1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Hollinger picks Rockets #4 in West... without Bonzi!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corby, Oct 2, 2006.

1. corby

corby Contributing Member

Hollinger wrote a preview piece on the Rockets that I found to be extremely optimistic. The piece was written before the Bonzi Wells acquisition, and he assumes that T-Mac will not have an injury-free season, and that he is relegated to the #2 option on the team. He still picks us to finish #4 in the West!

We have a brutal November schedule, and I'd hate to see us entering the season overhyped. I'd prefer to be starting the season in more of an underdog role.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trai...ory?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Rockets0607

For the Rockets, the 2005-06 season was an object lesson in how injuries can put asunder the best-laid plans. They opened the season expecting to compete for the Western Conference championship, but limped home to a 34-win season that sent them on an unexpected detour to the lottery.

Injuries led to long faces by T-Mac and Yao.

The injury bug spared few Rockets, including the team's two best players. Most notably, Tracy McGrady's back problems cost Houston its top scorer for 35 games and limited him in most of the others. He shot a career-low 40.6 percent, and the worst news is that there's a real question whether he can regain his former excellence. Center Yao Ming put together his best season, but also spent a big chunk of the year on the sidelines -- two separate foot problems cost him 25 games.

Without those two, the Rockets had little to offer. The team was 21-10 when both Yao and McGrady played, which would have had them on pace to top the previous season's win total. But they were a ghastly 12-30 when one or the other was out of the lineup, and when both were out they were just 1-8.

For those shortcomings, blame the rest of the crew. Every important Rocket had a disappointing season. Free agents Stromile Swift and Derek Anderson led the way, with the two projected starters quickly banished to the bench. Anderson was donated to Miami at the trade deadline and Swift dumped in a deal after the season.

Age in the backcourt was another major problem. Point guard Bob Sura missed the entire season after knee and back surgery and might have to retire; shooting guard Jon Barry hung up his sneakers at midseason after his own health troubles; and David Wesley seemed to age in dog years after sparking the defense with his arrival a year earlier.

Plus, the trade of guard Mike James to Toronto for Rafer Alston proved disastrous, as James had a career year for the Raptors while Alston struggled to make shots for the Rockets.

With those key players diminished and the two stars frequently sidelined, the Rockets were as dull and boring a team as there was in basketball. In games McGrady didn't play, the Rockets averaged a pathetic 86.1 points per game; overall they ranked 29th in offensive efficiency. A particularly sad chapter was written on April 12 against Minnesota, when the team went the final 8:58 without a field goal and shot 2-for-15 with nine turnovers in the fourth quarter. Ouch. On the season, Houston was involved in four of the league's nine lowest-scoring games.

Can McGrady return to form?

Given how bad the Rockets were offensively, the amazing thing isn't that they lost 48 games, but that they managed to win 34. For that, thank Jeff Van Gundy and his stingy defense. Every team Van Gundy has coached has finished the season ranked in the top five in field-goal percentage defense, and this one was no exception. In fact, they ranked second, holding opponents to 42.9 percent marksmanship. This is a staggering accomplishment considering he was sending out a CBA lineup on many nights, and it's one that hasn't drawn nearly enough attention.

Houston ranked seventh in defensive efficiency overall -- as a trade-off for that low field-goal percentage, they didn't force many turnovers and gave up too many 3-pointers. But the conclusion is still the same -- if this team had possessed any offensive punch whatsoever, it would have made the playoffs.

One has to admire Van Gundy's unwillingness to make excuses as well. After a loss to Atlanta in which he was without Yao, McGrady, Swift and Barry, I had asked him how hard it was to compete when he was so shorthanded. "We're not shorthanded," he growled, "We have plenty." He didn't say plenty of what, though.

Houston's season also had a unique quirk: its home-road differential. The Rockets were 19-22 on the road, tied for the ninth-best mark in the NBA. However, they were only 15-26 in home games, which was tied for the worst mark in the league. In doing so, the Rockets tied the 1974-75 Celtics for the biggest home-road differential of all time.

It wasn't because of Yao or McGrady either -- both played nearly as many home games as road contests. It was almost certainly a fluke, but the Rockets nonetheless are taking steps to making the Toyota Center a more hostile environment for opponents this season.

