1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: FAs Astros interested in (Rumors)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is from ESPN Insider:

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Randy Winn
    Mariners

Astros?

Jan. 11 - Having lost Carlos Beltran, the Astros could look to acquire Randy Winn from the Mariners, according to multiple reports. However, the Houston Chronicle suggests the team might choose to go with younger players rather than dealing prospects for a journeyman like Winn.

Mike Cameron
    Mets

Diamondbacks
    A's
    Astros

Jan. 11 - Add the Astros to the list of teams said to be interested in prying Cameron away from the Mets now that he has been displaced in center field by Carlos Beltran. The Houston Chronicle floated Houston as a possibility one day after the East Valley Tribune reported the Diamondbacks and A's are interested.
    Cameron, who has two years and about $15 million remaining on his three-year, $19 million deal, underwent left wrist surgery Dec. 17 and might be out until May, the N.Y. Post reports. "We needed to get it done," said Cameron. "There's nothing I can do with it. I've been a pretty good healer, so we'll see what happens."

Danny Bautista
    Diamondbacks

Marlins
    Red Sox
    Devil Rays
    Astros?

Jan. 11 - Tampa Bay has a contract offer on the table for Bautista believed to be for one year at $1.75 million, reports the Tampa Tribune. But the Astros could swoop in and nab the former D-Backs outfielder to rebuild depth in the wake of Carlos Beltran's defection and Lance Berkman's offseason knee injury.

Jose Cruz Jr.
    Devil Rays

Astros

Jan. 11 - Cruz has been mentioned as one of many possible targets for the Astros, who lost Carlos Beltran in free agency. However, the Tampa Tribune indicates the Devil Rays wouldn't be willing to part with him unless they received another starting-caliber outfielder and a pitching prospect in return.

Darren Oliver
    Astros

Rockies

Jan. 11 - The Rockies, seeking rotation depth, intensified negotiations Monday with Darren Oliver, the Denver Post reports. Oliver led the Rockies with 13 victories in 2003 and is prepared to return on a nonguaranteed contract if the team allows him to become a free agent at the end of spring training if he fails to make the club. "We will pick up talks again," agent Jeff Frye told the newspaper.

Dan Miceli
    Astros

Yomimuri Giants

Jan. 11 - Reliever Dan Miceli will pitch in Japan next season, agreeing to a one-year contract with the Yomiuri Giants. The deal was thought to be worth $1.7 million, but team officials could not confirm the monetary details.

The right-hander went 6-6 with two saves and a 3.59 ERA for the Astros last year. Miceli, who is expected to be the Giants' closer, is 41-48 with 35 saves and a 4.47 ERA over 12 major league seasons.

Sammy Sosa
    Cubs

Mets
    Orioles
    Nationals
    Royals
    Astros?

Jan. 10 - The Cubs still want to trade Sammy Sosa. According to the Chicago Tribune, GM Jim Hendry and Mets GM Omar Minaya recently discussed a Sosa deal, but talks were put on hold while Minaya chased Beltran.

Any deal depends on how much of Sosa's salary the Cubs are willing to eat. Sosa is due to earn $17 million next year with a team option for 2006 at $18 million or a $4.5 million buyout. However, a trade would trigger the 2006 option and add a 2007 option for $19 million with another $4.5 million buyout. Sosa and his agent want to void the trigger clause.

In an ideal world, the Tribune reports that Sosa would go to the Mets for Chicago-area native Cliff Floyd, who would play left field. The Cubs would pursue White Sox free agent Magglio Ordonez to play right. They also have checked into the cost of free agent Jeromy Burnitz, who would provide a left-handed bat.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Miceli signed with Japan - i guess he figured there were no more important games to blow in houston

Let the Cubs choke on Sosa

the rest of that list comprises the worst plan B in the history of Plan B's

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Sammy a 'Stro? Say it ain't so!

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Miceli? Oliver? Sammy freaking Sosa!!!?? Ughhhhh.....

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Hey - I'd take Corky if they pay half his salary, before I'd take Dan back.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Dan signed for 2 million with Yomuri

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For Miceli and Oliver, it was simply listing their last MLB team.

Don't worry. Miceli is in Japan and Oliver will go back to Colorado. Sosa will not be an Astro. I would have said go after Mike Cameron before learning of his wrist surgery. Not being back until May doesn't help stem the tide until Berkman comes back in May.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think they just know that we need everything so they put us on each and everyones list lol.

9. RareAir

RareAir Member

if those are the Plan B options......????

10. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

on to plan c!

11. ths balla

ths balla Member

i wouldnt mind sosa if they pay most of his salray i mean the guy destroys balls at minute maid

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

:D

13. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

if we made plan a happen, we wouldnt have to put up with this plan b...i'll take sammy though... HAHA jk

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wow....2.5 years and that's your first post? I just reached 8,000.

I would go and get Sammy if the Cubbies paid a HUGE chunk of his salary.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I personally would go after Winn and Soriano (but only if we could give them somebody other than Backe...Redding perhaps?).

I also would inquire about signing Shawn Estes.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Insider reported today they wanted Burke and either Backe or Esquiel Astacio(probably our top pitching prospect). I doubt they'd want anything to do with Redding.

17. Refman

They need pitching, period. Instead of Backe, they may be willing to take Redding and Munro.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Refman, long time no see.

19. Refman

Good to see you too arkoe.

I have been around. Just a lot more quiet since work keeps me quite busy. :)

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I can't believe they would trade a solid run producer with great speed for two garbage pitchers, no matter how much he strikes out, how poor he is defensively, and how desperate they are for pitching.