1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Gordon: Extend? Trade? Stay the course?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can laugh all you want. if it was anything less, the extension would of gotten signed a long time ago when they were in discussions on multiple occasions. just like the ariza and bev situations, hes been underpaid for years. hes going to get his money or as close to it as possible whether thats here or somewhere else

what's funny is if anyone really believes hes going to accept anything below $20 mil per. now that's a joke

Deckard likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

3yrs- $60 million should get it done.

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Gordon is looking for 4 years contract.

If Tilman is not willing to pay him market price because of tax, he could demand to be traded.

Generally there are annual 170 million luxury tax profit for 22 teams. This year there are about 30 million tax profit. Its not good, really not good!

5. HP3

HP3 Member

See, I think you are looking at the negative. He's a great complimentary player and probably the most versatile player on our team. He's also probably our best shooter. It's just, I think hes too important to what we do. And imo Roco is absolutely better than Iggy at this point. Better defender and shooter.

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I agree with everything you said...I'm just saying he gets in trouble when he tries to do too much.

HP3 likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He will be traded ..for chemistry sake I hope its before season.
    He will be missed.
    Im not convinced we can get a star for him+picks so it would be a downgrade.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh haha my bad.

Also to the people saying he's gonna get traded, we should also understand that Harden actually really likes playing with EG and that if we arent getting a better player(or players) back in the deal, it is definitely not happening unless EG is definitely not resigning.

9. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I think he's able to stay in character/his strengths when there are multiple threats/players who are able to attack off the dribble playing alongside him.

Which is why I prefer Iggy over RoCo but I can also see why you and others would prefer RoCo over Iggy.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Everything aside, I hope Ego retires a Rocket.

tochiee22 and HP3 like this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Without Gordon = Championship window closes.

With Gordon, pay a little bit luxury tax and sign tons of undrafted, NGs and two-way like this summer.

IBTL likes this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Rivers took a significant pay cut to stay with us one more year. I have to imagine that we gave him assurances to make him whole next year, when we have his Early Bird Rights. With these rights, we can pay Rivers up to $9 MM per year.

This begs the question - how much are we willing to tie up in guard salary? You'll have Harden ($41 MM), Westbrook ($41 MM), and Rivers ($9 MM) making up $90 MM before we even get to Gordon.

Gordon has been a critical piece for us and is a valuable trade asset - I'd be pretty disgusted if we let him walk for nothing. But I totally understand if the team shops Gordon (or extends him with the intention of trading him later), just from a roster balance perspective.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

3 year 75 mil preferable to match Westbrook and Harden. If need be no more than 4 100.By that time he'll be 34 and possibly declining due to injuries but probably still serviceable.

14. vick

vick Member

No, not now, not ever.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

that is the problem.

Its feels like the clowney deal where if there was going to be a deal there would have already been the deal.

My gut is that tilman will get stage fright seeing big numbers on the salary side when the normal busboy salary is $2 plus tip pool.

70 million for a scowler is a lot of crab balls.

He will be traded. I was hoping it would be for a star + picks since as stated he is a HUGE part of the team.

Hes gone. If im a pessimist and have zero faith in tilman.
    People like to crack on tilfreak for being cheap . how Gordon is handled will tell us everything.

This is yuge

Gray_Jay, RichieBanks and HP3 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, this is pretty big you are correct. I'm wondering how much EG feels he's worth as well. I also wonder if Morey will try to go all in this year and just stand pat, but I doubt it.

IBTL likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

3/60 would be the max I’d want to give him. Would hope we could get him in the 3 year 17-18 mil per year range.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Definitely need to extend him or trade him, we just can't afford to lose him for nothing.

All things considered, i'd say giving him more than 20M per season might be a bit of an overpay on paper, but for us it's probably worth it at this point, maybe on a 3 year deal in order to have a more movable contract if the right situation presents itself...a contract around 22/23M would still give us the chance to trade for a max salary by adding some fillers.

joshuaao, ilias, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  19. MultipleSauces

Since Gordy is such a nerd he’s done the calculations and he’s looking to get a raise not for the money itself but as a way to feel appreciated and then he will have more FUNnnnnnn

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

If only Eric was 4" taller. Would solve all our problems.

tycoonchip likes this.