1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]Mavs, Wizards talking multiplayer deal (Rox Mentioned)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GodzPeepz, Feb 12, 2010.

1. GodzPeepz

GodzPeepz Member

DALLAS -- Long-running trade talks between the Dallas Mavericks and Washington Wizards have taken a fresh twist now that the teams have seriously discussed the prospect of packaging center Brendan Haywood to Dallas in the same deal with Wizards forward Caron Butler, according to sources close to the discussions.

Talks between the teams had stalled in the past week, partly because of Washington's insistence that the Mavericks take guard DeShawn Stevenson in any Butler deal, but the potential for acquiring two front-line players -- since Butler and Haywood would immediately become key rotation players for the Mavs -- has renewed Dallas' interest.

Sources told ESPN.com that the teams' negotiations only turned more serious Friday on a deal that would send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden and some smaller cap-friendly contracts to Washington for Butler and Haywood, with a trade involving the Wizards widely regarded as the domino that needs to fall in advance of Thursday's annual trading deadline.

Three sources with knowledge of the teams' discussions said Friday afternoon that the Wizards and Mavericks were making progress toward a deal, which would enable Washington to truly launch its rebuilding efforts, realize significant financial relief in the midst of a disastrous season and achieve those aims without giving up forward Antawn Jamison, which is the Wizards' preference.

The possible acquisitions of Butler and Haywood, meanwhile, would be a welcome spark for the sputtering Mavericks, with Butler moving into the spot vacated by the out-of-favor Howard and Haywood arriving as another rim-protecting defensive anchor in the wake of a knee injury that has compromised the effectiveness of Mavs center Erick Dampier.

Acquiring Haywood and having the chance to re-sign him this summer would likely fill the void Dallas thought it filled last summer, when the Mavs signed Orlando center Marcin Gortat to a lucrative offer sheet, only for the Magic to unexpectedly match the offer to the restricted free agent.

Yet there are undeniable impediments to a Washington-Dallas deal. The Wizards, according to sources, would still rather make the smaller deal with Dallas reported by ESPN.com on Feb. 5: Butler and Stevenson for Howard and a small expiring contract such as James Singleton or Quinton Ross.

One source said that the Wizards, who continue to talk trades with the Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers and other teams, are reluctant to part with Haywood as the deal is currently structured.

In the latest proposals exchanged by the teams, Dallas would send Howard (whose $11.8 million salary next season is a team option) to Washington and also surrender backup center Drew Gooden, along with multiple low-salaried players such as Tim Thomas, Singleton and Ross.

Washington would inevitably want prized Mavericks rookie Rodrigue Beaubois added to the deal, but Mavs owner Mark Cuban said earlier this week that his young point guard is "pretty much untouchable" as Thursday's trade deadline approaches. It is not known whether Washington would accept Mavericks guard J.J. Barea instead.

Speaking to a group of reporters Thursday, Cuban said: "We kind of know the parameters [under] which we would make a deal. If somebody meets our parameters, we'll pull the trigger. But if not, we're not going to do it. I don't see us doing something just to do something because that'll kill our flexibility this summer. But in the event that there's somebody that really upgrades our talent and really makes our team better, then maybe we'll do it."

The Rockets have also been discussing deals for the Wizards for some time and have maintained an interest in Butler and Haywood in a deal featuring Tracy McGrady's $22.5 million expiring contract.

As with the Dallas talks, though, Washington has continued to seek more than mere payroll relief from Houston. The Rockets have balked at including any of the players in their long-term plans -- such as Shane Battier, Carl Landry, Luis Scola or Kyle Lowry -- just as the Mavericks say they won't surrender Beaubois.

The Wizards have likewise repeatedly insisted that Cleveland include young power forward J.J. Hickson in a trade for Jamison, which has dissuaded the Cavs from following through on their longstanding Jamison interest.

Yahoo! Sports reported Friday that the Wizards and Boston Celtics are discussing a trade that would send Butler and Jamison to the Celtics for a package headlined by Ray Allen's $19.7 million expiring contract. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has subsequently denied such talks, telling The Boston Globe "there is no truth" to the notion of swapping Allen for two players who could dramatically reshape the look of the Celtics.

Although one source warned Friday that it would be a mistake "to sleep on that one," another source close to the situation insisted to ESPN.com that a Boston-Washington swap looks "very doubtful" because of the considerable long-term expense Boston would be taking on -- for players who play the same positions as Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett -- and because of Washington's reluctance to part with Jamison.

"I have no control over trade rumors," Allen said via his Twitter feed. "Let's just focus on being positive. I am a Celtic. Green all day."

link-http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4909238

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already posted in about 10 other threads. Obviously I'm exaggerating but it's already been mentioned.

