1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon showing flashes of superstarism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Oct 11, 2017.

1. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Me too.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought he was on track to become one to be honest when he was first drafted. He was a prolific scorer and then he just got injured over and over again

3. Chamillionaire

He's definitely underrated imo. He's a top tier perimeter shooter. We're very lucky to have him. Perfect for our system.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hubie made some good points last night.

Gordon won rookie of the year.

Then after injury played years, won sixth man of the year last year.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

He was awesome in the first half of last year, too, but he gets a nicked up or worn out and drops in effectiveness. That's setting aside his long history of injury. I don't think we can count on him sustaining this level of play.

HTown_TMac likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Carmelo will have a good year. Gordon will have a good year.

Gordon might outscore Carmelo. Carmelo will rebound more, and do a little more there.

7. hakeemthagreat

I think the difference mostly is size & defense. Klay Thompson is bigger and can defend better, he also uses screen better to get open shots. But as far as pure shooting, it's close

8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No, he needs to fire at will. Hit or miss. That's his MO.

It's harden and Paul that need to change their style when we go cold.

EG should never turn off.

SIL

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has always been a good player. he's just in an ideal role that maximizes his best attributes on a winning team. Which he has never experienced before

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. Anything more than Ryan Anderson plus filler would have lowered this team's capacity to perform. Shame we couldn't get him though, he would have upgraded our biggest weakness in the rotation (the 4) into one of the strongest in the league.

11. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Like him but he is injury prone.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. mightybosstone

I love Gordon and think he's integral to what they do as a team offensively. But superstar? C'mon man. I realize that term is subjective and gets thrown around pretty loosely, but even if there are 10-15 guys (which is on the high end) that we would consider "superstars" in the league today, Gordon doesn't come remotely close to that level. At best, Gordon is a top 40-50 guy and an elite 6th man, which is still great, but hardly worth being anywhere near the "superstar" conversation.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Klay has never shot below .400 from 3 in a season. Gordon has only had one season shooting .400 and above. Klay's career 3pt% average is .419 compared to EGo's .380

Gordon is a great player for us, he's also relatively cheap (health permitting). But's it's still not all that close who is the better shooter between him and Klay.

EDIT to add - in terms of 'pure shooting' the catch and shoot percentages tell the same story, Klay way over .400 every year, Gordon .350 and .360 the last two seasons

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

is kyrie irving 'superstar'?

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

harden said last year 'ego should have been an allstar '
    perhaps if he was in the east he would of

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Did he get better recently or something? Did he need the full year of health to regain his lost playmaking ability? He was atrocious as the primary ball handler last year. He never had his head up, he never found the open man and he constantly turned the ball over as the lead playmaker. Until the playoffs when he somehow pulled it all together.

Y'all are telling me we're getting playoff Ego from the start this time around?

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the title of the thread as a whole is closer to drexlerism than superstarism ...member when he proclaimed isaah canaan an allstar?

18. mockster

mockster Member

I never stated he was a superstar but the moves he did last night we're superstar like entertaining. His passing was actually very smooth. That one play where he does a 360 spin because he got caught in mid air and passed it to the open shooter was beast.

His dribbling, passing and drives looked highly impressive. He just looks improved and I feel like harden and Paul have boosted his confidence.

He was taking it out and being his own man a lot more then I've previously seen.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, but if you want to be respected as a perennial allstar, you got to assist, you got to have rebounding numbers, steals and blocks, the whole package.

Scoring and making shots alone is too little. Jason Richardson never made the Allstar Game and he had couple of Seasons with 21.5-23 ppg.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Gordon is a good player but he's not an all star to me. SUPERSTAR flashes should never be mentioned with Eric Gordon.

Dude needs to consistenly score 18-20 for us to have a good chance. This offense is still to me based on Harden, if Harden fails, the rest do. That is why I wanted Carmelo. Someone that's use to handling that role.

Ariza
    Gordon
    Capelas

Role players. Just my take. I'm focused on the Astros Yankees series right now, Rockets are my last thought currently.