1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Block-apela: Rockets center leads a defense that is silencing foes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, May 7, 2018.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23429184/clint-capela-leads-lockdown-rockets-defense

SALT LAKE CITY -- Clint Capela provided the exclamation point to the Houston Rockets' 100-87 win over the Utah Jazz, swatting Joe Ingles' layup attempt just before the final buzzer of Sunday's Game 4, the big man's career-high-tying sixth blocked shot of the night.

Rockets superstar James Hardenimmediately rushed toward him, close enough for the probable MVP's famed whiskers to brush Capela's face. Harden grabbed Capela and hollered a congratulatory message, using a little language you wouldn't want the national television microphones to pick up.

"I can't exactly tell you what I said to him," Harden said with a smile. "He's put himself in this position to go out there and play at a high level and do the things that we ask him to do every single night. I mean, he has our back, and it feels good to have somebody have our back like he does. He doesn't get a lot of credit for it."

Ah, Capela is starting to get plenty of credit, as it's impossible to ignore his impact on the Rockets' playoff run. His 12-point, 15-rebound, six-swat, two-steal night in the win over the Jazz came as no surprise. Capela has been a dominant force during the first two rounds, outplaying a pair of elite centers in Minnesota's Karl-Anthony Towns and Utah's Rudy Gobert, to help put Houston on the brink of a much anticipated Western Conference finals matchup with the Golden State Warriors.

Harden and Chris Paul are Houston's headliners, but the Rockets knew all along that they needed the 23-year-old Capela to emerge as a legitimate third star to have a legitimate chance to challenge the defending champion Warriors. That happened during the regular season, when Capela averaged 13.9 points and 10.8 rebounds while leading the league in field goal percentage (.652), and the Rockets rolled the NBA's best record.

The springy center from Switzerland has taken another big leap during the playoffs. Capela is averaging 15.4 points, 13.0 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game, and those numbers tell only part of the tale.

For instance, Paul attributes much of his midrange assassination of the Jazz to Capela's presence. Gobert knows if he strays too far from Capela that Paul will feed him for a dunk, keeping the NBA's premier rim protector close to the basket. Paul gladly takes those midrange looks - "layups for me" - and knocked down 11 of 17 jumpers inside the 3-point line while scoring a game-high 27 points Sunday.

"It's so many things that happen throughout the game that don't show up on the stat sheet," Paul said of Capela. "It shows how selfless he is."

Paul specifically mentioned another play, a steal he made off a pass Donovan Mitchell made due to Capela's interior defense. Utah coach Quin Snyder bemoaned the Jazz's poor finishing in this game, noting that Utah missed almost 22 of its 45 attempts at the rim, but acknowledged that Capela significantly factored into that equation.

Capela has been a dominant rim protector during the postseason, but some of his most impressive defensive work has come on the perimeter. The former soccer player's quick feet give the Rockets the luxury of running a switch-everything scheme. Time after time, Capela has made it difficult for Jazz guards, even rookie sensation Mitchell, to generate good looks after they get him on an island in isolation situations.

"He makes winning plays," Snyder said of Capela, which is about as lofty a compliment as an opposing coach can give a player.

Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni has been heaping praise on Capela since arriving in Houston a couple of summers ago, calling him the ideal big man for the modern-day game. D'Antoni often said that improving his endurance is the final hurdle for Capela establishing himself as an elite center.

The Rockets require to constantly play like his hair is on fire, sprinting the court, setting screens, rolling hard to the rim, fighting for rebounds, chasing guards on the perimeter and challenging shots. He has the most physically taxing job on the team. That's why minutes might be Capela's most notable stat from the playoffs. He's averaging 32 minutes a game, up from 27.5 during the regular season. Capela played 36 minutes in Houston's Game 3 win, matching his previous career high, and then logged 37 minutes in Game 4.

"I think he pole vaulted over the hurdle," D'Antoni said. "He cleared it by a lot. And the guy was incredible the whole time."

There was a moment in Game 4 when fatigue was a concern for Capela. With about four minutes remaining, Capela motioned to the Rockets' bench that he needed a breather. D'Antoni called a timeout and started to send a sub in for Capela, but the big man told him not to bother.

"Two minutes was enough for me," Capela said, referring to the length of the timeout. "That's what I was asking for. I was like, 'We have the timeout, so I'm good, I'm ready to go back.' I went back out there and felt great."

That was apparent during perhaps the best defensive stretch of Capela's young career. He stole a Raul Neto pass on the Rockets' next defensive possession and then blocked five shots in the final 2:39, putting the finishing touches on another dominant performance.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Clint Capelacopter!@!!

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was wondering why MDA called that timeout late in the 4th

Rocket River and Richie_Rich like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

DonKnock and Killatron 2000 like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

B-Bob and D-rock like this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Gobert was talking the big game two years ago.

#7 Bandwagoner, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Tfor3, Invisible Fan, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I like the new Capela

he has some big time swag. No longer 2nd fiddle to anyone. Swiss cheesing them up

D-rock, Tfor3 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Former soccer player. It's really unreal how much he looks like Hakeem. A big man who gets steals because of footwork and quickness.

Where have we seen this before?

arabrocket, da_juice, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

arabrocket and Houstunna like this.
  11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

12. airflights92

airflights92 Member

Kneel before Capellajuon!

Houstunna and D-rock like this.
  13. mockster

mockster Member

Zaza: it would be ashame if capela got hurt in the WCF

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Capela didn't just block 6 shots. He altered 20, and the Jazz missed 22 of 45 at the rim. That's a bigger impact at the defensive end than anybody had at the offensive end.

A00man, BMoney, Tfor3 and 11 others like this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WHO WANTS TO SEX CAPELA??!?!?!

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The last few paragraphs of that article was always the big key for me (taking my cue from Coach's stated biggest concern)--the endurance issue.

As MDA says, "he pole vaulted over that hurdle." He went 37 minutes and his best minutes were the last two. Fantastic.

I also like the quote of Capela saying he did need a breather with 4 minutes left, but all he needed was the 2 minutes of a timeout, and "then I felt great." I guess so...lulz. As runners who do wind sprints will tell you, getting winded then feeling recovered within two minutes is a good sign that you are in top shape wrt endurance.

Maybe the last two minutes was part Utah getting desperate with attacking foolishly, and part everyone being more winded than Capela.

#16 heypartner, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Tfor3, Deuce, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  17. jboslett

jboslett Member

Loved how he responded to Mitchell tying him up for that jump ball. I think it intimidated Mitchell as much as it may have sparked Clint.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love this kid. Capela my fella! He brings it, all night, every night. I remember commentators laughing about the phrase "Houston's Big Three." They are not laughing now.

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I know this is getting ahead, but there's no way we can let this guy walk. The Rockets need to give him the MAX and make him stay in H-town

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Jazz fans be like: "What happens when the best defense meets the best offense?"

Answer: You don't have the best defense.

D-rock and Tfor3 like this.