1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Chandler and possibly Malik Allen for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith (In the Works)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The Hornets keep wheeling and dealing..... :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2508889

Bulls make bold move, but Hornets are being bolder

They've managed to strip Detroit of its beloved Ben Wallace, but the Chicago Bulls can't quite claim to be the surprise team of this fledging NBA offseason.

Especially not if the Bulls complete the trade they're discussing with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday night that the Bulls were close to shipping Tyson Chandler to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith.

That would rank as the third bold move by the Hornets in the space of a week, after years of criticism endured by Hornets owner George Shinn over his reluctance to spend.

New Orleans/Oklahoma City commenced its summer makeover by offering Peja Stojakovic a five-year deal worth more than $60 million to entice the sharpshooting former All-Star to leave the Indiana Pacers. That was Saturday.

On Sunday, Shinn followed the Stojakovic coup by sanctioning a three-year commitment worth more than $15 million to Memphis Grizzlies guard Bobby Jackson.

If the Hornets and Bulls go ahead with the proposed deal, Shinn will absorb the remaining five years and $54 million on Chandler's six-year, $63 million contract signed last summer.

The venerable Brown, who turns 37 in October, has only one season left on his contract at $8 million. If the swap goes through, as multiple sources expect -- and depending on whether other players are thrown in; Chicago's Malik Allen has been mentioned as a possible add-on -- New Orleans/Oklahoma City will have committed to well over $120 million in new contracts in a matter of hours.

It would add up to the most unexpected outlay ever seen from Shinn, even more unexpected than the big contracts he awarded Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn in the club's Charlotte days. Those moves were contract extensions. The Hornets have never been known for making offseason splashes such as these.

Yet, this deal holds obvious appeal on both sides.

Hornets coach Byron Scott, himself the recipient of a three-year contract extension just before the draft, wants to play an up-tempo game and will inevitably see the more athletic Chandler, at 7-foot-1 and turning 24 in October, as a better fit than Brown alongside Rookie of the Year point guard Chris Paul, Stojakovic and power forward David West.

The trade makes even more sense for the Bulls. They are unlikely to play two non-scorers together (Chandler and Wallace), and moving out Chandler's expensive contract for Brown's expiring deal will make it easier to absorb Wallace's four-year package, which is believed to be worth $60 million.

Brown, furthermore, is regarded as one of the best locker-room influences in the league and, along with Wallace, would provide legitimate size ... as well as the veteran know-how lacking in Chicago since the breakup of Michael Jordan's Bulls after their sixth and final championship in 1998.

The teams can't officially consummate a trade before July 12 and, as of late Monday night, they had not verbally agreed to the exchange. But the sides, according to various sources, were closing in on the stage of verbal agreement, with Shinn apparently prepared to sanction another long-term expenditure and the Bulls knowing they're unlikely to get a player in return for Chandler who helps them in as many ways as Brown.

2. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

damn..this will be interesting...

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not a bad trade for both sides. the hornets looked to be quite improved next year should be a good year for NO both in bball and football (brees and bush!) nice to see that city get something back.

that being said the rockets better make some real smart moves this offseason. not fast, smart. teams are getting stronger in the west and if they expect to make a move they need to get some more talent somehow

the bulls man, all i can say is that paxson is an amazing gm. 4 years ago this team was looking like crap. smart draft choices and deals (and isiah) have made the bulls a legit contender again

4. dream2franchise

The Hornets are bolstering their line-up for sure, I don't see a successful playoff team here though, Chris Paul would really have to step up because Peja and Tyson have proven to be no-shows in the play-offs.

I'm hoping that the Rockets explore a possible deal for JR Smith, i think he could really be a good player for us, but he goes against our anti knuckle-head direction so i don't see it happening anyway.

So the Hornets will have a line-up of:
    PG Paul
    SG Mason
    SF Peja
    PF West
    C Chandler

Thats a good offseason right there, well done to the brass if this goes through.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Man its so strange to see donald sterling and george shinn spending big money...

6. TizzyT

TizzyT Member

There goes any dream of us possibly getting J.R.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't know man, People saying "No knuckleheads, Not a JVG kinda guy etc etc"..

Truthfully, I don't think we're in any position to be picky.

Rocket's do not have an abundance in assets(for trades) nor do they seem like a desireable free agent destination(thanks to CD/JVG screwing DA and Stro). :(

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really like this move for Chicago. I wasn't crazy about the Ben Wallace signing because I do believe he's on the decline, BUT now they've basically swapped an under-achieving Chandler for an over-achieving Wallace AND they'll still be a player on the free agent market next year. Not bad at all.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I for one would be glad to see PJ Brown leave the Hornets. That guy is the biggest reason why the Hornets have owned us recently. He always does a great job defensively on Yao, and then he never seems to miss that jumper on the offensive end. Chandler, on the other hand, has not given Yao many problems, and he's a non-factor on offense.

Add to that the fact that Claxton is leaving as well. We got scorched by their small guard lineup, and Bobby Jackson is not the threat to break down the defense that speedy is. The Peja addition looks good on paper, but Peja has not been a guy who hurt us that consistently, and Tmac or Battier match up pretty well with him.

The hornets are improved, and will win more games than last year, but I think we will do better against them.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

How did they screw DA. They sent him to the eventual world champs. DA has a title ring thanks to CD/JVG. Can't argue with Stro though.

11. dream2franchise

Well thats true, but we are all trying to do things through JVG's eyes which is why we come across as picky, because we all know that if it isn't his type of player (self motivated, intelligent, quick learner, no arrogance) he can't coach them.

He doesn't have the patience for guys like JR.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yup. The fact that PJ expires next year and they can go after an "over the top" free agent in a very strong free agent pool, puts them in amazing shape for the present and future.

13. Diaw

Diaw Member

add bobby jackson and their 2 rookies (hilton armstrong/cedric simmons), and it's becoming scary ...

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Maybe. They still have the Hinrich/Sweetney/Nocioni contracts to account for heading into 07-08.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seems like the Bulls are in WIN NOW mode too

Rocket River

16. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Definetly

After all their good players rookie contracts run out and it is time for them to get paid, they wont be able to collectively have this much young talent on a team

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i like their win now mode better than ours.

18. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Jep, those two rookies are pretty good also! Wake up Rockets!

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Stro screwed himself, by February everyone in the Houston media knew he would be in a new uniform this season. Though I blame CD for ever bringing the guy to the Rox in the first place, never actually had a chance to watch him over a 5 game period. But when I did you could see that he had no game other than dunks and a mediocre jump shot. Kind of makes me question CD's eye for talent if he thought Stro was an answer for Houston. Sorry, to get off the subject but he was a waste of 1 year in the rebuilding process.

This trade looks like a good for Chicago, Paxon is a great GM. Chicago gets rid of a burdensome contract and gets cap flex again after signing Wallace. NO gets rid of a problem player in Smith for a pretty good young scorer in Malik Allan. Chandler is a question mark to me, great physical skills but man he has under achieved, I just don't see him starting in NO, and to have a $60M bench player just doesn't make sense.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Why is the Hornets lineup scary with Chandler in it. He seems like nothing special to me.