1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Donatas Motiejunas won't report to Rockets cause of $6M difference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Dec 7, 2016.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Isn't there a provision in the CBA that states that there should be like 4M in incentives in this case? Something like that was passing news this morning.

If DMo is really fighting for 2M (37 vs 35) then this is even dumber by the second.

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This could work out. Give Dmo the money he is looking for. Then the rockets can use their leverage to get the trigger date for next year pushed back. But first I wouldn't even speak with Dmo about more money until he fired his incompetent agent. Bj tried to be a hard ass and he doesn't know basic rules of the cba

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I didn't see that in the small writing. That's what I was thinking last night, that they might try to do.

That would be awesome. And btw, I'm pretty sure you can add bonuses too. Since they are not part of the Principal Terms, we could give them more in order to move that date back to July 7th, like the yr 2 and 3, thus allowing us to waive during the July Moratorium to clear cap space, if need be.

BigMaloe and Deuce like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Last time Morey didn't treat someone like an asset he got burned. That expert douche bag was Chandler Parsons. I don't blame Morey for doing what he is doing. DMO shouldn't have assumed anything.

topfive and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sources say D-Mo & B.J. sent this to Daryl & Les:

;)

6. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Exactly. And you would think that anyone that is a Rocket's fan would recognize this and put the team's interest over a role player's interest. DMo is no James Harden! If this was Harden, I would be all on his side to keep our superstar happy.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think that's fair for all parties involved. DMo gets the money he signed for, Rockets get their flexibility.

8. basketballholic

You don't get it dude. You just don't get it. Sorry.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Which teams? Name them. Provide proof if you are going to make such an assertion.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Call it whatever you want, the Rockets know what the value Dmo at. Dmo needs to fire his agent immediately and hire someone else to fix this mess. I am willing to bet that BJ was not aware of what the Rockets could do. How the hell do you work out a contract without full knowledge of whatever you might be agreeing to? You would think that BJ would have worked out a higher salary as a contigency. We all know that Morey is a tough negotiator, whether in good or bad faith, so the other party needs to be fully prepared to battle.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

My guess is that this will end with a reworked contract that includes matched incentives or slightly more guaranteed money for DMo in return for a summer date on that option decision. It's unfortunate that BJ is not a good enough agent to find a way to make this happen without all the drama.

I'm also not surprised that DMo didn't want to report after he found out that the Rockets matched contract doesn't actually have to match every clause in the Nets' offer. It's shocking, though, that Armstrong didn't tell him that in advance -- or even worse, that Armstrong himself didn't realize it until after they signed that Nets' offer sheet.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't though. The CBA dictates what is in Principal Terms. It's not negotiable. Any Individual Achievement are excluded. Only Likely Team Achievements and "Generally Recognized League Honors" that are Likely become Principal Terms. (And also, part of Team Salary for cap purposes.) So, since those League Honors have to also qualify as Likely vs Unlikely, I'm willing to bet DMo didn't qualify as Likely, since he's never come close to hitting league honors.

Regardless, he wouldn't hit those Honors this year for sure.

So, only way to "restructure" the contract so Likely becomes matchable would be to make the bonuses Team Performance. Or just make it Base salary.

It just seems so clear than BJ just didn't know Likely Individual Performances don't qualify as Principal Terms. He just blew it.

craguin, DreamShook and Deuce like this.
  13. basketballholic

He will either get this money in the table right now or he will get more.

14. basketballholic

Not interested.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

BBH,

DMo has zero leverage here. Zero. Stop pretending like he has some kind of mystical control over this situation.

The Rockets have even MORE leverage now than they did before DMo signed the contract. Before he could have signed another deal, gone to Europe, etc. Now he is locked into this deal at least until March 1st and perhaps even longer if the Rockets choose to waive the physical and submit the contract as is. If they choose the later, DMo literally has two options....show up or retire until the Rockets choose to waive him.

Now - i do see this as a reasonable opportunity for him to get some of that incentive money if he's willing to push the guarantee date on that 2nd year back to July 7th. That's something that benefits the Rockets that they do not have right now.

Assuming BJ didn't understand how this contract would work within the CBA, then this is entirely on him and the Wasserman group. Trying to point the blame at the Rockets FO is just silly. In business, especially at this level, the terms matter. If they didn't understand them, too bad. And frankly, DMo could probably claim gross negligence and turn around and sue Wasserman.

Wasserman stands to get clobbered here, either in public perception or among the players.

16. bongman

bongman Member

Do we even know exactly what those incentives are to determine if they are reasonable or not?

17. basketballholic

That won't happen. He'll come in in January for the physical.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

after that they're going to ratchet up their negotiations this way:

J.R. likes this.
  19. DMO (DJ remix)

Don't know guys, maybe he just wants his 5 minutes of fame or something, i mean he is all over the news in multiple countries let alone forums or whateva, **** do i know what DMO wants, maybe he will go do medical tomorrow or on Friday.

20. jjc1

jjc1 Member

ESPN source is me. I posted this idea in the Larry Coon thread this morning.:D

Morey could add the incentives back with the condition that DMo agrees to move the deadline to exercise his 2017-2018 option to July 2017. That gives Morey more flexibility next summer. Don't know if that's allowed by the rule though.

#116jjc1, Today at 8:16 AM