1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN.COM] Sources: 'Melo targeting NY & CHI as 1 and 1A

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kturner77, Sep 22, 2010.

1. kturner77

kturner77 Member

Carmelo Anthony's wish list starts with the New York Knicks, but that's not the only trade destination he's targeting.

Sources briefed on the state of Anthony's ongoing push to be dealt by the Denver Nuggets told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Chicago Bulls are a firm 1A on his list. This is partly attributed to the fact that the Bulls are much closer to assembling the sort of package Denver would want in return for its franchise player than the Knicks.

Over the last 72 hours, sources said, Anthony's representatives -- headed by agent Leon Rose -- have been ramping up the pressure on the Nuggets to complete a deal with the Knicks or the Bulls before training camps open leaguewide next week.

Sources say that Denver officials, however, are not inclined to rush into anything. ESPN.com reported Sunday night that the Nuggets, in recent days, have been telling interested teams for the first time that they are willing to field offers for Anthony after resisting such inquiries for weeks.

Anthony
    But even as the Nuggets have opted to see what sort of haul can be had for their high-scoring forward, there remains strong sentiment within the organization to slow the process down in hopes of mounting one last campaign to win back Anthony's support.

The Nuggets, sources said, are clinging to the hope that Anthony might reconsider his trade-me stance once he starts hearing some Denver-friendly voices upon reporting to camp after weeks of isolation from the organization.

Anthony will be greeted by the likes of head coach George Karl and trusted teammate Chauncey Billups trying to convince the 26-year-old that his current team is not far away from a return to contention in the Western Conference and that the foundation of the group that reached the West finals in 2009 should not be scrapped.

Yet sources say that the message from Anthony's camp to the Nuggets has stayed consistent: New York and Chicago are the preferred landing spots, with New Jersey and Houston also still in the conversation.

The Nets remain a viable option because of their planned move to Brooklyn and because the Nets have what several rival executives believe to be the deepest cache of assets to satisfy Denver's trade demands in its worst-case scenario.

Though the Rockets are the fourth known team in the Anthony sweepstakes, multiple sources close to the situation insisted Friday that Houston is not making guard Kevin Martin part of the discussions. The Nuggets, sources maintain, would expect a combination of expiring contracts, future first-round draft picks and at least one marketable young talent if they ultimately concede that Anthony must be traded between now and the February trading deadline.

The Nuggets have offered Anthony, who can become a free agent next July, a three-year extension worth $65 million.

ESPN.com reported Monday that the Nets are widely regarded in NBA front-office circles as the frontrunner for Anthony. New Jersey is reportedly willing to package No. 3 overall pick Derrick Favors with the expiring contracts of Troy Murphy and Kris Humphries and at least one future first-rounder.

It's believed that the Nets, though, would insist on Anthony agreeing to a contract extension as part of the trade -- as Kevin Garnett did when Minnesota sent him to Boston in the summer of 2007 -- before they agree to surrender assets such as Favors and draft picks.

The Bulls could theoretically trump any New Jersey offer if they were willing to include center Joakim Noah as part of a deal for Anthony. Sources with knowledge of Chicago's thinking, however, have maintained for days that the Bulls are strongly against the inclusion of Noah, revealing instead that Chicago has offered a package featuring Luol Deng, Taj Gibson and one future first-rounder.

Playing alongside former Team USA teammate Amare Stoudemire in New York is thought to hold the greatest appeal to Anthony, something Stoudemire openly discussed earlier in the summer. The Knicks, though, simply lack the draft picks to sweeten a package that sources say would be centered around Eddy Curry's expiring contract and either Danilo Gallinari or Anthony Randolph -- but not both of those young players.

The Knicks, Bulls and Nets all stand to benefit from Denver's determination to send Anthony out of the Western Conference if it decides there is no alternative apart from trading him, but sources close to the process note that a third team would almost certainly have to be recruited to help facilitate a deal.

Reports have persisted for weeks that Anthony, wielding the hammer of his potential free agency in the wake of the defections of LeBron James and Chris Bosh to Miami, wants out. ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported Aug. 16 that it was "a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will go their separate ways."

But Anthony has not made any such declarations publicly, announcing Tuesday night via his Twitter feed: "Everyone has [their] own opinion. It's funny. It cracks me up."