OFFSEASON MOVES

The Rockets' biggest offseason move didn't come on the court. The team tabbed Boston Celtics exec Daryl Morey as its assistant general manager in April, with the plan being for him to succeed current GM Carroll Dawson in a year's time. The move sent shockwaves through the league because Morey is an unusual hire for the NBA, as opposed to baseball. The MIT grad is the NBA's first "Moneyball" exec, so to speak, focusing much of his attention on quantitative methods of evaluating players.

For that reason, you might think I'm excited about this, and I am … excited and fearful. Excited because it's great to see an analytical type get an opportunity to call the shots for a big league team. Fearful because if he screws up it's going to be 20 years before another team pulls the trigger on somebody like this, and since he hasn't been in basketball for terribly long one has to acknowledge that it's a possibility.

Realistically, he faces a big challenge in selling himself to skeptics both in the media and throughout the league. I expect him to be crucified in the press unless he wins a championship, much as old-school columnists routinely heckle Oakland's Billy Beane for only winning 90 games every year, so that's another obstacle he'll have to overcome.

In his first offseason on the job, Morey and his mentor took care of two important priorities: getting younger in the backcourt and adding shooters.

Snyder

Traded a second-round draft pick to the Hornets for Kirk Snyder. I can't decide whether this was larceny or grand larceny. Snyder can shoot and defend, the two priority areas on this team, plus he made big strides last season and is only 23. While his occasional lack of focus might give Rockets fans Stro Swift flashbacks, Snyder essentially came for free when the Hornets decided to unload him, and Houston wisely took advantage. He might end up starting this year, and certainly will play a big role.

Signed guard Vasilis Spanoulis, let guard Wesley leave.

You might remember Spanoulis -- he was the Greek guard with the Charlie Pace beard that shredded the Team USA defense at the World Championship. He's going to have trouble with the NBA 3-point line, but he has a nice crossover move and can create plays off the dribble, which means Houston's offense won't be quite so stagnant if McGrady has to take a 20-game powder this year. He could push Alston for the starting point guard job as the season progresses.

Battier

Traded first-round draft pick Rudy Gay and Swift to Memphis for forward Shane Battier. I love this move by the Rockets because of their time horizon. Basically, they might only have a year or two to contend for a title before McGrady's back quits on him for good, so they can't afford to wait around for a player like Gay to develop. Better to take the bird in hand with Battier and take your best shot right now.

Battier also fits this team perfectly. He can play either forward spot, which gives Houston the option of playing him at power forward and benching the scandalously unproductive Juwan Howard. Battier's hustling style and proclivity for taking charges should immediately make him a hit with Van Gundy, while his ability to space the floor and hit 3-pointers from the corner will open up plenty of room for Yao and McGrady.

BIGGEST STRENGTH

Star power. When healthy, what team boasts a better inside-outside combo than Houston's dynamic duo of McGrady and Yao? Wade and Shaq in Miami present a strong case, as do Tony Parker and Tim Duncan in San Antonio, but beyond them these two are the best. Even with a miserable supporting cast the Rockets won two-thirds of their games when both played, so one only can imagine how much damage they might do if they both play all 82 games with this year's improved help.

One tricky hurdle for 2006-07 is that the pecking order has changed. In the past two years McGrady has been Plan A and Yao has been Plan B, but there's no way it will continue that way after Yao totally dominated the league in the second half of the season. As a result, McGrady will have to adjust to a reduced role.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS

The backcourt. The Rockets moved aggressively to get more talent in the backcourt, and even in the worst-case scenario it will be better than last season's train wreck. But there's still the sneaking suspicion that nobody here is really that good, especially if Snyder doesn't take another step forward in his development.

Snyder also could have trouble if he can't defend the way Van Gundy wants, or if his improved shooting from last year was an aberration. At the point, Alston was shaky a year ago and doesn't figure to improve now that he's 30. Behind them are more players with question marks -- Euro import Spanoulis will be very solid in time but has to adjust to the NBA game first; second-year pro Luther Head seems little better than a ninth or 10th man; and recently signed Casey Jacobsen is another end-of-the-rotation type.

All five of them belong in the league, but the problem is that two of these guys have to start, and nobody really jumps out as a good candidate. At the moment Alston and Snyder project to be the starting backcourt, which doesn't exactly scream "championship quality."

