1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN giving some love/hate to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

ESPN asks the question, do the Rockets have the 4th best chance in the West to make the Finals (link)
    I have to agree with them, Rockets aren't ready to make the Finals yet. But we are in the conversation, and I agree with the idea that some people might be saying "fact" to us this time next year.

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I ain't even mad. The Rockets have been such a surprise and have easily been the most exciting team in the NBA to watch this season. We've come a longggg way since the JVG days. As this team grows, the sky's the limit.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its all about likelihood.

If you go back and look at the offense in Nov and Dec compared to now, one could say that much progress was improbable over 2 months.

Now look at the defense. However improbable, if the same type of gains can be made here in 2 months that were made with the offense, then the Rockets are in the conversation.

1) IF Robinson becomes a solid contributor in defense, rebounds, energy and runs.

2) If Harden (bless him) can pick it up a little on D

3) If Dmo and Patrick can solidify their roles

4) If Lin can get over losing his teammates (just kidding)

5) If a reliable backup 5 is in place

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

NEXT YEAR!!!!

I'm just super excited we may enter the record books as the youngest team to ever make the playoffs. I hope we give whoever we face a tough series, but I'm pretty unconcerned with even getting into the second round this year.

I'd like to make a little noise, then add the piece we need in the offseason and be ready to make a serious run next year.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This year our goal should be to win one, i repeat ONE, playoff game.

Anything else is gravy.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Mostly accurate, but I think the Patterson move looks like a bigger step back for people on the outside looking in than it does to us fans. We know all too well that Patrick was at best an adequate starter and sub par rebounder at the power forward position. And I don't feel that playing smaller or mixing DMo/Jones/Robinson into the lineup hurts us nearly as much in the short term as some might think.

That said...Finals? No way in hell. Not yet.

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I'll be happy a with just making the playoffs.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Next season, after the roster is further tweaked in a positive way, the Rockets might be dark-horse title contenders."

I'll bet my house that at the beginning of the year, nobody here thought we'd hear THAT comment uttered about our Rockets anytime during THIS season.

#8 topfive, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. rocketblood713

What they said is on point the fact that they know Rockets have been a suprise is good in my books cause no one expected much from these young guns and gettin Harden really changed them around they might not be title contenders yet but they sure as hell wont be an easy out if they get a playoff spot

10. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Anything is possible, especially with the future JHD >= MJ, and the coach of the year, and the manager of the century. :grin:

11. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

I highly doubt anyone really thought we could make it to the finals so this isn't that surprising. That being said, our offense is explosive enough to give one of the top teams a run for their money, especially since we will have developed more chemistry come playoff time.

I also had no idea our defense was ranked 22nd.. i could have sworn we were 29th with only the kings below us

Honestly just making the playoffs is good enough for me. I've really missed the excitement of being in the playoffs the last few years.

12. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Two years ahead of schedule for sure.

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Rockets have a brighter future than the Astros or Texans

team needs more local fan support

14. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

True, but getting swept doesnt look good. Aleast getting one playoff win could boost this team's confidence

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good point re: PatPat and the 4.

Playoffs, please. First steps first. Nice that the Rox even get the question, but let's get to the playoffs. Please.

16. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Does anyone else just not give a **** what ESPN says? I'm so sick of them just being like oh the rockets are the 2nd worst team in the NBA at the start of the season. Then going oh the rockets aren't actually THAT good. Now oh the rockets are just hot. Oh they can't play defense.

Shut the **** up. We've proven you wrong time and again.

17. cbb139

cbb139 Member

All I can ask for as a fan is that they make the playoffs, that will be a big step for the team. Give Parsons, and Lin a taste of playoffs along with the team's other youngsters will be aid their development that much more.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros, yes. Texans, no.

19. xlr817

xlr817 Member

These guys just need to gel & get lots of experience together! Rome was not built in a day!:cool:

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Actually the Astros have a very bright future, if you look far enough into it ;)