3. amaru

amaru Member

Its gonna be hard to get Butler to houston........I don't see it happening.

Same goes for Iggy.

Looks like McGrady will be on the roster till the end of the season.

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

In before the lock!!!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Agree with the first 2 points. Would not be surprised by the 3rd point. However, we as fans shouldn't over react or panic. No Iggy!, no Butler!, oh no! Who else is out there now!? Morey swoops in and does the unpredictable and makes a trade that we never saw coming.

NY & CHI remain possibilites(though Feigen said Chicago isn't real likely) and with there being what, 6 days left?, other teams may come up. Not saying Clutch is hinting at anything or saying this trade will happen or go down but keep a look out on Sacramento and Kevin Martin. They keep saying no, they won't move him but they may do otherwise. Also maybe GS or the LAC.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Be on the lookout for another young, unknown Kyle Lowry type acquisition along with short-term contracts to match Mcgrady's salary. I have a feeling that's what will happen- probably some sort of 3-way with the Knicks since they are the only team that really wants him for his playing ability.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

sorry just thinking about how T-mac shut it down for the season with surgery before he could be traded and then royally screwed everyone on the team and in the orgnaization over. I hope t-mac rots on a crappy version of the nets/grizzlies/bucks/insert crap east coast team here forever.

8. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

nope, he will be bought out and then he signs with NY. Ive said it all along, even willing to bet people last month on this long before NY came out this week to watch Tmac work out. I called it based on Tmacs agent being in NY and NY only last month to discuss Tmac,and Dantoni always commenting on Tmac . Obviously no other team has said anything positive about Tmac so anyone with common sense can conclude that Tmac wants to feel welcomed,plus playing in NY might just give him that media coverage he needs to reach his ultimate goal- HOF. Thats what he wants ,and he knows playing in philly,rockets,etc wont get him there. He needs a huge ass market and or championship to get enough votes for HOF. And yes, he still has a chance for that, 3 yrs ago it was a foregone conclusion he would until injuries hit . Maybe he thinks he can regain it. I dont think he will. personally, I predict some really nice games this yr,followed with everyone complaining we let him go for NOTHING, but then he flames out in first round vs hawks or magic. And he will be once again 2nd round virgin. He also might get injured before playoffs , then ill be laughing really hard at the knicks. I hate the knicks,i hate espn(ny) , i hate antoni(he bashed yao yrs ago) , i hate galenari (seriously,dude looks stupid always yelling), i hate nate for dunking on yao then acting like he won the championship for it, i hate the Ny fans for thinking they are better than us, when clearly they are not, i hate spike lee for living, i hated ewing, i hate jvg wish we never hired him.

9. been_exed

been_exed Member

I hate blue M&M's.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Am I paranoid or is it just coincidence that Cuban is always trying to mess up our trades?

Haywood and Butler would have significantly improved our team.

11. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Really hope the mavs don't get butler. Although Martin and Iggy were my preferences to rock a red and white uniform next Friday, butler wouldn't be bad either. I just hope the mavs don't get anymore pieces since to me those guys are no different from the jazz holes

12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

We'll maybe you dont get it... If T-Mac gets traded its a win for him, no matter where he goes. Put him on a crap team he gets to be a focal point of a team.. Put him on a good team he gets to contend.

So a trade is a win-win. Letting him sit may hurt, but in the end it could possibly hurt both also. Plus, the Knick probably still sign him

13. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Cuban is a douche

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not going to bad mouth Cuban, dude is doing what it takes to make his team better and this trade does it. Fantastic move if it goes down and makes them a serious contender. Basically giving up a below avg wing and a backup center for a improvement at the SG position and a legit starting center without losing Dampier.

I understand what Morey's thinking and don't know what was offered but I wonder if the Rox aren't being aggressive enough? At this point there is plenty of time to make a move and I am sure the Rox have plenty up their sleeve to make that move but it appears other squads are being more pro-active.

15. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

No trade is gonna happen... *yawn* :rolleyes:

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

From Adrian Wojo twitter...

WojYahooNBA Wizards near completion of trade that sends Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas for Josh Howard and one other player, source says

WojYahooNBA The Wiz and Mavs still discussing whether Quinton Ross or Tim Thomas will go Washington with Howard, league source says

17. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Ken Berger of CBSSports is reporting it's basically gonna go through, Butler to Dallas. Not sure if Haywood is going too, but, say goodbye on a Butler to HTown scenario

18. LifeisButaDream

Maybe we can get Miller.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Time to move on.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Monta Ellis? Trading him and tanking this season for the Warriors is not a bad idea. Maybe Tmac can actually contribute to that team?

What the warriors have now isn't going to work. Curry and Ellis play styles do not fit on the court together.