1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enron Field?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Why don't the just name it one of these:

The Ballpark At Union Station
    Union Station Field
    Union Station Stadium
    Nasa Field
    The Astrodium
    Astro Field

2. Princess

Princess Member

Because the ballpark takes money and anyone who puts money into it wants to get something out of it...ie publicity

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

"Houston Rockets Field"

With the Rockets having so many problems with attendance, maybe this could help promote the team.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I would rather keep the name like it was suppose to be named, Ballpark at Union Station. It would be funny if they name it like they did in BASEketball, like Tampon Stadium, etc... They also have 2 American Airlines arena (First in Miami and now Dallas) with 2 Compaq Centers. I just hope they name it something cool and promotes something that is based in Houston. Anybody else notice that they finally changed the Aerial Theater to Verizon Wireless theater, 2 years after Voicestream bought Aerial out?

5. treeman

treeman Member

You don't want it to be Shell Field. Shell Oil... Don't ask. You just don't really want to know. (and BTW, Texaco Field is the same thing) Equilon (horse's ass) Field might well happen, but it is headed the way of the Enron...

And if it's an airline, You want it to be Southwest Field, not Continental Field. Again, don't ask. SW is the only major carrier still on the rise.

I actually like NASA Field, but that's totally unrealistic.

Gallery Furniture Field? WTF? If he buys the rights he'll at least have the brains to name it Mack Field (more catchy) or something.

And Dell over Compaq any day.

No, I have no original suggestions, I am only here to shoot down stupid ones others have made

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

What does this mean? I really want to know. The Equilon partnership is being dissolved on a number of levels (though the retail end may remain), so I can see not naming it Equilon field. But if you are suggesting that Shell or Texaco will go the way of Enron because Equilon is being dissolved...well, that is not right. Enron brought down it's own demise due to shady actions of its board of directors. Equilon is being dissolved because the partners could not operate successfully as a joint venture.

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

treeman:

SHELL AND SRI NEAR COMPLETION OF TEXACO DOWNSTREAM ACQUISITION

(Issued By Shell Oil Company)

HOUSTON (December 12, 2001)-- Shell Oil Company (Shell) and Saudi Refining, Inc. (SRI) announced today that they have signed definitive agreements to acquire Texaco Inc.’s interests in Equilon Enterprises LLC (Equilon) and Motiva Enterprises LLC (Motiva). Under terms of the transactions, initially announced October 9, 2001, SRI will own 50% of Motiva while Shell will own the other 50% of Motiva and 100% of Equilon. The transactions, which are subject to the approval of governmental authorities, are expected to conclude in January 2002.

Motiva operates primarily in the eastern United States and includes nearly 4,800 Shell-branded gasoline stations, almost 8,200 Texaco-branded stations, four refineries and a network of oil products terminals. In July 1998, Shell’s eastern and Gulf Coast refining and marketing businesses were combined with similar operations owned by Star Enterprise, a joint venture between Texaco and Saudi Refining, Inc., through the formation of Motiva.

Equilon operates primarily in the Western United States, and includes approximately 4,500 Shell-branded gasoline stations and nearly 4,500 Texaco-branded gasoline stations, four refineries, a lubricants business and an extensive pipeline and terminal network. Equilon was formed in January 1998, when Shell’s western and midwestern refining, marketing, trading, transportation and lubricants businesses were combined with similar operations of Texaco.

Shell Oil Company, including its consolidated companies and its share in equity companies, is one of America’s leading oil and natural gas producers, natural gas marketers, gasoline marketers and petrochemical manufacturers. Shell Oil is the leading oil and gas producer in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and is a recognized pioneer in oil and gas exploration and production technology. Shell Oil Company is an affiliate of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies.

Saudi Refining, Inc. (SRI) is a subsidiary of Aramco Services Company, headquartered in Houston, Texas. In addition to managing its 32.8 percent joint venture investments, SRI sells approximately 525,000 barrels of crude a day to Motiva, which has a refining capacity of approximately 800,000 barrels per day.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Astroretractibleroof

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

treeman -- what are you talking about??

actually, what I've heard (jeff might be able to confirm) is that the new basketball arena is likely to be the Shell Center!

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That would surprise me, Max. I haven't heard anything like that at all and, making a few very innocuous inquiries, I don't hear anything that would lead me to believe that.

If I had to put my money on someone, I'm not sure who I would pick for the new arena. If Compaq gets its acquisition stuff together, it could still potentially be Compaq or even HP. No way Dynegy happens because Watson and Alexander really don't like each other. BMC just doesn't seem in the market.

I might could see AIM as one. They have the money, happen to occupy a big chunk of the same office building as the Rockets currently and are one of their primary sponsors, but I don't know.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't understand what's wrong with Gallery Furniture Field...at least he's pretty much solely Houston.

12. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My vote would have to be Shell. It's the only name that I can pretend is not a corporate name.