feel that Carlos Rogers at forward is enough rebounding. It probably isn't. At 6-8 but a nice 260 pounds, Thomas is no Elton Brand offensively, but he does have the potential be get down and dirty and grab misses."