1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon showing flashes of superstarism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Oct 11, 2017.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Gordon definitely looked like a different animal tonight, but im curious as to how long this play will continue. Is it just fresh legs? Did he kick his own ass into prime shape in the offseason? Really, it wouldnt be too far fetched to say he's tapped open part of his game that he's been trying to develop for years. Maybe CP3 pushed that along? Idk. All speculation, but I'd be ecstatic if he plays anywhere near this level the rest of the year.

s3ts, BigShasta and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He still can't get to Allstar level because of Harden and Chris Paul his assist numbers get reduced. He has to rebound like crazy.

He can only do as much. His scoring is really nice.

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Maybe CP3 gave him tricks to slow the game down mentally for him.. whatever it is keep it up Ego lmao all we can ask

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

E.G. has always had tremendous talent. Before the injuries, dude had stardom written all over. Now that he is finally healthy, perhaps his play is just gravitating to the mean -- star, but no superstar like Harden.

DonKnock and amaru like this.
  5. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

i've always thought that gordon was our 2nd best playmaker last year and now that we have paul, we're all the more dangerous. He looks even more quick this year on his dribble moves and bursts to the rim, being extremely aggressive from the moment he got in the game. I truly believe having Lou last year kind of messed up his rhythm and I expect this year he'll be even more consistent.

6. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I'm convinced that Gordon is going to make a leap this season. He has a year of injury-free play under his belt, he's in a situation of his own choice, and the Rockets placed a lot of trust in him by not moving him for Melo in the offseason. All of this will do wonders for his confidence.

He did have knee problems coming out of LA, but once that was fixed and rehabbed, the injuries he sustained in NO were fluke accidents (broken finger on his shooting hand, separated shoulder from colliding with another player). Not saying the "injury prone" tag is undeserved, necessarily, but I don't think he's a glass man who can't sustain a high level of play over an entire season.

I think last night was the beginning of a more aggressive and versatile EGo, and I think that maintaining this level of play will be absolutely crucial to any success we hope to have in the postseason.

DonKnock, amaru and BigShasta like this.
  7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its going to be very hard for any team to match up with him, since a secondary or tertiary defender is likely not good enough to stop him when he has the space to operate, given our offense....

ElDobleK likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Don’t forget that Gordon was considered top 5 at his position before the I word

Hakeemtheking and htownrox1 like this.
  9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Love it when EG complains to the refs. Never stop EG. keep working those refs.

Drogba and amaru like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I must have missed this. Can you clarify?

11. amaru

amaru Member

Early in his Clippers career he was an up and coming guard. Known as an explosive scorer. His third year in the league he averaged 22 pts for Clips. Injuries started to pile up and he was traded to New Orleans. Still scored but injures kept mounting. Then he came here.

#111 amaru, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Clown Baby, DonKnock, Drogba and 3 others like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Gordon played like a superstar last year until he got his hand or whatever and needed time off. He never shot the same after that and our record indicated as much. Through December we had two superstars in harden and Gordon and then Gordon became an average shooter and we became an average team.

They need to do everything they can to keep him healthy. Dude is injury prone. If he can be healthy we have a three headed monster.

DonKnock, Vivi, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For context... he played an outstanding game while shooting 0-6 from 3. Those fall for him (and they will), then watch out!

14. Soneca

Soneca Member

Apart from the D, what I loved the most about last night's game is that he was 0-6 from 3 and NEVER settled. I really hope we can see more of this with James, the coaches must emphasize that not only to our alpha guys, but to everyone. We saw GS closing hard on every shooter, Moute was also able to take advantage a couple of times. That's what happens when you mix this many reliable outside shooters around great playmakers. It's pick your poison, so much space and so many driving lanes.

GS may be the best and one of the longest perimeter defensive teams, so it was wonderful to see them having no answer on D once Green left the game.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Gordon is actually faster and quicker than Harden in terms of first step. A few times last night he straight up just blew by his man and just scored. When teams try to go small against us Gordon is going to have a field day doing layup drills

Soneca likes this.
  16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Came in here just to post this.

His 3 ball wasn’t falling so he decided to attack the rim. He then had multiple and 1’s and dunks. That shows a big sign of growth and maturity as a player. If he can stay like that all year, we’re gonna be really hard to beat.

Soneca likes this.
  17. Soneca

Soneca Member

You're probably right, and he's strong as well, though not as much as Harden, of course. Both are so crafty in their own ways, it's going to be a thing of beauty if EGo can keep that up. Judging by his age, he may very well be able to do it!

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Health can go a long way.

Getting a full healthy season in, plus a full offseason of strength and conditioning training rather than recovery from serious injury is big time for major athletes.

Flash Gordon looks great, I hope he can keep it up and stay injury free like last season.

crenshaw likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Daily reminder that Gordon is better than Melo.

Never saw him in a similar shape after his first seasons, if he can stay healty that's huge for us, i don't think i'm exaggerating in saying he's one of the best two way players in the league, i often got the impression (same thing last night) that in a lot of plays he's our best defender.

Deuce, Soneca, larsv8 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's not going to sustain this level of play and I love the game he had and he consistently delivers. It's telling of his personality that he came out more aggressive than ever against the Warriors, and that he realized they're not giving him daylight to he attacked relentlessly. Between Harden, Paul and Gordon the opponents' guards won't get a minute to breathe.