1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Erin Popovich, wife of Spurs coach, passes away

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Doesn’t make it fishy if he was told right before she asked. It seemed like he was still processing the news.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

lol you act like the warriors reactions are unique compared to everyone else's

Nook, Jontro and J.R. like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Sad for him and his family, what a tough year for him, personally and professionally.

Pops, RudyT and Don Nelson are probably my favorite NBA coaches. One of them being vastly better than the other 2, obviously.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Condolences to the poop family.

I hope he does, for his sake.

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Sad news, RIP to Erin, 40+ years of being together and then poof, she’s gone. It’s terrifying.

Nice to see the NBA rally behind Pop everywhere. Knowing him, he will be back pretty soon, he’s a tough SOB, condolences to Gregg.

daywalker02 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. mig0s

mig0s Member

If he doesnt, his trade value would fall so hard. No one/team would respect him

Jontro likes this.
  7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

To me, LeBron gave a reaction that looked like he literally just found out on air and that prompted reaction by those who saw it to be disgusted by the reporter, similar like @el gnomo 's reaction. Enough people commented on the reporter that the tweet had to come out to defend the reporter saying she gave LeBron a head's up on it. It's fishy to me because LeBron had to reenact the surprise reaction for the camera's sake.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Send some positive and good vibes to Pop and his family.

9. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Damn. Terrible news. Thoughts are with Pops and his family. RIP.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Setting aside the San Antonio - Houston rivalry, the Spurs have been a team I really admire and enjoy watching for many years, in part due to the respct I have for Coach Pop. this is a really sad story and my prayers go to Gregg Popovich and the Popovich family and Spurs organization.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sorry for Pop and his families loss. May they find the strength to get through what has to be a very difficult, heartbreaking, time of their lives.

Having said that, I do want to comment on the reporter and LBJ situation.

At first it appeared, based on timing, game ongoing, and LBJ's reaction, that Allie LaForce did not give him a heads up. Immediately damn near the entire world went hard after Allie LaForce calling her out and calling her names that I won't repeat here. The first thought that jumped in my head... those folks learned from Pop on how to treat reporters like trash. At the time (I thought LBJ didn't know) I felt sorry for her even if she did what she was accused of doing because of the terrible reaction towards her. I even rationalized it that it must have been a producer in her ear. I felt sorry for the reaction to her professionally and personally. LBJ even had to come to her defense. Again, I kept thinking about how Pop treats and speaks to reporters and everyone "loves" him for it, and folks doing the same now. No one defended those reporters when they were "abused" by Pop. Instead folks made fun of them while praising Pop at the same time. For the record I've always hated that he does that and hated even more that he got praised for it.

Continuing..., the negative and terrible reaction so swift towards Allie LaForce, TNT (EJ) has to read a statement where we find out LBJ knew in advance but what was done was done in regard to Allie LaForce. Now I and many others shift towards why LBJ looked surprised, like it was the first time he heard the news?! We're left wondering did LBJ "act" for the cameras? Given his persona and brand along with the knowledge we know he knew, it's not that unreasonable to conclude he "acted" for the rep. Which if true is just awful to use someone's death to build up your own brand/image and rep. I mean that's some nefarious **** right there. To use someone's death to build up your image?!?! ******* who does that type of ****?!?

So I'm left with..., it's clear that this was a perfect storm that exposes them all. The media, the LBJ selling his images/brands, etc... all of them should be ashamed and it proves to me that the topic (not about sports) should have never been touched. I get made fun of and called out for wanting my sports to be only sports and to keep real life out of sports but this just proves my point. Anytime money is involved either to sell a product or brand the intent of those folks cannot be trusted. TNT trying to sell drama, LBJ trying to sell his image, both using the death of a man's wife of 40 years is flat out disgusting. Keep life out of sports and none of this disgusting bullshit happens.

#51 ipaman, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    fba34 likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ugh, please stop. These people know Pop on a personal level. It’s unfair to assume their desire to express condolences publicly, and to forget the game for a moment, is not genuine.

13. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

Very sorry for Pop! RIP Erin...Absent from the body, present with the Lord!

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. ipaman

Ugh, please stop. I know bullshit when I see it and when you're TNT who had to be first not best (all media nowadays), you pull **** like this. And when you're LBJ and your reaction is like it's the first time you've heard those words when later we find out you already heard, please...

If LBJ cared about Pop on that level ONLY, he would have declined in the pre-interview to discuss the subject (just like Pop has chosen for months now to not bring it up at all) and instead send condolences privately. But nope... all of a sudden TNT and LBJ want dive right in.

Real talk..., they (TNT LBJ) care about Pop and the NBA family but they care about other **** too and all involved took an opportunity they didn't have too or that anyone asked for. They will deny it but they should a took a page from Pop himself who kept that **** quiet and private for a reason until he had no choice. But nah... gotta be first and gotta continue to build that image.

fba34 likes this.
  16. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

You're looking too far into this. So LeBron knew. If I told you a wife of a friend passed away, then asked you to comment like 2 minutes later, you'd have no reaction and a perfect speech ready? No. LeBron's response was genuine as he struggled to make some sort of positive comment on the matter.

I'm not sure why we needed the announcement and the question unless Pop wanted it that way.

Little Bit likes this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Stfu and go away. You’re doing the same thing as them. Let this be about pops wife, if you wanna write a thesis on the reporter stuff go start another thread

18. ipaman

Remember... I don't think TNT or LBJ should have gone there and both had a chance to say no and both didn't. Knowing that, I have my opinions why neither could resist.

They went there voluntarily so I can talk about them going there. I wouldn't if they didn't so stfu and go away.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

^ Angry internet dude.

20. ipaman

^ASLEEP

<WOKE