1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Comes Down on Golf Analyst for Criticizing Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Aug 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

According to USA Today, ESPN responded Friday:

On Friday ESPN 'reminded" Azinger his venture into political punditry violates the company's updated social network policy for on-air talent and reporters.

"Paul's tweet was not consistent with our social media policy, and he has been reminded that political commentary is best left to those in that field," spokesman Andy Hall told Game On! in a statement.

Yet ESPN seems to be rather inconsistent about political commentary from its employees. As NewsBusters reported in April 2007:

Even so, it came as something of a shock to observe that one ESPN personality is turning his on-screen appearances into an opportunity to promote the candidacy of a Dem presidential contender. Many sportscasters have their signature calls. From Stuart Scott's "boo-yah!" to Chris Berman's "back-back-back gone!," several of the ESPN announcers utter idiosyncratic phrases to underline signal athletic accomplishments. Fair enough. But watching ESPN's Kenny Mayne over the course of the last few days, I was surprised to notice that he has coined a new call. Home run at a crucial moment? Three-pointer to take the lead in a basketball game? "Obama!", exclaims Mayne.

Mayne has continued making political comments without any rebuke from ESPN as Dana Loesch noted at Big Journalism Friday:

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/no...-golf-analyst-criticizing-obama#ixzz1WLsfWYSL

2. ILoveTheRockets

The lonely jackass in the corner.

Guess this guy didn't know that dems are crossing over this year and supporting Ron Paul over Obama if Ron gets the nod.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Wait that's what Dems are doing? I guess I didnt get that memo.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Should probably let the guy tweet what he wants, but I guess they don't have to. They probably should have discreetly disciplined Kenny Mayne though.

This is a really, really dumb issue, by the way.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give me a ****ing break. Why is this even news?

6. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Ah yes, the separation of sport and state.

Isn't that an amendment or something?

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Kenny Mayne did basketball games?

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what did he say, er, tweet?

edit: how clever, he thought he was...

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

There's gotta be a better news story somewhere.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Only those who don't support the Civil Right Act, minimum wage, believe social security is "uncsonstitutional" ( I kid you not!) don't support a women's right to choose etc.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Doesn't seem like a big deal.

But, I think ESPN has a legitimate interest to keep him from talking politics. If he wasn't using that twitter account as part of his public persona (and therefore job), then maybe they should leave him alone. But, it does seem to be part of that persona.

As for some other guy in 2007, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

13. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

It was also in 2011 (June 11)

Kenny Mayne
    almost rammed car with palin bumper sticker. with intent.. held up..coulda been kids in car.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Awesome. Kenny Mayne is great. Maybe ESPN has wised up and figured that sophisticated urban elitists are a better audience to have than slackjawed medicare scooting tea party clowns.