1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]Daily Dime - 5/7 - Flip the old NBA adage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dback816, May 7, 2009.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

Looks like they've already updated Daily Dime after Game 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090507

Here's the part about Kobe's elbowl, whole article in link

2. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

yeah i was surprised to see that about the rules with kobe. we can pray for a suspension but probably wont happen

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Yea, but when this starts to go mainstream tomorrow, the NBA will have to think about suspending him. If places like Around the Horn and PTI start to say YES KOBE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED, then the league is going to be almost forced and with their hands tied.

The league is about money, but they aren't stupid either. The Dwight incident was not any worse than this and he is a superstar who got suspended, who is to say Kobe can't?

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If they suspend Kobe, I will be in utter shock. I wouldnt mind it though, it would be as close to automatic as it will get for the win column. Ron Artest did a good job in making such a scene, or this elbow would have never happened. It just makes me wonder, the NBA clearly saw the elbow on Shane in game 1 and called it an attempt to stand up? What makes you thing the league wont call Bryant's act an attempt to gain posistion for the rebound?

6. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

yeah they will say it was in gaining position. really, this is MUCH different than d howard and rafer because this was part of a play and those were outside of the play. i dont think the rule applies here

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Ron Artest did the perfect thing after that play. Without him making a big deal out of it, I don't think anybody even notices the play.

Unfortunately, I don't see Kobe getting suspended because of it. Actually, I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he did.

8. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Kobe is Kobe so Stern won't touch.

As a punishment for Kobe's sins, Stern will suspend Fisher (flagrant 2) and Artest (threatening gesturing) for a game.

9. tmacfor35

It's funny, superstars (Dwight Howard exception) have gotten the benefit of the doubt everytime. I want everybody to watch the replay and tell me what you think. I do not think im being a homer when I say that the elbow was a malicious one. If the NBA follows the rules, Kobe will not be playing in game 3. Stern has us all brainwashed to over look the misdoings of the superstars in this league. After watching this video it makes me wonder, how can you not suspend Kobe, but you know he wont be.

10. BucMan55

I think my lip reading is up to par:

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

What does the rulebook say about knee fouls?

12. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

If the league suspended Kobe, he will declare he is done with NBA and will play in Euro.

13. BucMan55

I dont really know the intention, but the fact that it was a rebounding situation with players jockeying for position gives them enough leeway to at worst come up with an inconclusive decision. It will allow them to give Kobe the benefit of the doubt. It will give them a decent PR statement, while also perhaps giving the Lakers enough of a "stern" eye to say "you got lucky."

14. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

Is this a joke? look how many times Kobe has been mistreated by the NBA.

Kobe's elbow can't be compared to Dwight.. Dwight was facing up on Dalembert.. while Kobe was fighting for the ball.. and with the way Ron plays he had to be a littler more determined to get the ball..

15. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

the thing is its not as obvious as the dwight or rafer ones, or the fisher one. you dont see him wind up or see him even, its from the back so its not like he was aiming for the throat - he wont get suspended because its not clear enought

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2 games, 2 elbows. He won't get suspending but its adding up.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly. Yet people here are saying he was out of hand.

Remember Shane was INTENTIONALLY kneed and elbowed in the head. Shane did nothing about it and nothing was done about it.

Sometimes you have to make a scene.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lakers-Kings....Game 6.

Nuff said.

19. tmacfor35

I saw enough follow through from the elbow to warrant it, intentional. Im sure there are other angles that even the public has not seen. Great, im cooking up conspiracies, but anyways, their is a reason Ron Artest took offense to a misguided elbow. It was intentional. The league looked right past the elbow in game 1, and they will do so in game 2. Shame on you Stern, shame on you.

20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I definitely think the elbow by Kobe was intentional, in the sense that he meant to throw it... I don't think it was meant to hurt Ron in any way though.

In my opinion, Kobe's elbow wasn't that bad, and doesn't deserve a suspension.

Derek Fisher, though, if that guy isn't suspended, I'll be freaking pissed. If he wanted to send a message, that's fine, message received... he can still sit the next game out.