1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Miami trying to wipe everyone out of the roster

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Melechesh, Jun 24, 2010.

1. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Sounds good to me. This is a perfect time to go for it considering there's so many good FA available.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I dunno man, I was making the same arguments (complaints?) when Boston manufactured their big three in the course of one offseason.

Do they have a bench? Of course not! Are they old? Of course they are! How the hell are they even gonna make it to the postseason?

What we learned is that veterans will flock in droves to play at the minimum (or at least much less than they are worth) for one last chance at a title underneath a few of the game's superstars. Enter Eddie House, James Posey, even Scott Freakin Pollard for a while there. In later permutations, enter Sam Cassell and Rasheed Wallace.

And in Boston's case, the young players they did retain (Rondo, Perkins, Big Baby, Powe) turned out to be a lot better than we thought.

If Miami gets two out of Wade, Lebron, Bosh, and Amare, watch out. There's a bunch of free agents this year whose expiring salaries last year will enable them to play for nothing next year all for the chance of winning (T-Mac? AI? Brad Miller? Zydrunas following Lebron around like a lapdog? of course it'll happen!).

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I thought those picks were upper lotto draft protected. If you ask me, the picks will never be of more value than they are now. New York has been gutting the roster over the last two years. Regardless of who they actually sign this year - a true first rate talent like Lebron or a second or third rate player like Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay - they will still be better off than they are now and they are playing in the East which means their odds of making the playoff with a weak record are significantly higher. Morey is better off dumping the picks now unless he foresees a scenario in which Houston will go into immediate rebuilding mode(unlikely) or is trying to sell the team(even more unlikely).

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is a huge risk unless tampering has occurred.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If your franchise player is buddy buddies (literally?) with the Chis Bosh I'd say it's inevitable.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Michael Beasley could be the ultimate buy low option.

He just turned 21 a couple months ago, and he has averaged 15 and 6 in 78 games last season? Interesting...

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think these moves make it clear that Wade came back with some good info after his meeting....and either lebron or bosh will come to miami...riley is cleaning house and expects a new addition of lebron or bosh to attract FAs that wouldnt have considered miami otherwise....wouldnt be surprised if this team all of a sudden becomes a contender over a summer.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He's got some good upside, but a horrible attitude.

9. larsv8

Im not convinced at ALL.

Absolute best case is they sign James and Bosh.

Wade and Lebron will diminish each other effectiveness because they both need the ball to be effective and neither can hit an outside shot.

They have no MLE and no draft picks. The team is going to be 90% total scrubs.

It will take years for Miami to build up the cast needed to be a serious contender.

10. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Seems that playing with elite players and needing to contribute has a lot to do with development.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont believe they'll sign both james and bosh, or even try to....i think they only want one of the two, otherwise they'll play like 3 semi-stars instead of superstars. There's enough FAs out there for them to build a nice strting 5 around, say bosh and wade.

you start off with

Chalmers
    Wade
    Bosh

Then you've got FA options like Nate R, Korver, Tony allen, Marquis Daniels, Raymon Felton, Acie Law, FLip Murray, Warrick, Pargo, Haywood, Bwallace, Gooden, Outlaw, Ridnour, Kurt Thomas, House, Barnes, Frye, Miller, and Livingston.

I believe they those are all just the unrestricted, the majority who are below the 4 mill mark...some are like kurt Thomas or Wallace, who are seen as over the top players yet still showed last season they can contribute significantly. Some are in tough situations like Livingston and Daniesl, but are still at a good age and have enough talent to bounce back in good situations.

I just wouldnt be surprised if Riley put it all together, especially if you're selling the chance to play alongside bosh and wade at night and chilling at the beach during the day.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Beasley will shine, given the chance.

He needs to go to a team where he isn't auto-1st or second option though.

A team like the Lakers, Celtics, Rockets, or the Mavericks, where he can play behind 2-3 legit scoring options, and boost up his confidence.

13. larsv8

That doesnt make sense to me because they could of gone that route without dumping more salary and thier pick. I think its clear they are gunning for 3.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

maybe, but the best way to attract bosh is to truly make him feel like he's the centerpiece, like he's been saying all over the place...you clean house and once he's in you bring in pieces that he wants, as well wade. A lot of the pieces they had were acquired out of desperation and simply didnt fit. Or if they are only expecting lebron or bosh, but not both, it gives them flexibility in creating whatver lineup works with that FA, since those are two completely different directions they'd have to go in.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Well, the way I see it is this. If Miami gets Wade, James, and Bosh, they'll be a dominant force, right?

Meh.

Compare that Big 3 with Boston's Big 3. You have Allen as a pure shooter on the offensive end; nothing more, nothing less. He comes off screens, and sometimes makes the best defender on the other team (when Pierce isn't in the game) chase him around to the point of exhaustion. Pierce is the Tracy McGrady of that team; the guy everyone counts on take the last shot, the guy everyone counts on to ISO when he is called upon. Garnett is the inside presence, and that's that.

Point being, Pierce, Allen, and Garnett all do different things on the court than each other, and this is why they mesh. Out of the three, only Pierce truly NEEDS the ball in his hands. James and Wade cannot co-exist on the floor at the same time, unless they determine who the alpha dog is on each possession.

16. Entropy

Entropy Member

No mention of Jermaine O' Neal?

17. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Didn't Celtics make it work?

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Don't forget, no state income tax as well. So while they'd have to take roughly $1 million less each to all play in Miami together, they'd probably end up taking home more money than if they signed with the Knicks, Nets, Clips, or Bulls.

*USELESS SIDE BAR: Texas, Florida, Washington, Nevada, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Alaska are the only states with no income tax... meaning the 3 Texas teams and 2 Florida are the only teams that can boast this.

No matter what happens, I just want to see the Knicks shut out of this derby. Chances are slim, but we could end up with the #2 pick in the draft.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i still cant see miami getting bosh AND lebron...bosh is making too big of a deal about being the main guy, not a piece and with wade and lebron he will be a piece...it may just be him promoting himself to make sure he gets big big money, but still...