Yet Anthony did add in a follow-up tweet: "When I know something ... you guys will know something."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5602165

I don't know about everyone else, but the constant mixed messages are becoming a bit annoying at this point. One day we hear the Nets are #1 on his list, then the next day it's the Knicks. We hear the Rockets are in the dscussions, but the tone of most columns is that they don't have a chance. Seems to me, he wouldn't go to a Nets team that after he is traded there would have Brook Lopez and...(crickets chirping) no one else. What trade assets does New York have that are NOT in Houston's hands right now? Chicago is not going to give up Joakim Noah, but outside of him, who else would the Nuggets want that would satisfy their desire for a 'young talent'? We know Daryl Morey has said that Kevin Martin would not be a part of any deal, but it seems the Rockets have just as good or better trade assets as New Jersey. Not that the rockets HAVE to get Carmelo, but...This is getting ridiculous.

TRADE HIM SOMEWHERE, AND GET IT OVER WITH, DENVER! :rolleyes:

2. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Wasnt there a thread stating CHI is out of the loop?

Maybe this was before that.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I think the thread title should be "[ESPN.COM] We keep making **** up because it's the offseason and we don't have any real stories."

2 people like this.
  4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Amen, tired of the same information spun a million different ways so they have something to write each week.

Not a thing has changed.

5. kturner77

kturner77 Member

That is what I thought. This is just plain stupid.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

They have to make up something now that they no longer have the hourly Brett Favre updates from Adam Schefter.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

DEN-CHI talks are stalled over Noah, but Camp Carmelo remains interested

DEN-NYK talks were a non-starter, but Camp Carmelo remains interested

Hou is offering Kevin Martin, yet they're not offering Kevin Martin depending on what report you read.

NJN is offering Favors-Murphy, yet they're not offering Favors depending on what report you read.

It's all kinds of fun trying to keep things straight in the Anthony Derby.

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Don't forget NJN refuses to offer up Lopez, and Carmelo won't sign an extension with NJN according to a shadowy NBA executive.

I wonder what "news" tomorrow will bring? All these summer rumors have been such a waste of time. Why don't we just go ask Stephen A Smith what the haps is?

9. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I would say that any team that Melo stated he would sign an extension with has an EQUAL shot.

Denver Wants:
    1. Cap relief.
    2. A young, marketbale talent.
    3. Draft picks.

NY can offer:
    1. The only thing they can provide is that stupid contract of Curry. They have no picks... Galinari/Randolph are not marketable.

NJ can offer:
    1, 2 and 3, but is reluctant on #2 (Favors/Lopez)

Chi can offer:
    1, 2 and 3, but is reluctant on #2. (Noah)

Hou can offer:
    1 and 3. No, AB or CBud aren't marketable future stars. One could argue that Martin would fit the role as young and marketable... but he's not flashy and doesn't have the star swagger.

If I'm NJ, I'm thinking long-term. You don't trade a guy like Favors or Lopez. The ceiling is too high and they will be around for the next 10+ years.

I'f I'm Chi, I'm thinking WIN NOW! They just signed Boozer to a huge contract. Some of the rookie contracts will be coming up and they are going to have to pay out of the behind to keep all of them. They should trade Noah and not think twice. Thibideaux will put a serviceable defensive C out there.

If I'm NY, I'm thinking WHY DID I TRADE WITH DARYL MOREY??!! I just don't see this happening. Melo wants it to work... but Denver would be bone-headed to deal with the asset-less Knicks. If the Knicks don't make that trade... they have all their picks AND the Jeffries expiring. Hindsight is 20/20 as they lost on the LeTraitor sweepstakes.

If I'm Hou, I'm thinking WIN NOW! Yao's window is unknown. Scola isn't that young and neither is Battier (assuming isn't traded or gets traded and returns after being bought out). While they can rebuild somewhat fast with the young roleplayers they have... they NEED a legit superstar.

Chicago is my frontrunner to land Melo with Houston offering the 2nd best package when it's all said and done.

10. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

The funny thing is you would have never said this if Houston was mentioned.

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

I'm sick of this. What's next, Decision 2010 Part II?

12. 45souf

45souf Member

**** or get of the crapper melo!!!! :cool:

13. Steve_Francis_rules

Actually, I probably would have.

I'd be happy to have Melo on the Rockets, but I'm getting really sick of "reporters" making crap up and trying to sell it as inside information. Just because they might make up crap that favors my team doesn't mean I like it any more.

14. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

Let him go to Chicago.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Houston has been mentioned numerous times.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Anywhere but the Knicks.

17. 45souf

45souf Member

On PTI simmons just said he thinks we will get him...Whatcha think?

18. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

do not want, anyone besides the rockets and knicks is fine with me. all we need is another drunk driver in Houston. :rolleyes:

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

r****ded post. What makes you think he'll be a drunk driver?

20. Steve_Francis_rules

Anthony was arrested on suspicion of DUI in 2008.