1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Former Knicks coach spends second day in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garthomps, Jun 6, 2003.

1. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Former Knicks coach spends second day in Houston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

The Houston Rockets want Jeff Van Gundy as their next head coach. Now the decision rests in the hands of the former New York Knicks coach.

The Rockets have offered the job to Van Gundy. While Van Gundy remained in Houston for a second consecutive day, joining his wife to look at schools and potential houses, he has not officially accepted the job.

Van Gundy met with Rockets officials on Thursday and is owner Les Alexander's top choice to replace Rudy Tomjanovich, the longtime Rockets coach who stepped down on May 23.

The Rockets told their other primary candidate, Mike Dunleavy, that they will not make any other moves with potential candidates until Van Gundy makes his decision.

Van Gundy stayed away from specifics Thursday when asked about becoming the successor to Tomjanovich

"I've never felt comfortable talking about business," said Van Gundy, whose most recent job has been as a television analyst. "I'm a coach."

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson also was tight-lipped Thursday.

Asked if he's made an offer to Van Gundy, Dawson replied: "We will if it works out."

Neither would confirm a report Thursday by Houston television station KRIV that cited unidentified league sources saying Van Gundy was negotiating a four- or five-year deal to coach the Rockets.

"It's a great job," Van Gundy said, acknowledging the courtship by the Rockets was flattering. "There are a lot of people who want it. It's obviously a great sports town, a new arena, good, young talent."

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I wish these articles would offer more info....always repeat the same damn quotes with one line of new info.

I guess I'm growing impatient with this whole thing.

3. garthomps

agreed! though I searched for updates and this was all that was available

4. garthomps

agreed!

though I searched for updates and this was all that was available

5. NJRockFan

I guess we'll have to wait til Monday for more news. I have a bad feeling about this. JVG handles the press very well. Damn it! I watched the press conference he had with the media and his answers reveal nothing.

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I wish Les Alexander was at least here in town to meet with Van gundy- at least show a little respect and interest. If we muck around and miss Van Gundy - I realize we can get another coach- maybe a good one, but this really makes our organization look stupid...

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You're right - Uncle Les' vanishing act is real puzzling. Maybe the coaching decision is REALLY Carrol Dawson's to make...NAWWWW!

8. munco

munco Member

I agree that not having the guy that's going to be paying you there is a very bad move. I figured it'd be standard practice to meet the owner when offering a coaching position.

9. NJRockFan

According to the front page, Les, JVG, and Michael Goldberg spoke about the financial deal. I don't know if that meant Les spoke to Jeff on the phone or was there in person.

Update: Les, Van Gundy met with Rockets attorney Michael Goldberg today to talk financial deal.

Conflicting info for sure.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe the Knicks are holding the Rockets hostage over the compensation issue?

11. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Member

Hes wasting time. He knows he can so he likes it. I say screw him and sign Dunleavy.

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

yeah that second round pick is no giveaway. Remember the Rockets nabbed Mobley with the 44th pick. It can be used in trade packages and to help a team move up higher in the draft. If Van Gundy has made his mind up and wants the job then the Rockets new unofficial coach may of just made his first coaching move on himself, thereby allowing his team to keep its second round pick.