1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Miami trying to wipe everyone out of the roster

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Melechesh, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5322877

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think Chris Sheridan understands the concept of "roster charges". While those charges will not make a HUGE difference in Miami's cap space, he's completely overlooking them. For instance, the Joel Anthony decision will have little impact on Miami's cap space. It's not the full $885,000 that will be removed. After counting the roster charge, it's more like only $400k.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not like Miami has much of a roster anyway. That is a horrible basketball team outside of Wade.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Which is why they are burning it down to start over, got to admire that in Riley.

DD

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Word.

6. playlife

playlife Member

i wonder what his backup plan would be if wade, lebron,bosh, joe johnson, amare doesn't sign with miami?.....Gay and boozer?

7. matac3

matac3 Member

its funny if they try to get all 3 of these players (bosh,wade,james) because didnt bosh say he wants to be the man on the team. if he and james sign with the heat then its still Wade's team.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Soooo they would sign all 3 and then have 12 D-League players each come in on 2-week contracts?

At least when the Celtics did it, they had young players that contribute in Perkins and Rondo as well as vets like Eddie House and James Posey

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...the team owner must admire Riley quite a bit too because it seems like a gigantic risk they are taking without any firm offers. It's one thing if a team like New York or Chicago does this, but Miami has a considerably smaller market to fall back on. If Wade leaves, or if Bosh decides he doesn't want to play with Wade or whatever the scenario is, they are going to have a hard time fielding a team anyone will watch(unless your idea of watchable basketball is a team led by Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer).

That being said, that is an awful team. I wouldn't take anyone on that team but Wade, Haslem, and Anthony. If I'm Miami, my strategy is getting Wade to come back and convincing him that they are committed to building around him to have a dynasty(despite their previous draft busts). The worst thing to happen to Wade was winning a title so young because the Heat will forever be in "win now" mode with Wade on the roster. Very similar situation to Lebron in Cleveland. Miami and Cleveland are looking to win a title and have not done a good job selling their stars on becoming a dynasty. I'm just not convinced any of these teams(Miami, New York, etc) can buy a championship contending team in a summer. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but considering there is no precedence for it....

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Despite the bust of a #2 pick that he's been, wouldn't picking up Beasley for Gomes or Dooling be a pretty good move for the T-Wolves or Nets?

It's not like Beasley is completely useless.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, it is a MASSIVE risk......but one that is worth watching.

And don't underestimate Miami, it is probably the single most desirable location for NBA players to live......

The weather and scenery are gorgeous.

DD

12. Francis 4 ever

Beasley for one of the NY picks?

git r done

13. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'd take Beasley.

14. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

first time ive heard t*** called scenery.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

please god no.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't work under the salary cap.

Miami is looking for CAP RELIEF. The Rockets do have a $3M trade exception from the Carl Landry trade, but that is too small to fit Beasley's salary into, and it cannot be combined with other salaries for matching purposes.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

but if lebron bosh etc. do go to the heat, that makes the NY draft picks very very good for the rockets. i just hope morey doesnt trade the picks before we he can see what NY's roster will look like next season and beyond. we could contend next season and have the ability to stay young for the next 10 years the 4 1st round picks in the next 3 seasons in addition to buddinger and jordan hill

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This may be risky but it's not like Miami's roster outside of Wade is worth keeping together anyway.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

If you were an NBA elite star would you rather be at a stable team, or team that is almost completely wiping their slate? Wade and Lebron have been in the league 7 years now, Wade only has one ring, but it has been 4 years since the first.

Money is a big thing, but if you haven't been completely r****ded with your money than sacrificing the several million for a few years for a much likelier chance of a ring would the better decision imo.

Which is why Wade should come to Houston : )

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have a feeling Maimi will have Wade and Bosh next year.

They still won't make it to the ECF though.