1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon says Clippers lied to him about trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports

The Los Angeles Clippers celebrated their trade for Chris Paul as a landmark moment for the woeful franchise. Eric Gordon and Chris Kaman can be excused for not joining in the celebration. The two players were sent to the New Orleans Hornets as part of the deal – just two days after Clippers officials told them they would not be traded.

And while Gordon and Kaman are excited about the opportunity to start over with the Hornets, they aren’t too happy with their former team.

“All you do is take the man’s word and take that he said that no one is going to go anywhere,” Gordon told Yahoo! Sports. “… To completely lie like that is something unprofessional.”

After trade talks with the Hornets stalled Dec. 12, Clippers general manager Neil Olshey and coach Vinny Del Negro gathered the team’s players who had guaranteed contracts and told them the franchise planned to move forward with its current group. Gordon and Kaman now think they were deceived. Olshey disagrees.

“I’m not deceptive enough to look players in the eye and tell them something that is not true,” Olshey said. “And I can tell you from an ownership level, the president of our company, myself, we made a corporate decision Monday morning that when the deal didn’t go through on Sunday night we would no longer pursue the trade. And that’s when we notified our players, to get the elephant out of the room during our abbreviated training camp.”

Later that same day, the Clippers claimed veteran point guard Chauncey Billups off amnesty waivers. Olshey said he was surprised to receive a call the following day from the Hornets – or NBA officials orchestrating the trade for the Hornets – wanting to restart trade talks. On Dec. 14, the Clippers agreed to send Gordon, Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and the Minnesota Timberwolves’ unprotected 2012 first-round draft pick for Paul and a pair of future second-round choices. Gordon, a talented young guard, and the T’wolves’ draft pick were considered the Clippers’ most coveted trade assets. The Clippers were able to retain injured young point guard Eric Bledsoe.

[ Related: Hornets get Xavier Henry in trade ]

“They came back to us with what we felt like was a more appropriate compensation package and we decided to do the deal,” Olshey said.

Said Gordon: “They literally told me as an organization that they wanted to keep me, and [the trade still] went down?”

News of the trade broke via Twitter and other social media outlets while Gordon and Kaman were at community events with Clippers season-ticket holders. Gordon found out while he was on a bus for the event and tweeted, “Wow.” Kaman found out from his real-estate agent’s son.

“He said, ‘Hey, you got traded.’ I was like, ‘C’mon,’ ” Kaman said. “Then everyone started talking to me like, ‘Hey, what happened?’ I was like, ‘I don’t know.’ Then my agent wasn’t calling me. I couldn’t get ahold of him. Then Farouq talked to his agent and said it was done.

“The Clippers didn’t tell me anything. They didn’t tell me I was traded or nothing after eight years. They didn’t have the guts to come tell me they traded me.”

Olshey said he and Del Negro were in the lobby of the Clippers’ practice facility waiting for the players to return from the events to discuss the trade.

“Unfortunately in today’s social media it didn’t matter if they were home, on a bus, shootaround, out to dinner,” Olshey said. “We would never get to them before other people got to them or it ended up on Twitter.”

Olshey also says the Clippers were hesitant about keeping the players updated on the status of the trade talks because the Los Angeles Lakers thought they had a deal to acquire Paul only to have NBA commissioner David Stern veto it. The Lakers and Houston Rockets then had to repair relationships with the players involved in the proposed trade. One of the reasons the Lakers said they traded Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks was because Odom was upset about being included in the Paul talks.

“Based on normal circumstances, the players have the right to be somewhat sensitive,” Olshey said. “But until it was absolutely consummated at the NBA level, why would we preemptively notify players they were traded? And on the off-chance the deal didn’t go through for some reason, we’d have to deal with the same fallout that Houston and the Lakers had to deal with.

“I’m completely empathetic on how the guys found out. Had it not been a community-relations day and they wouldn’t have been on the buses, they would have been at home and we would have been able to call all of them.”

Gordon has missed the Hornets’ past four games with a bruised right knee, but hit the winning shot in the season opener against the Phoenix Suns. He says he’s looking forward to being the face of the franchise – which wasn’t the case with the Clippers, who are building around All-Star forward Blake Griffin.

