1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

But it was a fairly common phrase used because of the racial meaning in this instance. Even if it was a coincidence (I highly doubt it - the headline makers pride themselves on double meanings and other "clever" word plays), the racist implication should have immediately been noticed.

"Chink in the armor" has never been used in a headline except for when the Olympics were in China and for Jeremy Lin. You think that was on accident?

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what a slippery slope

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Enlighten you? If you honestly believe the juveniles that rule the NBA Dish (it's starting to get as bad as the pathetic GARM) are representative of society as a whole, there isn't much I can do for you. Are there worse forums on the net? Duh, obviously.

This may surprise you, but most Americans don't visit NBA basketball forums. Just a small subset.

4. alethios

alethios Member

LOL I was wondering who was going to say that...

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is ignorant at all. It happens all the time. It happens here at CF.net. I bet if we didn't have Yao, it would have happened far more. People may acknowledge racism is not just about blacks. But deep down the only racism that matters to most Americans is about blacks.

But I don't want to discuss this. It belongs to the D&D and I don't go there anymore.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

7. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ESEGRwnQW4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. VanityHalfBlack

White folks are the best at racial slurs, they got a nickname for everything.. You wanna know what they call Basketball???
    "Gorilla Golfing"

9. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

I think he was reading from a prompter, because his facial expressions change in the middle of it, obviously unintentional.

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

You sir are an idiot. Chink is to Asians as N#$%r is to blacks. It was the term used when Chinese were essentially brought over in boats during the 1800's with the promise great compensation in exchange for work, like building rail roads, digging mines, all the dangerous work that no one else wanted to do. They were given enough rations to keep them just barely strong enough to work.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was a stupid mistake but without knowing more I am not going to make too big of a deal out of it. ESPN should've caught this before they put it online but to their credit they took it down within minutes and apologized.

The situation sort of reminds me of when a public official used the term "nigardly" in a public announcement about 10 years ago and got a lot of criticism for it even though the word means stingy and is not related to the other similar sounding term.

"Chink" has a completely non-racial meaning and "Chink in the armor" is the correct usage of the term. I don't know if this was the headline writer trying to be intentionally witty with the double meaning (being either willfully racist), completely tone deaf to the racist implications, or if it was a Freudian slip.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Do not feel ashamed. 90% Americans are.

13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Wow ... He should sue them and retire while he's still "great"

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't care if ESPN has it up on that site. For you to put it here says a lot about you. Clutchfans has enough racism as is.:mad::mad::mad:
    It's something new every freakin day with you guys!:mad:

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You're angry at the person who posted screenshots of ESPN's headline? Wow.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Pffft, your reading comprehension is...lacking.

NBA Dish is far more sensible and less ignorant than society as a whole. Especially when it comes to Asian Americans.

It's pretty sad but true.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Not sure why you are attacking the OP. Don't really see where the OP is endorsing BSPN's headline, he is only bringing attention to it.

18. what

what Member

I'll say one thing the amount of unconscionable disrespect shown by the sporting world to Asian athletes is astounding. It's almost as if they are playing the role of the physically dominant jock to a nerd trying to ask a girl out before he flexes his dominants over you. I know that this is a far-flung analogy but 'chink?' really? Other than the N-word, the C-word (to a girl) I can't think of a more sick expression. And that guy Jason Whitlock can apologize all he wants, but his jab at Lin was typical of the humorless jock syndrome of a guy that clearly wanted to reduce Lin to a pebble.

Is this how the rest of the world sees Asian guys? If it is we are in trouble.

19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

the writer knew what he was doing, and thought he could get away with a tasteless pun

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

<object width="522" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://yourlisten.com/Embed.swf?id=24227"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://yourlisten.com/Embed.swf?id=24227" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="522" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>