1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] [Narratives] MVP Forecast for 2019-2020 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 26, 2019.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

2. alethios

alethios Member

@JW86 - the media has already decided who will be the likely MVP before the season has even started. Still think I'm silly?

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Joke of a list. Harden in 'others receiving votes?' Kawhi Leonard in 7th?

Giannis won't win it again, unless both he and Bucks just DOMINATE. Ditto for Curry. Harden will be near the top again...but probably not selected...again. My favorite might be Kawhi. Jokic is a good pick...similar deal to Giannis last year, assuming Denver stays near top (but will they?). LBJ and AD split votes. Are LBJ's MVP's behind him at this point? Will he even stay healthy? Plus...that team probably plays best if he facilitates more than scores, getting everyone else involved. But he'll score too much for it to be AD. Can anyone really picture a scenario where AD wins MVP? For Lakers to be at the top, LBJ has to be best player. If he's the best player, how does AD win it? Love him or hate him, how is Westbrook not even on the list? I think he has a better chance than AD. Not saying he's a better player, just think he has a better chance at MVP, for reasons shown above. If both Westbrook and Harden are playing well, and Rockets are at the top, I can see Westbrook getting the votes. In same scenario in Lalaland, LBJ gets them.

Just given this list, I hope Rockets DOMINATE, and FORCE voters to pick Harden. To demonstrate conclusively how stupid they are. You do know this: If Harden wins MVP, he will clearly have deserved it...because no other way they give it to him.

amaru and Gray_Jay like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If ESPN just acknowledged their bias was real, I’d respect that. Royce Young at least somewhat acknowledges it.

Deuce, amaru and Gray_Jay like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

LOOL, it's really funny that Royce Young just went out there and said it without actually saying it.

6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Rockets are lucky to have these two heels. Two good guys who everyone loves to hate. To think that Steph Curry is a heel too, very odd to me.

Its taco Tuuuuuuesday!

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Mine too. They're going to try and make Kawhi the next household name, like LeBron, or Curry, or WB, and playing in LA is only going to help that goal.

I hope James treats Kawhi like Dream treated Robinson.

8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Hilarious that a panel composed largely of those guys, rated Harden so poorly, and their collective response was , "Who farted? Wasn't me. Couldn't have been you. Must have been some mythical other guy over there..."

Come out and admit it already ESPN. Everyone already suspects it. I said, from the day the trade to get WB was public, that the Rockets should just embrace the heel role already.

It's strange though that Harden and WB may be disliked around the League: Harden for his ruthless exploitation of the rulebook and his otherworldly offensive skill; WB for being a black hole for the basketball, unless he needs an assist. That said, both of them have done nothing all of their careers but give absolutely everything they have to try and succeed. Neither of them quit on their team and coach the way Leonard did in San Antonio. Yet Kawhi's going to be held up by ESPN as the hero in their matchups.

9. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I, for one, am shocked that so many of ESPN's finest experts would bungle something like this.

DreamShook and heypartner like this.
  10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Who cares.. the MVP award is a clown show at this point.

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

14-15 runner up
    15-16 off year
    16-17 runner up
    17-18 MVP
    18-19 runner up

So in the last 5 seasons he has been MVP once and runner up 3 times. And the last 3 consecutive have been runner up or MVP. And somehow these ESPN basketball experts don't even have him in the conversation. Amazing.

12. TilmanFinancialWindfall

What bullcrap.

MVP is rigged. Harden should be three time mvp

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Sorry but what’s your argument?

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly.

Yet Curry is number 2 on the list. Unexplainable without bias.

Well, you do also have to factor stupidity into it. The simple fact is that most of ESPN's 'experts' are ... idiots. How that doesn't manage to catch up with them is the real question. But they are way off on almost everything they say, on everything. Yet they still manage to position them as 'experts'. It's a an interesting study in the power of marketing, I guess. But most people on this board have a more informed opinion on topics like this than they do. If there were an actual debate on this, how stupid would all of them look trying to explain how Harden was in 'also ran' status? Answer: pretty damn stupid. Which is completely fitting.

#34 BigDog63, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  15. alethios

alethios Member

JW86 likes this.
  16. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

If people have already decided they don't like something, you think giving them MORE of it (i.e. Harden's increased volume last season) is going to make them like it more??

Of course Harden being so low on the list is crazy, but you've got a logical failure there. Don't like brussels sprouts? Ok, go eat five pounds of them, THEN tell me if that made you like them.

Deuce, topfive and HP3 like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

one good thing about having westbrook on board is he doesn't give a F about the media and will likely influence james to become non-cooperative w/ the bspn whores

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Harden already said what we’ve known all along! The media narrative DOES pick the MVP way before pre-season even begins. I feel sorry for Beard, but I’’ve truly lost any interest for the MVP race! It’s a joke! There is ZERO accountability from the voters and it’s 100% subjective!

I also agree with @topfive, my dog could do a better job at selecting the MVP!

[​IMG]

(P.S.) My dog Roxy is pretty bright doe..o_O

#38 BamBam, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean if we win 70 games ....... well im not sure , it depends on how much WB does to contribute and how good stats the other best players on good teams do.

But if we win 65 + plus games .... hes going to very much be in the conversation

I think if we win 70 he will get it

we only have to have the 3rd best reg season of all time

20. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

THE OFFICIAL: Harden will never be MVP again.