1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Giving Landry Some Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Couldn't find this posted but ESPN gave Carl Landry some major love in it's Rookie Watch section. Surprisingly Scola wasn't mentioned, but Hollinger gave Landry some major props.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insi...umnist=hollinger_john&page=Storylines-080228b

6. The rookie race

I realize the general consensus is that the Rookie of the Year race is over, and to the extent that it isn't over is because Al Horford is pushing Kevin Durant for the top honor.

But allow me to bring two other names to your attention. At the very least, these guys deserve to be named first-team All-Rookie, instead of the usual pattern of voting for players who played a lot of minutes but didn't necessarily play them well. (Somewhere, Adam Morrison is quietly taking a bow).

[+] Enlarge
    Thaddeus Young

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images

Thaddeus Young's emergence has sparked the Sixers' playoff push.

The first is Philadelphia's Thaddeus Young. He's the same age as Durant and has a better PER at 16.33. In fact, his ascension into the starting lineup has been one of the catalysts behind the Sixers' playoff push. Philly is 20-16 when he plays at least 12 minutes, and 11-6 when he plays at least 24.

The 6-foot-8 teenager ranks second among all NBA small forwards in both shooting percentage (52.6 percent, second only to Atlanta's Josh Childress) and rebound rate (surpassed only by fellow rook Jared Dudley of Charlotte).

Better yet, his closet is skeleton-free. In talking to some Sixers people before a recent game, they seem as impressed by his character as they were by his game. He still has to improve his jumper and see the floor better, but he has superstar potential and nobody's talking about him.

Yet one player has been even more impressive than Young, at least in his rookie season. His name is Carl Landry ... or as I've taken to calling him, Carl Landry!

As in, guess who's averaging 19.3 points and 12.9 boards per 40 minutes? Carl Landry!

Can you believe who's shooting 62.7 percent from the floor? Carl Landry!

Do you know who's fifth among all power forwards in rebound rate, ahead of David Lee and Kevin Garnett? My goodness, it's Carl Landry!

Care to guess who's leading all rookies in PER? Yep ... Carl Landry!

Better yet, have you heard who has the best PER on a 37-20 Houston team with two perennial All-Stars? Would you believe ... Carl Landry!

The second-round pick from Purdue was an afterthought in Houston's preseason plans -- 6-7 power forwards with limited shooting range haven't had the greatest track record in the NBA. As a result, he only played in three games prior to New Year's Day.

But on Jan. 11, he went 7-for-7 against Minnesota and hasn't been out of the rotation since. The fact that Landry's increased playing time has been met with a 13-game Houston win streak is not a coincidence. The Rockets are 17-1 when Landry plays more than 10 minutes, and 20-19 when he doesn't.

I'll grant that his numbers have only been generated in 377 minutes and it seems unlikely that he can keep up quite such a prolific pace. Nonetheless, any discussion of the league's top rookies has to include Landry. He's been brilliant at both ends when he's played, and it's not his fault he was nailed to the bench for half the season.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I think it was posted earlier, but I could just be imagining things. Damn good article though :D

Carl Landry!

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Dammit just found the article. Must have skipped over the post.

Lock it up!

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

PS

Carl Landry!!

5. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

If he does somehow win it (very very slim they don't like giving awards to someone who is has another rookie starting over him) this si the stat that will. Quite possibly the story of our season. All I can say is BOILER UP!

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is 1 article I don't mind reading twice.

7. liangqj

liangqj Member

Great read.
    There will be many chances for Landry because of Yao's absence. He ran all around the court to grab the boards.
    Where is the ball, where is Landry.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like him very much.

9. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

I like Carl cause he throws it down. It's refreshing to see someone do that on this team.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

yay "exclamation point" :)

Someone posted both bits last night, but then someone else posted the "defensive" part of the article as a separate thread too. So you aren't alone :)