2006-07 OUTLOOK

Entering any season, there are two kinds of contenders. The first are teams that can have things go wrong and still win a championship. For instance, last year Miami had a disappointing year from James Posey, big dropoffs from O'Neal and Gary Payton, and a hobbled Jason Williams in the postseason. They won anyway.

That's the general definition of a true contender -- a team that can win even if everything doesn't go exactly according to plan. But a notch below are the "sorta contenders," the ones who can win the title if everything goes right. The Rockets, despite finishing 14 games under .500 last year, are one of those teams. If McGrady's back holds up, and the backcourt isn't ruinously bad, and Battier can handle starting at power forward all year, and some of the bench guys make bigger contributions, then by all means this a team that could win the championship.

However, experience tells us that isn't the way to bet. It's more than likely that McGrady's back will cause him to miss some time, just as it did a year ago. It's equally likely that the Rockets will have other injuries at some point, which would expose their weak second unit, or that the backcourt will be another train wreck.

Regardless of what happens, we know that Van Gundy's squad will defend like crazy, and that puts a floor on how bad they can be. If T-Mac can play 60 decent games and Yao plays close to a full 82 -- both reasonable expectations -- then Houston should be a 50-win team and a solid No. 4 in the Western hierarchy. After what happened last year, they'll take it.

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Possibly the most optimistic piece of writing on the internet I have ever seen.

3. Diaw

Diaw Member

excellent :D

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I know its been said...but he didnt even factor bonzi in. or the fact that there is still a chance that tmac will play 70 games.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For all that people hate on ESPN, there are analysts there who do seem to somewhat regularly "promote" the Rockets. I think Holligner is kind of in that category. Ric Bucher certainly is.

6. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

THE SUNDAY INSIDERS INSIDE THE NBA

T-Mac, Rockets could win it all
    Tim Povtak
    INSIDE THE NBA

October 1, 2006

Michael Jordan didn't win the first of his six NBA titles until he was 28 years old, the same age that Tracy McGrady will turn just before the 2007 NBA Finals begin.

McGrady just smiled at that thought.

Far-fetched as it seems now, McGrady and the Houston Rockets just might be good long-shot, long-odds picks to win a championship this season. When training camps open throughout the league this week, optimism will be everywhere. But only in a few places will it seem so deserved.

Houston is one of those places. The Rockets won only 34 games last season and finished last in the Southwest Division, but rarely has a team had the potential for such a quick turnaround.

One reason is Jeff Van Gundy, a good coach facing a now-or-never situation.

His eye is not on the future. The Rockets are built for today.

They traded the draft rights to highly touted Rudy Gay to get dependable veteran Shane Battier from the Memphis Grizzlies. Last week they signed free-agent shooting guard Bonzi Wells, despite the belief by many teams that he wasn't worth the baggage he carries.

The Rockets are looking at a healthy McGrady -- at the peak of his career -- and a healthy Yao Ming, who will be entering his fifth NBA season. The Rockets were 21-10 last season when both McGrady and Yao were in the lineup.

They expect point guard Rafer Alston to be better and power forward Juwan Howard to fit his game around Yao.

"If we're healthy through a season, then we're right up there with the best of them,'' McGrady told reporters in New York last week at a promotional event. "I like our additions. If the two of us [he and Yao] are healthy, anything now is possible.''

Not since the Portland Trail Blazers in 1977 has a team gone from a losing record to winning an NBA title. The Golden State Warriors went from not making the playoffs in 1974 to winning the championship in '75.

But it just doesn't happen very often.

"I'm feeling good. I worked hard this summer, and I'm 100 percent healthy and motivated again,'' McGrady said. "Things have gone pretty much this summer like I expected.''

The addition of Wells could be huge. His playoff performance was spectacular last spring, when he averaged 23.2 points and 12 rebounds for the Sacramento Kings in a first-round series, a big reason the Rockets wanted him.

Another reason they signed him is that McGrady pushed for it, knowing that Wells could be looking at a career-best season, because he is determined to prove how wrong everyone else was in pretending he didn't exist during the free-agency period this summer.

The Rockets will be playing in the league's toughest division, alongside the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs. Staying healthy should allow the Rockets to challenge the best teams in the Western Conference.

