1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Battier, Hayes on Hollinger's All-Defense Teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Battier made #1 SG for being the best defender on the second-best defensive team in the NBA. Hayes made #3 PF behind Rasheed and Garnett, beneath Rasheed mainly because he lost his starting role and subsequently played fewer minutes.

LINK

Transcript:

2. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

Hollinger has always been a Rockets sympathizer (when they are winning). I like him. This is good. I was shocked that he added Hayes in there, but he deserves it.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This can't be correct. Score and scores of Clutchfan members are sure that Hayes isn't an elite defender because he doesn't block 3+ shots a game and because he can't throw down sick dunks. How can they be wrong? (sarcasm off)

Shall we start the "I'm sorry Chuck Hayes. I don't know anything about defense or basketball in general" thread so they can make amends? :p

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

If we go by Hollinger's numbers... Chuck is the number 3 defensive player in the league... behind

Kevin Garnett, Boston (8.22)
    Keyon Dooling, Orlando (7.98)
    Chuck Hayes, Houston (7.46)

5. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Daryl Morey himself had said before that Chuck Hayes is a top 5 (or maybe it was top 10) defender in the league. I dunno why ppl around here find it so hard to believe that.

6. luisantonio1014

Rafer should have at least been mentioned for 3rd team. Having Rondo and Kobe in there puzzled me. Kobe's a little overrated defensively, I guess cause they don't have much to choose from at SG. He's good at swiping the ball away, but that's it. I don't remember Rondo playing D when we played them, but his whole season I wouldn't know.

7. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

It's because people only love offense. Defense that doesn't include steals and shot-blocking is something most fans don't appreciate. Too bad.

8. luisantonio1014

If you think Hayes isn't a top defender, then you don't know what you're watching in games.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Kobe made a name for himself as a hell of a defender early in his career. I remember a young Kobe absolutely bamboozling one Scottie Maurice Pippen in several games. He shut Scottie down although we could argue that Pippen was distracted thinking about another one of his lucrative investments.

Over the last few seasons his defense has consisted of gambling on steals and only giving a true "lock down" effort a few times a game. This season, he seems to have returned to playing sound all around defense but he still isn't the defender he was early in his career (certainly due to the burden he carries on offense).

As a side note, that is one of the things that prevents Kobe from sniffing MJ's status. Mike carried as much or more offensive burden as Kobe and played lock down defense every night.

10. luisantonio1014

yea people think blocks and steals are the only things in defense. There's more, like positioning, that players like Battier and Hayes are good at which makes them good defenders.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Rondo is a great defensive PG, probably the best since Payton was in his prime. His ridiculously long arms and quickness allow him to wreak havoc.

12. Hayesfan

Rajon has really long arms, much like a Tayshaun Prince, and really strong hands (and freakishly long fingers...not to mention his quick feet) so he does really well defensively.

Between him and Garnett they anchor the Boston defense.

Edit...

I took too long to type that response and you beat me to it!! :)

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Two first teamers and a third teamer. Is Hollinger a Kentucky grad?

14. luisantonio1014

If Kobe tried as much on defense as offense, he would be an elite defender. He amazed me last year with the national team with his defense, which is why I wonder why he doesn't bring that to the Lakers. Early in his career he was able to stay in front his man and beat guys to the ball because he was young and fast, and the only way he would get the ball. When I watch him now, He only gets as close as 2 feet to his man without applying pressure. He occasionally swipes at cutters to get the ball away, but that's it.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

His quick hands are something Hollinger failed to mention. Nice selections though. Good job.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I like Rafer as a defensive PG (this year), but he's not up there with Paul or Harris or Baron. Maybe on the level of Parker, but even that is questionable. He's a slight notch below most of those guys.

And Kobe? He absolutely deserves that spot. I don't know what you've been watching.

17. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

Rafer Alston anyone!? WTF!!! I could understand Rondo, but no other PG this year has played better D at that position than Rafer. He mans up, doesn't take ill-advised gambles, and if its a bigger physical guard he drives them into help defenders. Rafer must be on an All-Defensive team or it will be a major travesty.

Chuck Hayes is what you find when you google defense.

Shane Battier for defensive player of the year hands down.

18. Hayesfan

LOL Not that I know of. Though to be realistic all three of those guys played under Tubby Smith who runs one of the more complicated defenses in college basketball.

Tubby is a lot like JVG, you don't play defense, you don't play.

19. luisantonio1014

I gotta watch this guy a little more then. I wonder if he uses those really big shoulders on D. That would hurt!

20. luisantonio1014

Dude, I know guys from Cali who watch nothing but Lakers games who say that he is a little overrated defensively.

I'm not saying he's a bum on defense, I'm just saying he gets the nod because there aren't that many good defenders at SG.