1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Jerry West: Teams shouldn't give in

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T_Man, Feb 3, 2012.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

A lot GM's need to listen to Jerry...

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7535186/jerry-west-says-teams-give-players-trade-demands

LOS ANGELES -- According to former Los Angeles Lakers general manager Jerry West, teams needn't worry so much about a superstar demanding to be traded.

West, being careful not to mention players by name, alluded to situations like the one the Orlando Magic currently faces with Dwight Howard, saying there's no reason teams should give into those demands.

Asked what he would do as a lead executive in a situation where a superstar has made it known he wants out, the ex-Laker executive said it was fairly clear-cut.

I honestly think I'd call their bluff. I really would, because I don't think any agent or player is going to leave $30 million on the table. I just don't believe that's going to happen.

"I just don't believe that's going to happen."

West, of course, was referencing the provision in the NBA's collective bargaining agreement that allows players to re-sign with their current teams for one more year and more annual money than any other squad.

He cited that as the primary reason he wouldn't comply with a superstar's trade demands. And he also said he wouldn't want a player on his team who didn't want to be there and wouldn't want many of the players that would come back in a deal for a high-salaried superstar.

"If I were an executive on a team where a player says he's going to leave, let him leave," West said on 710 ESPN's Max and Marcellus show earlier Thursday. "It would be better than saddling yourself with a bunch of players that are not going to fit in to what you're trying to do -- high-salaried players, in many cases overpaid players by today's standards, that would burden you going forward. "I'd almost rather start over again myself. You're not going to replace that player, but there's an enormous penalty there and it looks like to me like the inmates are running the asylum if you let that happen."

West, 73, worked as the Lakers' head decision-maker for some 19 years, winning six titles in the process. He orchestrated the deals for Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, among others, before spending five years in charge of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Now working as an executive board member for the Golden State Warriors, West is keenly aware of the changing structure of the modern NBA, where superstars and their agents try to wrestle away the power to arrange deals from the teams themselves.

He said that makes executives' jobs tougher, but not impossible.

"You're dealing with a superstar and probably a high-profile agent who is trying to put that player's career, maybe, in an ancillary market where there might be more money available to you," West said. "Today, I think, you look at the real punitive damage when a player says, 'I want you to trade me somewhere else.'"

"We have an awful lot of players who say I want to go here or I want to go there. And I think that's what takes some of the joy out of the game and particularly fans and cities that have supported teams."

Howard has made it clear he prefers to be traded out of Orlando as soon as possible and listed three teams he would like to go to -- the Lakers, Dallas Mavericks and New Jersey Nets.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Really? I don't remember Howard saying such a thing.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He never did, and most players don't. Most players don't even "demand a trade". They just don't sign the extension or pick up their option and THE TEAM decides it's best to trade him. From what I can see the general process is like this.

1. player doesn't sign extension or pick up option
    2. team explores trade options, assuming the player will not be back
    3. player makes it known to the front office that he will only sign an extension with specific teams. This is actually good for the current team, otherwise they could waste time and effort organizing a deal that wouldn't happen when the player doesn't agree to the trade 'n' extend.
    4. player is dealt.

I'm with the logo, though. Call the players' bluff. Sometimes you would be sorry. I think Dwight might be one of those players that are willing to take less. Lebron, Bosh, and Wade all took less to play with the team they wanted to.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

West: "We don't think we can trade for any of them so we hope they stay on their crappy teams."

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It is true, though. Teams need to adjust to this. Either call their bluff and let them walk w/o a S&T, or do a preemptive strike like Utah did to Deron.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This is the main part of the article that I like..

"He cited that as the primary reason he wouldn't comply with a superstar's trade demands. And he also said he wouldn't want a player on his team who didn't want to be there and wouldn't want many of the players that would come back in a deal for a high-salaried superstar."

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Jerry West tellin' it like it is! Good thoughts. The fans are getting tired of this kind of thing for sure.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

It was reported that he had a discussion with Otis Smith, demanded to be traded to those 3 teams. Otis confirmed it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/11638?urn=nba,wp11638

"Dwight Howard has told the Orlando Magic that he wants to be traded, Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel Saturday afternoon.

9. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The Logo is right, because in most cases you aren't getting back enough. Even if your superstar leaves, it serves as an expiring contract which also has value and positions you for a good draft pick after a season.

This leads to the rule, which is "don't trade your superstars for B+ players." Let's keep hoping none of the other team's GMs listen to Jerry.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

too bad Otis is stupid and their owner wants to keep contending. They will have to settle for B+ guys

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

If I'm Orlando, I go with the Cav's route. Pray to God he stays, and if he doesn't, tank and start all over.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

...what he means is...you should arrange for your superstar to go to the Lakers in exchange for an overpriced unmotivated first pick and euro prospects.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Denver did all right in their trade with NY. Detroit got Ben Wallace in the Tmac trade. Memphis got Marc Gasol. Letting them walk is just silly, but I wouldn't trade them for a bag of crap.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

they got ben wallace from the grant hill sign and trade

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Oops, that's what I meant.

16. kharboosa

kharboosa Member

Wow. Jerry West telling it like it should be. More testicular fortitude than all the other GM's in the league combined.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You think it needs to be said publicly at this point? I dont see how a fact is so hard to accept.

18. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

It took West saying this publicly for people to think that's the best way to go? Doing a S&T, or just a straight trade, with the player because the team wants to get something back is the stupidest thing you could possibly do. Let them walk and lose $ so you have all the extra cap space to sign players you want and who want to play for you. NO did the stupidest thing by trading Paul, the contracts they're now stuck with are complete crap (Gordon isn't resigning) How was it not obvious that the smarter route was to simply let him walk, and use the money on good players who would be willing to go there? Seems like basic knowledge.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can someone list out all the teams that were successful with the players and draft picks they got from trading a superstar?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He he writes "Dwight Howard has made it clear", then yes. If its coming from someone else (like Otis Smith), then use his name instead.