"We now have what it takes,'' McGrady said. "We'll compete with the best in the West.''

Wells cost himself

Wells might help the Rockets become winners this season, but he won't be getting any awards for business smarts. His checkered past, along with some really bad advice, cost him dearly at the bank.

Early this summer, Wells turned down a five-year, $37 million deal from Sacramento, believing more riches were on the horizon. But he apparently forgot what was on his resume, forcing him to settle for the two-year, $5 million offer he got from Houston.

He will have the option to become a free agent again this summer, and the Rockets expect him to use it, which is why he could have a banner season.

How's this for his dunderhead past:

In Portland, he was suspended twice by the Trail Blazers, clashing with the staff several times. He was suspended once for spitting at former Spurs forward Danny Ferry and another time for a postgame fight against the Golden State Warriors. His tenure in Memphis ended when Coach Mike Fratello removed him from the playoff roster because of unsavory conduct.

Williams gets a shot

There will be a real feel-good story brewing at the New Jersey Nets training camp this week if Jay Williams can prove he still belongs in the NBA.

Williams hasn't played since an outstanding rookie season (2002-03) in Chicago. Williams, a former point guard from Duke, sustained crippling injuries after his first season when he crashed his motorcycle into a utility pole.

He has spent the past three years learning first to walk again so he could lead a normal life and then trying to regain the basketball skills that once made him the No. 2 overall pick in the NBA draft.

The early reviews have been mixed, but the Nets still invited him to camp as a nonroster player, believing he might fill a role as a backup point guard.

Around the Rim

The Phoenix Suns won 54 games last season even though center/power forward Amare Stoudemire played in just three games. So imagine how many they can win if he is healthy again. That's why the Suns have become such a popular pick to win it all this season. Stoudemire, during a recent promotional tour, pronounced himself healthy and ready to be the force he was before two knee surgeries. He bypassed the chance to play for Team USA at the FIBA World Championship but worked out all summer, strengthening the legs that once helped make him an all-star. "I have my explosiveness, my ability to run, jump and play defense,''' he told reporters last week. "I'm feeling great. I've been working on the strength and power in my legs, and it has paid off. My skills will come back.'''

How about Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal telling Stephen A. Smith on television why he keeps rejecting Hall of Famer Rick Barry's offer to teach him how to shoot free throws underhand. It's how Barry did it when he hit 88 percent for his career. It just isn't manly enough for the Big Guy. "Rick Barry's resume is not good enough to even come into my office to be qualified for a job,'' Shaq said. "I will shoot negative-30 percent before I shoot underhanded.''

Good to see that Moses Malone will coach full time with the Philadelphia 76ers this season after serving as an underused consultant last year. Malone is one of the NBA's all-time greatest rebounders. He teaches a skill that has eroded badly in today's game.

A Final Thought: With training camps opening, how long before the Knicks self-destruct?

Tim Povtak can be reached at tpovtak@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2006, Orlando Sentinel | Get home delivery - up to 50% off

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...121104,print.column?coll=orl-sports-headlines

7. jdrock

jdrock Member

If everything Hollinger says is a good forecast of what will happen, then Bonzi makes us an incredibly dangerous team.

Right now I think I'd like to see him as our 6th man, like Dyess for Detroit and Stackhouse for Dallas - a guy that comes in and creates a whole bunch of matchup problems. That would solve the problem in our bench, which as Hollinger points out, is one of our major weaknesses. Just hope he's ok with that role. If he isn't, he'll still be good as our 2-guard, it would just be more fun to see him come him as our substitute wrecking ball :D

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

For the Van Gundy hate club to consider:

"Given how bad the Rockets were offensively, the amazing thing isn't that they lost 48 games, but that they managed to win 34. For that, thank Jeff Van Gundy and his stingy defense. Every team Van Gundy has coached has finished the season ranked in the top five in field-goal percentage defense, and this one was no exception. In fact, they ranked second, holding opponents to 42.9 percent marksmanship. This is a staggering accomplishment considering he was sending out a CBA lineup on many nights, and it's one that hasn't drawn nearly enough attention."

Now toss in a few extra hoops while maintaining the D and voilà.

