1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] J.B. Bickerstaff a Candidate for Detroit Pistons Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 7, 2013.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57961/del-negro-out-in-l-a-chris-paul-staying

FWIW, I am very impressed with J.B., especially for being such a young coach, and think he could be a good NBA head coach.

#1 BimaThug, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

He can hire his Dad too now.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Replace the young one for the old one. Bernie just got fired.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

First Sampson, now Bickerstaff....:mad:
    All we need now is for someone to steal Keith Jones...

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I didn't know Mike Budenholzer was available. Always thought he was waiting to take over Pop when he retires.

He would make a great coach just by learning from the best for the last decade.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dang, people! Leave our guys alone!

;-)-

Actually, it's a high compliment to McHale's staff that this interest is being shown, and it reflects well on McHale. Having said that, I hope they stay. I like the progress we've made, and look forward to more next season. Bickerstaff and Sampson were a big part of that.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm pleased our guys are in demand. Still, I hope they stay.

BTW - - I once thought Bickerstaff the elder was one of the elite coaches. Either I overrated or he lost his connection that made it all work. I heard stories, but have no way to know if they were factual.

Bima - - could the Lakes/Nets swap an SnT'd Howard for Lopez?

And if the Rox did manage to sign Howard would an SnT for JSmith (say for Asik) work under the CBA?

Thanks.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

if it goes to anyone but Budenholzer, something is seriously wrong.

9. Aleron

Nets - not without clearing a lot of salary space first (their salary including Howard needs to be a maximum of $4m over the luxury apron).

Us - Yes, for up to a little over $12.6m (more than that would require additional players)

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. To be clear, Nets could not swap Lopez + a $4m contract to get DHo, yes?

11. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i would hate to see bickerstaff ruin his head coaching career by starting off with the pistons! lol

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

The Luxury tax line for the 2012-2013 season is $70M. Next year's cap and tax line hasn't been set yet.

The apron is Tax+4M. Teams may not accept a S&T player if it puts them over the apron.

The Nets have around $85M in salaries for next year.

Lopez makes a touch less than $16M next year. Even if you clear Lopez and another $4M contract, that still puts the Nets at $65M salary.

That means the salary available to sign Howard, after clearing Lopez and another 4M contract, would be the difference between $65M and wherever the apron falls for next year.

If the luxury tax and apron stayed the same as this year (it won't, it's increasing once they tally up this year's revenues), then the apron would have been $74M. Which means Dwight would have to sign for a $9M salary in a sign and trade. A bit more perhaps, depending on how much they increase the tax line and apron.

I don't think Dwight Howard is going to do a S&T to Brooklyn for $9M a year, after Brooklyn shipping out Brook Lopez and another $4M contract.

The Nets would have to clear a ton more salary if they wanted to do a S&T for Dwight Howard and give him max.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's not going to get the job. But I do see Kelvin Sampson leaving us, though.

14. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

These are cud is to the coaches. The selfish side of me though wishes they will not get the jobs and stay with McHale/Rockets to turn this team into a championship team ;)

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's funny how coaches can be viewed in different perspective because of adding a superstar. If it weren't for the Harden trade, I bet no one would be calling even if we get 35 wins and greatly exceeding people's projections of us.

And I bet if the Rockets get Howard or CP3 and win 55 games next year, Sampson/Bickerstaff/Finch would probably get more offers even if the Rockets play the same style.

Actually, the Nets can't receive a player via S&T period as dictated by the CBA due to them being over the luxury tax line(the higher, more punitive one).

16. Aleron

Phil Jackson views personality management as the most important facet of coaching. It probably has more to do with the attitude the players show to playing for them than anything.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's apparently more highly valued than Morey's golden boy Chris Finch. Figures. I wonder if JB's contract has an out clause that allows him to leave for head coaching staff. Otherwise, perhaps the Rockets can extract some concession from the Pistons for hiring him (like taking Thomas Robinson's contract so the Rockets can chase Dwight Howard).

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I thought we had the best coaching staff in the league this year and Mchale wasn't the best coach on our staff. But more and more I believe the real system comes straight from Morey. I knew he always new what he wanted implemented but that Mchale wasn't listening but as the season progressed McHale's decisions got better. I believe it wasn't McHale getting smarter but Morey getting through to him that's really been the diffeence maker. Listening to what Morey says in a recent interview. Morey and How the Rockets have become the NBA's most exciting team

Lots of great stuff in that article. One interesting point is how smallball has has come from Moreyball and how Morey believes smallball could become the prefered offensive strategy. Even Sampson disagrees with that and says it should be a curveball but not Morey. He thinks it could be the main offensive strategy with the right players.

The thing is we are losing a great coach but really as long as we get a smart coach and great motivator than his system doesn't matter. Morey's analysis dictates the system and he just needs coaches willing to implement it.

I always thought it was strange the would select McHale who doesn't even know how to tweet and publicly acknowledged he never looks at pile of Morey's stats delivered to his desk everyday but out of respect doesn't throw them away. But yet he is running Morey's system. A system that takes control of the offense out of his on court decision for the most part. That's Moreyball and not McHale's style. And that comes from Morey surrounding McHale with coaches who do listen and do translate Morey's sytem to the team and McHale.

So what that means is while it's tough to lose Sampson and eventually Bickerstaff. The Rockets system will stay intact and they will just fill the gap with another smart coach and keep on rolling.

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

This is what I've been saying as well. McHale has been given too much credit for the offense that obviously came out of a statistical approach (Moreyball), when in fact all he did was not screw it up.

If Morey wants to blow kisses to McHale (ie say McHale is COY candidate) for willing to listen to Morey (even if it through the assistants), then fine. But it's no secret other GMs are interested in our philosophy on offense, and they're going after our assistants. They might not hire them, but they will surely dig as much info out of them as they possibly can. Remember Morey interviewed Sampson for something like 8 hours straight two years ago, for the head coaching job, before eventually offering him the lead assistant role?

I think losing our assistants are big in terms of continuity, as McHale will need to built trust with his new assistants again next year. I doubt Bickstaff get a head coach job, but he could certainly get a lead assistant role. Sampson I think is gone. Which owner/GM wouldn't want their team to play like the Rockets, be entertaining, and win?

If they can't steal Morey, go after the assistant coaches!

20. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

That's the apron. The Luxury tax+4M line.

Being repeat offenders and being subject to repeat offender tax would not prohibit them from doing a sign and trade.

Being over the apron does prohibit them. But in the proposed scenario where Brook Lopez and another 4M in contracts is moved, they are allowed to sign and trade Dwight Howard to a $9M contract because they would end up under the apron. I doubt Howard would accept a $9M contract, but technically they could sign and trade for him if he did.