1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Espn.Com] Rockets waive Keith Langford and Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Oct 25, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

2. droxford

droxford Member

I believe so.

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

that sucks, after being featured in the paper today.... :(

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what a weird roster he have:

yao-deke
    stro-jho-baxter
    tmac-bowen
    wesley-da-jb-head-glover
    alston-moochie-sura

5 SG's. i know that some of them will find minutes at SF or PG but that is still a very unbalaced roster.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well it did say the 2 probably wouldn't make it onto the team.

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

not too surprising. may play for the nbdl team though.

7. droxford

droxford Member

And, if we need another big body under the hoop, Baxter can provide short-term relief at center.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Stro is an option an center too.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It's better to be overloaded with talent. Glover and Baxter are two good players that can give some time off to T-Mac, DA, Wesley, Swift, JHo, and Yao.

10. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I kinda hoped that we keep Hayes for his relative size and rebounding.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is Luther Head really a SG? I know from a passing perspective he may not be Rafer Alston, but he seems to have excellent ball-handling and amazing speed. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him develope into the Sam Cassel role.

12. Biggienaz786

Biggienaz786 Member

if they do, it won't be on our behalf. nbdl players still count against the roster. but yeah, maybe they caught some other team's attention.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

the way JVG plays them, SGs and SFs are fairly interchangable ... and some of them can play PG too. They are backups.

14. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I would say we are underloaded in Bigs with only 5 of 14 guaranteed contracts, by my count we still have a slot. Our lineup is rather lopsided in perimeter players. Baxter was already on contract, as I understood it, Glover, Hayes, and Langford were brought in for Camp. 'Flyin' Ryan Bowen can play PF in a pinch, but I would be more comfortable with a Big, remember last year.

Glover has been injured, but will probably be waived since he is a 'tweener'. IMO, JVG has been showcasing DW to get his shot back so he can be traded. We are short a SF, also.

BTW: We can't send anyone to Austin that is not on the final roster. Austin may hire them on their own, however.

#14 krocket, Oct 25, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last year we had Howard and basically nobody else. This year we added depth with Stro and Baxter and, as you said, Bowen can play in spots.

Right now we are thinnest at the point, but we have options to mitigate that hole.

16. krocket

I agree if BS doesn't make it back, and he might not. We are really just top-heavy at SG and short in length for our swing men. Think DA can cover Rashard Lewis? I think not.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not worried about the bigs. The 5 guys we have can handle the season. Even if one of them gets injured, we are still adequate at the 4 and 5.

An I am not worried about the 1 either, even though Alston is the only true PG (Moochie doesn't count because he'll be in the inactive list most of the times). Most of the SG varieties we have can handle the ball. And having TMac on the team means that we can get by in stretches without a real PG.

I think our thinnest spot is the 3. You don't want Bowen to be the first sub for TMac. So we'll probably play Anderson and/or Barry when TMac sits. And I really want to reduce TMac's PT in the regular season to reduce the wear and tear on his body. That's why we either trade one of the guards for a SF or keep all of them and use some for the 3 spot. If Sura comes back to form, then we'll be a perfectly balanced and deep team.

18. krocket

Still 40% (2/5) of the big positions only consist of 33% (5/15) players for PF and C. One more big would be 40%/40%. IMO that would be better balance.

19. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

"60 percent of the time it works all the time"

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

pg: alston, head, moochie, sura

sg: wesley, anderson, barry, glover

sf: tracy, anderson, rybo, glover

pf: swift, jho, baxter, rybo

c: yao, deke, swift, and if last season was anything to go by super sub rybo

quite a versatile lot but pg is scary