1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Lowe] Ben McLemore: The NBA lottery pick who lost his way, and his road back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Jan 7, 2020.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I could watch him do that three pointer celebration about 5 times a game and never get tired of it. It's like a Harden nose bleed.

D-rock and da_juice like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Definitely fills a need in the depleted front court.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Russell Westbrook and his stuntman.

Deckard likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Another successful (so far) career restoration project by the Rockets.
    Also credit to Ben McLemore for putting in the work

BigShasta, D-rock, lionaire and 2 others like this.
  5. lionaire

lionaire Member

Fantastic article by Zach Lowe. Makes me look at Ben a bit different now. I’m happy that he’s found a role on this team.

glynch, D-rock, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Meanwhile Marquese Chriss is out of the league.

One has been humbled and realized what he needs to do to stay in the league, the other is overconfident and refuses to look at himself first.

Playing alongside Harden and under Dantoni has basically revived McLemore's career, hopefully he keeps playing well for us and thinks about staying with us long term.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Was a good read and glad he realized what he needed to do to stay in the league. Didn't even realize he's still only 26.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Nice Article... I like B-Mac as a player. He plays hard and he's willing to learn!

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I read the article and thought it was great. Just because you're the #7 draft pick doesn't mean you don't need development especially at 20 years old. Still a kid. I think the role John Lucas plays is important in getting players to develop so that MDA trust and plays them. He just needs to slow down, he's wide open and that jumper will start to drop. I can't wait to see this lineup. Tuck (when his shot gets back on), Clint, Eric, James and Bmac. I hope Westbrick starts shooting better and reducing his mistakes..

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chriss is interesting, still 22 and improved this season with GSW. He actually out played Willie Cauley-Stein. Freak athlete might look better running with Russ.

SAC may give him a shot if they can trade Dedmon. Chriss is local boy.

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

12. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

sounds like MDA does a lot of the things right outside of the games, maybe except for having players prepared to stay focused through adversity as well as with big leads, but it doesn't seem like he does much during the games

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Props to him for figuring out what he needed to improve to stay in the league. I thought when the Rockets signed him his defense will probably be a major issue to stick around, but he hasn't been the turnstile he was previously and good enough to be in the rotation. Not everyone can remake their game to fit a new role and he clearly has done it.

Unfortunately Bennett was injured because he could've also made a similar type role this year too

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This was a great read, I love learning more about the players on the team.

BaselineFade and BamBam like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not many would have drafted him at 7, the raw player that he was without a viable elite skill.

Sorry to hear about his brother.

16. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

then you didn’t follow that year’s draft at all. he was projected as the no.1 pick midway through the season by a lot of draft projections. he was still projected as a top 5 pick by season’s end. no one thought he would drop to no.7.

every scout compared him to ray allen, not just because of his nearly identical shooting form, but because he knew how to shoot off of screens and move without the ball the way ray allen did. and then he also had elite level athleticism. jay bilas even had him as the one player he’d guarantee would turn into an allstar from that draft. elite shooting + athleticism... not hard to see why so many ppl fell in love with his potential.

obviously it hasn’t panned out for him the way many thought he would, but i’m glad he’s finally getting a chance to really grow here in houston. like the article says... a lot of a player’s success depends on the environment in which he is allowed to grow and develop. sacto’s revolving door of coaches and general chaos obviously didn’t help mclemore one bit.

D-rock and Williamson like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough, yet that Draft had one MVP and one DPOY past the 14th pick.

Glad I didn't follow it closely as that was a busty draft in the Top 10.

Dipo is a star player, also undersized as hell.
    The real gud players were Internationals.

#37 daywalker02, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  18. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

wouldn’t really say that draft had an mvp when we all know who last year’s real mvp is. too bad media members will never ever give harden another mvp.

giannis overall skill level isn’t really that high, even now. that’s why he wasn’t projected as a lottery pick. he was just another long lanky project big with no real identifiable skill. but bc he worked so hard on his body over the years..and with an above average handle, he’s able to just run over defenders now. he wouldn’t be allowed to dominate so much if refs actually called all of his offensive fouls.. if they did he’d foul out every game by halftime.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, sheer willpower and drive to become the best, those are 2 underrated qualities.

Succeeding in a small market environment, is also formidable.

I mean, we are nitpicking here, even if he were the 2nd in an MVP contest, he would still be an MVP caliber guy, and McLemore is still multiverses apart from that level.

C'mon, mang, you dun see Shaq fouling out much, he was running over people all the while.

It is still a contact sport.

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member