1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Clemens: Decision to return was "heart-wrenching"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1980113

NEW YORK -- Roger Clemens picked up his latest Cy Young Award at the annual New York baseball dinner Sunday night and said his decision to put off retirement again was "very heart-wrenching."

Then he turned to Joe Torre, his former manager with the Yankees, and practically apologized.

"Skip, I'm really trying to retire, I promise," Clemens said. "I guess we'll just start calling it a comeback."

Earlier this month, the 42-year-old pitcher agreed to an $18 million contract with his hometown Houston Astros, choosing to return for at least one more season. He said one factor was a long chat he had with friend and teammate Andy Pettitte, who told Clemens that his rehabilitation from elbow surgery was progressing nicely.

The Rocket ended a brief retirement last offseason to join Pettitte in Houston and went 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA and 218 strikeouts, earning his record seventh Cy Young Award -- first in the National League.

"There are so many things that I've learned about Cy Young through the years," Clemens said. "So to have my name linked with his is truly an honor."

Minnesota left-hander Johan Santana also received his AL Cy Young Award from the New York chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. He was introduced by a choked-up teammate, closer Joe Nathan, and dedicated the honor to his native Venezuela.

Later on, Clemens had a similar thought.

"I'm going to take this to my country, too. The country of Texas," he told the crowd.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

How about the Country of Clemens:

Population: 1
    GNP: 18,000,000
    Exports: High Fastball

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

He's got 18 million heart wrenching reasons to come back

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The man is money, and I'm damb glad he's back in burnt orange.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

He's gonna be a Longhorn?!

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

My vision might be a little bit off at the momment, but I swear I'm staring at a burnt Astros cap right now.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad he is back, but get tired of reading about how hard it was to come back.

DD

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I believe he also exports borken bats to NY. :D

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

All this means is that Dreigton sux. Go non-Dreighton GMs and owners!!! You pwned!!!!!!!

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This act has really gotten old.

11. redgoose

What does re signing Roger have to do with Drayton sucking?

If anything he would have gotten more critisism for not bringing Roger back.

Somebody please enlighten me. :confused:

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Eh, I still like it.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm sure it was heart wrenching, from a family perspective...There are $18MM reasons, but still, all that money can't prolong his mom's life...

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

\

Think he meant Tenn.

15. redgoose

I wonder how much money Clemens would have asked for if we brought back Beltran and Kent. :confused: Then he would have known we'd be a contender again.

I think he's gonna have the type of season RJ had last year. Pitch a great game only giving up 2 runs and still get the loss. That is, unless we somehow get some fire power for the offense through trade, or Morgan and Lane step it up big time.