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I agree with the sixth man role. Snyder fits better into the starting rotation since he can shoot and defensd. Wells will be good off the bench when mcgrady goes out. We could even make him the focal part of an inside out offense with him playing the post and putting shooters on the floor. The best part is that we won't completely suck when yao or mcgrady goes out, allowing them to rest a little more. Expect more 4th quarter heroics from a rested mcgrady.

10. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

You have to take the good with the bad. Here's the bad...

The choice of players fall squarely on JVG's lap.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Hollinger does give us a pretty good outlook but at the same time he is pretty through in his assesment, at least IMO

12. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

yea but last season we were all screaming for a pure, pass-1st point guard. JVG did not have a crystal ball telling him that mcgrady would be injured

13. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Firstly "we" weren't all screaming for a "pass-1st" point guard. 2ndly Rafer has a lot to prove still. Hollinger points that out. See the following in Hollinger's write-up:

If it isn't apparent let me spell it out. Even with TMac and Yao healthy Hollinger believes the Rockets are suspect with Alston at the point.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"the scandalously unproductive Juwan Howard"

LOL!!!

Preach on brutha!! Apparently everyone in the league knows Juwan is a mighty scrub except JVG.

15. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

Hey, I was wondering if someone could start a thread for me.

the website http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si...rockets-go.html

The content:Can a team that finished last in its division a year ago now be considered the favorite to reach the NBA Finals out of the Western Conference this season?

No. Expecting the Houston Rockets to make that kind of leap may be asking too much, especially in the Southwest, the most loaded division in the league. But adding Bonzi Wells to a lineup that already features two All-Star starters certainly means the Rockets should finish in the 50-60 win range this season ... provided, of course, those star players stay healthy. As last season suggests, that's a big if.

But forget the impact that Wells (and the other key acquisition, Shane Battier) will make during the regular season. Whether the Rockets finish first or last in the West doesn't really matter. The key here is that if the Wells-Yao Ming-Tracy McGrady threesome is clicking going into the playoffs, absolutely no one will want any part of the Rockets.

Wells was a playoff monster last year, averaging 23.2 points and 12 rebounds in the Kings' six-game first-round loss to the Spurs. McGrady, you'll recall, was an even bigger playoff monster the year before, averaging 30.7 points and 7.4 rebounds in a seven-game loss to the Mavs.

Upon reaching the playoffs next spring, both players will be properly motivated. For Wells, it will be for financial reasons -- to make up for misreading the market this offseason when he turned down a five-year $37 million offer from the Kings, ultimately settling for a two-year, $4.5 million deal with the Rockets in which he can opt out after this season. Wells will need another huge playoff performance (and will need to remain on his best behavior) in order to attract a big-money deal.

T-Mac, meanwhile, will simply want to get past the first round, something he has yet to achieve in five previous playoff appearances. Against the Mavs in 2005, he didn't have the supporting crew he does now (Wells, Battier, an improved Yao). If he averages 30 and 7 again, the Rockets should have no trouble advancing this time.

In 1999, Jeff Van Gundy's Knicks became the first 8th seed to advance to the NBA Finals. If Van Gundy's Rockets finish 8th in the West this year, a similar run wouldn't be as big a surprise.

But let me hear from you. Do the Rockets have what it takes to reach the Finals? Or will depth and health still be a problem this season?

I think this is one of the better articles about us, especially by a SI. It points out some good things. Hope every1 likes

forgot to add that some of the replies are f***in riducluos sayin we shouldnt get our hopes up and a realistic expectation will be just trying to make the playoffs

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

a surplus of 10+ points would be huge
    now scratch your head jvg

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Your link doesn't work.

If one believes Spurs' 1999 NBA title has an asterisk next to it, then one should also consider an aberration the much-heralded JVG's one and only NBA Finals' coaching experience with the 8th seed Knicks in the first post MJ, and shortened, NBA season.

Quite unlikely. Barring major injuries to our key player(s), if JVG has yet figured out a way to guide a team of such talent and depth to 4th seed or better by the end of the regular seaon, there is little chance he will succeed in the playoffs.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

By that logic, I guess you think the Rockets' 1994 Championship should have an asterisk too, since it was in the original post-MJ season.

I don't believe this myself, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

"Shortened" is the keyword while "post-MJ" is a side track. ;)