1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Ranking 32 NFL QBs by tier

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by plutoblue11, Jul 5, 2014.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...-insiders-rank-32-starting-quarterbacks-tiers

List created by 26 league insiders:
    Eight general managers, two former GMs, four pro personnel evaluators, seven coordinators, two head coaches, two position coaches and a top executive:

TIER 1

Tom Brady 1.04

"Brady might be the best because he does it with the least every year, just about," this offensive assistant said. "To me, there is no falloff with that guy. If he played with what Rodgers and Peyton and Brees have played with, it would not even be close. He has not had an outside guy since Randy Moss. These other guys have outside guys coming out of their ears, especially Peyton and Rodgers. It is such a difference when you have outside guys that can stretch, like Manning had in Indy. Then he'd kill you with the inside guys. Brady doesn't have half the skill players that Manning has. The thing that is scary is that sneakily, the Patriots were pretty good last year anyway."

Peyton Manning 1.04
    Aaron Rodgers 1.04
    Drew Brees 1.04
    Andrew Luck 1.50

Luck doesn't have the track record of the other Tier 1 QBs, and there was a clear gap in the voting between him and the top four. But people in the league love him almost unconditionally, and 14 of the 26 voters insisted upon putting him in the top tier (each of the top four received 25 of 26 Tier 1 votes).

The evaluators think Luck has carried a subpar roster to a 22-10 record without much help. They see no limitations. They have zero doubt about his long-term stardom and felt strongly enough to give him 14 first-tier votes even while acknowledging he's below the Big Four at this early stage. Every other QB fell into the tier in which he received the most votes, and So shall Luck, even if his Tier 1 designation feels a bit premature.

The Colts have gone 22-10 with Luck, while ranking 28th in defensive EPA and 24th in both rushing yards and rushing attempts by running backs. Luck ranks fourth in drop-backs over that span, trailing only Matthew Stafford, Brees and Ryan.

TIER 2

Phillip Rivers 1.77
    Ben Roethlisberger 1.85
    Matt Ryan 2.23
    Tony Romo 2.23

"People want to knock him," one GM responded, "but the guy has talent and is one of the top 10 starters in the league."

Russel Wilson 2.23
    Eli Manning 2.23
    Joe Flacco 2.31
    Matt Stafford 2.38
    Colin Kaepernick 2.50
    Nick Foles 2.56

TIER 3

Cam Newton 2.58
    Jay Cutler 2.62
    Alex Smith 2.96
    Andy Dalton 3.00
    Robert Griffin III 3.00

Health and durability are key variables. "Pre-injury and with [Mike] Shanahan and all the things they did [in 2012], I would put him in that two category with Wilson and Kaepernick," a defensive coordinator said. "If he is healthy, he adds a scary dimension because the kid can run and he is accurate enough, but post-injury, I don't know.

Carson Palmer 3.12
    Sam Bradford 3.12
    Ryan Tannehill 3.32
    Josh Mccown 3.52

TIER 4

Matt Schuab 3.58
    Chad Henne 4.15
    EJ Manuel 4.24
    Matt Cassel 4.27
    Brian Hoyer 4.28
    Ryan Fitzpatrick 4.35
    Jake Locker 4.42
    Geno Smith 4.48

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

So the Texans replaced one of the worst QB's in the NFL with one of the worst QB's in the league. And ate several million dollars to do it. Well that's inspiring.

3. Remii

Remii Member

I believe Manning and Brady should be in a tier of their own. They may not always win super bowls but more times than not they consistently put their teams in position to compete for super bowls.

Brees seems to have trouble throwing outside and Rodgers is one and done in the playoffs too much... Both are excellent QB's but those guys aren't on the Brady and Manning level IMO.

I think Phillip, Ryan, and Big Ben are ranked too high and Russell, Cam, and Romo are ranked too low.

Matt Schaub and Ryan Fitzpatrick are both ranked too high.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What should they have done?

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Signed Peyton when they had the chance. Besides that, there are better reserves out there; trades are always possible. How about drafting one of the young QB's? Just looks like they took the path of least resistance. Maybe that was the best they could do, but they are just as marginal at the QB position as they were last year, maybe worse.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I wouldn't put Foles that high yet. I'd like to see some consistency. I think losing Jackson is going to be a bigger hit to that offense then most people think unless one of the rookie WRs show up big time.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think Matt Schaub is going to surprise a lot of people. Many guys with bad years bounce back after joining a new team.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Matt Shaub can not move.