1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN / MacMahon] Sources say Rockets do have interest in a Russell Westbrook deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 7, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

They’re working on the idea now, it involves a train wreck.

2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I like watching Westbrook play. He's a rare talent. Plays hard all the time. And he's a lock for the hall of fame. But... he would be a bad fit here.

I read this article today on The Dream Shake that's worth sharing. I'll give you a few snippets, my apologies if it's already been posted. It's definitely worth a read:
    • Russ shot 29% from deep last season. Gary Clark and Kenneth Faried shot better than that.
    • Russ’s free throw shooting plummeted to 65.6%. Clint Capela shot 63.6%.
    • Russ’s effective field goal percentage was 46.8%. That’s basically the same as Michael Carter-Williams (46.7%).
    • Over a third (37.2%) of his shots are long twos (10-23 feet). He makes 31.8% from that area, the least efficient shot in basketball. Houston’s midrange maestro, Chris Paul, shoots 47.6% from that distance.
    • Russ had a win shares per 48 minutes mark of .124. Nene had a .123 mark.
    https://www.thedreamshake.com/2019/...e-rockets-happen-daryl-morey-trade-chris-paul

3. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

MDA vs Billy Donavan.
    The pick and roll iso also doesn’t work when the lane is clogged up.
    OKC has been notorious for having poor shooters. You surround a guy like WB with shooters and you have a dominant iso player, playmaker, and driver.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

F**k it, trade for Westbrook this year and sign draymond next year. Bring in all the players we dislike the most, then we'll win it all. :eek:

clutchdabear, vlaurelio and BigShasta like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There are very few routes to making this happen. Atlanta still has cap space and so I think can move a couple of those Parsons-Turner expiring contracts without waiting, if CP3 and the Hawks would be cool with hooking up.

Otherwise, matching contracts would completely rob the Rockets of their depth. They’d have to call me up for the bench——me, 50, white, with high-arched feet. I’ll take the money but I would consider it a bad move.

Just too few routes. Don’t even know how serious Morey would be about this. (Tilman might be flogging the dog as we speak, though: “Get’r done!”)

BigShasta likes this.
  6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I’d do this only to see WB exploit the 7 SOL offense.

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if we trade capela, tucker and eg for Wb we're ****ed.

if we trade cp3 for westbrook, it's a 50/50 tossup.

I bet Morey is gonna star chase so either is going to happen

I also bet Westbrook would love to play under D'antoni 7OL offense. Westbrook loves to jack up those quick 3s and bully his way to the rim.

I'm worried that if CP3 gets traded, he's going to get bought out and sign with the Lakers for vet min out of spite, I hope a 3rd team gets involved from the East and we send CP3 there if Morey really wants this trade to happen.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  8. Nachobar

Nachobar Where’s my chips?

Easiest way to view the Westbrook conversation: Do you fear him when the Rockets play OKC?

If yes, you want him in Houston. If not, you don’t.

No such thing as “He’s great BUT...”

RocketsFido likes this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I wouldn’t doubt his numbers getting a slight bump here, but I just don’t see him being good enough to warrant frequent use.

OKC has been notorious for having Westbrook heavily involved in their offense and they are never very good. I realize you need some help, but he’s just so low IQ.

If we had some type of way to assure he only shot the ball in the lane and his shot attempts per game were in the 8-12 range I’d be down for the experiment.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Westbrook always seem to play up a couple gears whenever he plays against us.. Idk if it's because he sees Harden and it motivates him more or what. If that's the case, he's going to have a career year if he plays for us.

I do think Westbrook is one of the best cutters in the league, too bad no one on his OKC teams can handle the ball like Harden can. He's extremely fast and explosive still even last year. He'd be great offball compared to CP3 and he has a natural chemistry with Harden for some reason.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

You are the only claiming he is never injured how am I making **** up?

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

when darren mauray plugged russ" stats into his sophisticated analytics machine, did it infect the machine with malware?

luckyman76, J.R. and Sajan like this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

I take 23 -year old all star Russell over MVP Russell.
    In modern nba, if you can’t shoot, you are a dead sentence.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think I remember the Portland coaches telling their players to “let Russ shoot”.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

I'm not sure he would be a fit here...

But the championship window is open only so slightly... do it now and worry about rebuilding if it all falls apart.

If it pays off, great. If it doesnt, all those contracts are gone right about the time Houston would blow it up anyway so who cares?

BigBum likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

If it doesnt pay off harden and westbrook are still valuable trade assets

Unlike cp3

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I hope this is just Morey putting this out there to make someone gut their roster to get Westbrick.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

what team in the world would buy out the remainder of CP3's 3 years? pay him short of $124m to not play for them.....

I'm with you on being screwed if we trade cap, tuck, ego for him though.....

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Playoffs first round is tougher now.
    GS 4 all stars
    Clippers 2 superstars prime
    Lakers 2 superstars
    Nuggets porter jr
    New jazz

20. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

FWIW... apparently this guy is part of the Miami sports radio scene and has over 4.5K followers.

Sajan likes this.