1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Epistemic Closure] 49% of GOP Voters Think 2012 Election Stolen by Magical Un-ACORN

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/12/republicans-not-handling-election-results-well.html

If you're scoring at home, ACORN filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2010 and ceased to exist at that point.

1 person likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's hilarious.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

no surprise, most republicans still say the only reason Obama won was because of voter fraud, despite having zero proof whatsoever. When you try to argue with them, they will get offended and insult you.

Republicans are the dumbest people on Earth.

4. SamFisher

In fairness, asking them question with the option to answer "ACORN STOLED IT!" was like dangling a piece of carrion in front of a hungry hyena, of course he's going to grab it. If you live in the bubble-verse and you have an option to stay there, you take it, no matter how factually impossible it is.

However it doesn't excuse the outright denial of reality and the sunglass wearing dog - Obama won, fair and square, and deal with it time is here.

Another amusing result:

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

PPP also asked American's if they supported the fictional Panetta/Burns plan and 25% (all Americans) approved of it. 39% approves of the Bowles/Simpson plan. Simpson? Burns? Hmmmmm.

Also, 25% of Republicans want their state to secede from the US.

6. Classic

Classic Member

7. Nook

Nook Member

SHUT UP... JUST SHUT UP... I don't care what the official federal bankruptcy records state, those things can be doctored and I wouldn't put it past Barry Oblamer to do it. I don't care what polls say, what science says or any of your fuzzy math... I have my gut, and Jesus... he leads me..... I see those blacks with 10 babies going to Costco with their $2,000 a month food stamps buying steaks and lobster.... look, I bet they all were bussed by ACORN to the polling places and voted 10-20 times each. Did you know they don't need a license to vote???? Just unamerican.....

8. SamFisher

Seriously, we're going to fight this battle about polling samples again?

All you need to know is that they're not the people who got majorly embarrassed last month. That should be enough for you.

9. Classic

Classic Member

No, I'm asking the question. I don't know if that is appropriate for an accredited poll.

I just look at that stat and find it unbelievable that people believe that. Or at least educated people. I mean I could see if they targeted rural areas in Arkansas or W. Virginia where they still fly the confederate flag but educated suburb type people that I know I just don't think they'd really think that. But who knows. Maybe they really do. Why I asked as I couldn't find the information in the link.

10. rage

rage Member

Polling has its methodology, sample size and error...

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And IIRC, PPP was the most accurate pollster in this past election. I think they know what they're doing.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sam,

If you look at Lincoln's election and re-election----and I'm not saying Obama is on par with Lincoln, no no no----you will find a lot of interesting, depressing, and sometimes frightening parallels in public reaction.

From "free-the-slaves" Lincoln to African-American President.

I've been reading up on the Civil War since "Lincoln" hit theaters and the comparisons are eye-opening. Not only that people believe what they want, but how the election of 1860 provided more impetus for secession and thus the Civil War (and nowadays we get people signing petitions to secede, which amount to naught but hot air but do point to a disturbing deep-seated anger and, if I may say, dumbassery; er, I mean, ignorance).

You can draw a thread from the states-rights, way-of-life, imperialist-federal gov't, never-had-never-needed social programs for an agrarian slave-centered south to the attitudes you see today.

Witness Governor Perry a few weeks back on CNN with his so-called explanation for why Texas will opt out of (certain provisions of) Obamacare. Just a real deep-rooted aversion to abiding by "federal dictate".

Not surprised these people think that colored feller stole the election.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're giving them a run for their money with a post like that.

14. Major

Major Member

Yes - it's plenty. I think that fake poll question is great - it gives you a baseline of people that just need to have an opinion on everyone or don't want to admit to a pollster that they don't know. I think it's something that should be included in all polls, and people that answer it should be scrubbed from the sample.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

^Just because you have an opinion on something that is not real does not mean your opinions on real things are automatically invalid... or that you won't vote based on those real and unreal things.

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

That's a damn fine notion, but probably never happens because it increases the time it takes to hit an acceptable sample size. My guess is that pollsters who need to find several thousand respondents wil be frustrated by this and cut corners to hit their quota.

17. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

The answer set was surprisingly poorl on the survey, IMHO. Your 3 choices were "Obama won fairly", "ACORN stole it", or "Don't know". (The question was fair; I can't link to it easily from my phone.)

It's not as bad as Zogby's question asking who said "I can see Russia from my house" that had Palin as a choice and neither Fey nor "none of the above" was a option. But still, I wouldn't castigate Republicans too much for that specific response.

18. Major

Major Member

Certainly - but it does make your answers on those other questions more questionable. Seems like you could get a more accurate poll if you scrubbed out any potential noise. As NotInMyHouse said, you'd need a bigger original sample size to adjust for it.

This doesn't so much apply to a "who will you vote for" action poll as it does a "do you support Obamacare" type pure opinion poll.

19. Major

Major Member

True - but it does imply that 49% of GOPers think that Obama won it unfairly in some way or another. Not as bad as necessarily blaming ACORN, but still messed up.

20. Major

Major Member

Also interesting would be crosstabs of the fake question people. Of the 25% that an opinion on the fake plan, how many of those thought the election was stolen vs people that didn't know about the fake plan?