1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] 200 best-paying teams in the world (Rockets at #18)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CompaqC, Apr 25, 2011.

1. choujie

choujie Member

According to this rank, Cuban is cheaper than Les. Sounds like an April fool joke to me.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

But look at the number of games they play compared to basketball and baseball players.

3. Air Bullard

Air Bullard Member

The vast majority of salaries in the English Premier League are not public knowledge, therefore many of these numbers can be thrown into question as already noted. If anything, this just shows how inflated NBA salaries are compared to other leagues and sports.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Not surprising. The Rockets tend to pay much better than most franchises. I still dont that perception that you can make the same money elsewhere? You want premium pay Rockets are a elite team. You can ask TMac and Yao what they made in their careers. Two b level superstars who never won anything are the highest paid players in the NBA and constant endorsement deals and show contracts. Some of the most well of athletes have came to Houston. I get some people dont want some players to come here. Try not to slander our city by spreading false information like this destination isnt desirable money wise though. That is false completely. Every free agent should know that and their agents. Come on! Yao Ming tapped an entire country of China! Tmac was one of the highest paid players EVER!

So please. Try to never use this as a negative against our team again next time we have destination discussions and how desirable the Rockets are.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

The teams are ranked by a player's average salary per WEEK, not per game. And seasons in the various sports are roughly the same number of weeks long.

6. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. Every team would extend Tmac a Max at that time, every team would have signed Yao a Max at that time. That's not "pay much better than most franchise".

kenyon martin got Max from Denver, Rashard Lewis got 100mil from Rolando. Now that's "pay much better than most franchise".

For Rockets, Kevin Cato would be a better example. But that was long time ago. Les hasn't payed anybody significantly higher than market value for the last 10 years.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think I must have forgotten but didnt Tmac make more than Kobe Bryant at one point? I am sure he is up there and no people wouldnt not have for sure structured his contract like that elsewhere. Yao got a golden opportunity here the way Les Alexander formed every aspect of the Rockets to endorse his Chinese background and send the Rockets to play games in China. That is not true either that this would happen alot of other places exactly like it happened here.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

In Minnesota lets say? You think Twolves rename their stadium the Toyota center and then have Chinese reporters from all over and the same huge media brought in to discuss Yao? The same huge deal made about him at every opportunity and then every aspect of your franchise themed to Chinese so that they could grow their base like Les Alexander did? Like Yao was able to benifit from? I dont think so and thats exactly why they havent got rid of Yao yet. Which other teams might have by now.

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I just think some posters intentionally devalued the Rockets so that your unfavorite players would not look to come here. Which is not healthy for our franchise to put out false and undervalued perceptions. Does not help the Rockets one bit with future players just because you dont want a certain player here. Rockets are top notch elite when it comes to destination usually. Just so many fought that perception that now its going the opposite direction about what people now think of us. All because some people didnt want Amare, Bosh, or insert whoever here and so the devalue of our franchise started to argue against having them here.

Dont do that anymore people.

10. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. That is making money from Yao and China, every team would do that if the owner is not too stupid.

11. worzel gummidge

As choujie has pointed out the only reason the Rockets rank higher than the Mavs must be because the Rockets signed less players than them during this season.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You act as if this common what Yao has done with us. I dont see no "year of the Yao" whoever movies for any other NBA player.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Actually Houston is a good place for athletes. They don't need to pay state tax for home games. And Houson is not a small market city.

But that doesn't make Les a very good owner. He belongs to the average group.

14. choujie

choujie Member

I don't think that movie is produced by Les.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We are talking NBA history here with these players and their contracts and how they are looked at with these players. The names they made for themselves on top of money.

"The Dream" first international Superstar to lead his team to a Championship and NBA legend

Yao first Chinese star with national appeal and voted into the allstar game despite not playing last year. One o fthe highest paid players

Tmac one of the highest paid athletes in the NBA per year. Ever.

Francis made into the franchise here and goes elsewhere and does nothing

Martins career resurrected into almost a Superstar again

Scola turned into international famous basketball player

Landry becomes a major cog in a team about to push Lakers to brink after he got chance to do so with Rockets

Ariza pushed into limelight further by Rockets after stint with Lakers

Artest becomes a big thing to everyone when he comes here. Only to also leave Lakers as a star again after redeaming his career here.

Mutumbo alltime leading shotblocker and NBA embassador.

Moses Malones career as Rocket.

Elvin Hayes

Calvin Murphy

Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, and Jeff Van Gundy all becoming TNT analysts after their popular careers as Rockets.

Rick Barry

John Barry TNT

I can go on and on about the opportunities players got from being part of this organization.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

and its not just money here. Its exposure that makes you money you wouldnt have playing for other teams barring its the Lakers or Knicks.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do they compare salaries across different sports? It doesn't make sense.

It's like comparing salaries of law firms with marketing firms, engineering companies, hospitals, etc.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am sure right now. Carmelo is wishing he would have choose the Rockets. I am sure right now even though Bosh is doing well anonymously? He would have been a bigger star here in Houston than being nearly invisible behind Dwayne Wade and Lebron James now. In the long run Bosh would have made way more money with us. On top of his max contract if he played here. So you see. They made bad decisions unless Bosh wins a Championship and is content with being the third wheel and never looked at as the top man again.

19. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. There are so many false statements here and I don't even want to point them out.

Thsoe TNT lines really makes me laugh. JVG might still be coaching and Tom Thibodeau would be helping Rockets instead of Bulls/Celtics to become contenders if Les was that great.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I still dont get what your trying to prove? You trying to say the Rockets organization sucks and does not hold these advantages to have helped some of these guys through exposure from playing on our teams? Its great destination and it is proven for players careers and exposure to being top NBA stars. So what part of that is not true?