1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN anchor Jemele Hill called President Donald Trump a white supremacist.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Daddy Long Legs, Sep 13, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In what world is being a wealthy businessman and/or a celebrity automatically disqualify you from being a White Supremacist? So if you get more money and fame you all the sudden become more woke, accepting, and humble?

Dude.. Trump has been a race baiter since the 70's. His public profile was launched off of a court case of racially discriminating. One's IQ should be checked if you ignore 40 years of obvious behavior.

But... is Trump a KKK card carrying member or Neo Nazi???... not really in the traditional sense I'm sure.. But he does understand and stoke the racial divides in this country for his own benefit. Trump is an opportunist that has used race for years to benefit just like when he was selling high end condos in the 70's that come without worry of having to live next to black people. So I'm not sure what is worse, being a white supremacist, or simply being an opportunist who is benefiting off of it, and has been for decades.

His most recent attempt at opportunistically using racism to further his career is just too obvious to spend time on. Starting with Birtherism to having campaign whose number 1 slogan was about building a wall to keep out Mexicans.

Yeah... not a racist or white supremacist sure..... believe what you want. But there is no way on earth you can say with a straight face that he's not a self aggrandizing POS that uses racism to further his career... which I'm not sure is any better.

2. Nook

Nook Member

On a side note.... where is the NRA when
    Honestly I had this conversation with a political scientist and presidential historian. At this end of the day does it matter what is in his heart? I don't think so, and they do not either. What matters is his policies and the actual outcomes. He is well aware of who his supporters are the policies that he has pursued. There is no walking back what he has said, and the damage that he has done to the office of the Presidency.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Boston has a serious race issue to this day..... so does Chicago, St. Louis and a number of other Midwest and Northern cities. Black people flooded into these towns for manufacturing jobs and were in many cases not welcomed.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is the "even if he's not, he is" argument that I've seen pop up more and more recently.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... which is a reaction to "even though he acts like a full blown white supremacist, it is all just an act" deflection/diversion.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

so its racist to point out racism where you think you see it, but totally not racist to say that an american-born judge can not be unbiased b/c he is mexican?

JayGoogle, No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

It is a variation, but I had the same issue with Bernie Sanders as well.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that comment is most definitely racist. There is more and more evidence that the guy is a racist.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The answer is nope, totally wrong as usual but not surprised because you libs have a mental disorder. First of all, I never claimed her twitter posts about trump were racists, only that she should be fired if espn was consistent.

I DID say that her Celtics commentary from the past and her specific twitter post about whites and their ability to ignore and not be threatened by white supremacy was racist. I stand by that and don't give me that Blacks can't be racist bullshit either. She has a platform and an audience to deliver racist views.

Regarding the Trumps judge comments, I think it's a stupid thing said by a very stupid person. But if you're telling me that no biases based on racial, sexual, social, etc.. prejudices exist in the American court system you're FULL OF ****.

Answer me this, why does the Voir Dire process involve attempts at all male, all female, all white, all black, all republican, all democrats, etc... type of tactics? Why do males get 63% longer prison sentences than women? Why woman are twice as likely over men to avoid charges & conviction altogether? Why do blacks receive 60% longer sentences for exact same convictions as compared to other races? Why do lawmakers and political parties figuratively go to war over Supreme Court choices? Should I keep going...

The answer to all of those ?'s, is "BIAS." The American Justice System is so full of biases only a jackass would say differently. Oh and Jellybelly Hill would agree with me on American Justice System biases too!

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

keep going with this. tell me how many people you convince with this stupid garbage.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No one is going to convince anyone of anything in this message board no matter how convincing the argument is.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Other than "because race!" I don't understand the ongoing interest in the topic.

She can say what she wants.
    ESPN has the right to fire her or keep her employed. They can be consistent or not and risk litigation either way.
    Presidents asking for apologies is a bad look, but he can (clearly) say and tweet what he wants.

We all have the right to not watch ESPN, which I recommend most heartily. :D That's separate from this specific issue and personality and president.

JayGoogle and pgabriel like this.
  13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Everyone is racist. Hill and Trump are just making sure that things don't get any better.

ipaman likes this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

I mostly agree with you.

In answer to your question about the ongoing interest in this topic, it is the obvious double standard ESPN is employing for liberals vs. what previous conservative commentators have expressed. Over the top political comments like those espoused by Hill have in the past resulted in termination of employment. In this case it has not. To me this is simply because of one of two things:

1. ESPN management agrees with the sentiment and really is a liberal leaning network disguising itself as a sports network.
    2. ESPN management is cowed because Ms. Hill is black and doesn't want to face the backlash that accompanies such a decision.

15. No Worries

TheFreak likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Clarification: This article previously referred to Hill's comments as her "first offense." Hill had never been disciplined for disobeying ESPN's rules on discussing politics, but she was suspended in 2008 while she was an ESPN columnist for a joke comparing rooting for the Boston Celtics to rooting for Adolf Hitler.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I think its more to do with being a business decision/calculation than a 1st or 2nd time offender situation.

Had it been a smarter business decision to fire her despite being her first offense, they would have.

Or as Trump fans would say: "That makes them smart!"

That being said, what she said about Trump is not wrong.

18. No Worries

Maybe ESPN lets Jemele Hill get away with public political comments, once per decade.

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't follow her twitter but she doesn't seem like the type to shy away from posting political opinions. Her recent exchange with Dez had a political tone. I just think her presidential comments and 2008 comments just crossed a line.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, agree. Hill and Smith were just recently slotted into the SC6 program and desirable time slot, specifically to help ESPN reinvigorate itself. Firing her would have been bad business.

On the flip side, her making statements like that is also bad business. If you are trying to help ESPN curb its viewership decline, you don't do that by saying things that will piss off half your potential audience.

Whether what she said about Trump is wrong or not isn't the issue. Simply making such comments is dumb, particularly when it is far from clear if they are in fact correct. It is, at best, an opinion, and ESPN doesn't seem to want to get into the political opinions business.

They do, however, outside of the business impacts of this particular incident, seem to allow far more leeway for liberal political opinions than they do for conservative ones. (forget Schilling, see: Bomani Jones). I know more than one conservative who has stopped watching ESPN because of that. Something ESPN should think more about.