“When I was with the Clippers I was kind of behind the scenes, behind Blake, but I was also contributing almost just as good as he is,” said Gordon, who averaged 22.3 points last season. “He gets all the spectacular credit. But now here there is more responsibility towards me.”

Gordon says he’s already grown fond of Hornets general manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams, and Gordon’s agent has had discussions with New Orleans officials about a possible contract extension. The two sides have until Jan. 25 to work out a deal or Gordon will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. The Indiana Pacers have expressed interest in Gordon in the past, a league source said.

Kaman also has reason to be happy with the trade. He received a $1.8 million bonus in the deal because of a trade kicker in his contract and said he’s much happier playing for the Hornets.

“They’re very professional,” Kaman said. “I’m not used to that. No, serious. It was an adjustment. After eight years [with the Clippers], I didn’t know it could be like this. I wasn’t used to it. The way they handle business … they’re up front with you and they tell you what’s going on and what’s going to happen.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...s_eric_gordon_chris_kaman_clippers_nba_010412

2. YourSecretLover

didnt read lol

but gordon needs to grow a pair. thats how the real world works.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

didn't read either. sorry Eric.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's why I prefer the Rockets approach. Be straight with the fans and your players -- always looking to improve the team via trade if the right deal comes along and no one is untouchable.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Players will always get hurt unless they’re unbelievably mature like Scola.

Morey is incredibly upfront about the fact they’d he’d trade anyone at any time, but Martin was still taken aback and hurt when it happened.

You can’t really blame guys for getting attached to organizations, cities, and their teammates. Gordon and Kaman will get over it, though. Kaman must have known he wasn’t in the Clips future plans anyway with the emergence of DJ.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

It's a business...

Players = assets of the NBA...

That's why I don't cry for the players or the owners.. They make Millions/Billions...

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At least Eric Gordon didn't feel like an asset until the last moment, instead of being tormented for being an asset for his entire Clippers career. Sometimes lying is the kinder thing to do.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The GM wasn't deliberately trying to deceive anyone but he clearly can't stand by his word. He seems unapologetic too. It's one of those "its the circumstances that screwed you, not us" explanations.

Would there be any harm in the GM issuing a personal apology to those guys? It wouldn't change the issue but it'd sound a heck of a better than the crap explanation he gave.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

top 3 SG in the league with Manu being out? I know Kevin Martin, but he is not playing all star level lately....

10. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Well that's just the clippers front office in a nutshell.

11. gah

gah Member

This is the same that happened with Al Horford. He was engaged to who I guess is an incredible girl. But there was this Miss Universe queen that had a thing for him and gave him an ultimatum. What did Al Horford do? He called the engagement off then got married with Miss Universe in just a week after that.

Whenever a player finds himself surrounded by rumors of him being traded for an All-Star and thinks his team has to stay loyal to him, he should ask himself: what would Al Horford do?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=213026

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Will Eric Gordon be playing the same tune if Hornets told him today that he will not be traded but on Friday they trade him to Miami Heat?

Probably not because as soon as he hears that he will not be traded, he will be looking for the closest bridge in NO.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol.....I don't necessarily think EGordon is actually following Horford's private life....

14. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

It’s just NBA business in general. Morey sat down with Martin after Adelman was fired and had a little heart-to-heart about how important Martin is to the Rockets and look what happened.

And Shane Battier found out he got traded on Twitter lol.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Remember when Eric Gordon reneged on a verbal commitment to Illinois to play for Indiana and Coach Kelvin Sampson?

16. what

what Member

here's your gif. epic gif for a female on the board. fo reals

[​IMG]

17. skyline07

skyline07 Member

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

... and he believed them?!?!?!? lol!

Then it's poetic justice?

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

And we are the ones getting blown out by Clippers

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If a GM wants to word it as "I plan on you being a Clipper for life" and leave off the unless a superstar comes along, then I think that is just smart business. But if you told someone that just a few days prior then you need to make a courtesy call before the news gets out that you have decided to go a different direction.