1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enron Field?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused: Will they change the park's name since the Enron fallout?

2. Major

Major Member

I kind of like Bankrupty Ballpark or Suicide Field, but I don't think my ideas will be taken. :(

3. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I think I saw somewhere (maybe here but I cant find it) that said they are current on the payments through August.

But as Clutch said in another thread with Mattress Mac not renewing his contract with the Bowl he might move in and try and buy the stadium rights.

4. Johnny Rocket

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

maybe this is why Mattress Mac dropped his name from the galleryfurniture.com bowl, so he could buy naming rights to the former Enron Field....

Gallery Furniture Field.... :D

we had this discussion a while back, I think...

rH

6. Johnny Rocket

am I on your block list??

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't know if Mac can support 28 years at $3 million per, but he might. My guess is that another corp will assume the naming rights at some point.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Will a local Tacqueria fork over the few mill for naming rights?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

read the article from astrosconnection. not sure how much experience that guy has with bankruptcy, but i disagree with his point that if the astros haven't changed the name yet, they're not likely to do so before this season.

the astros really need to lose the enron field name quickly, in my opinion. the negative light of that name (particularly since the suicide of an executive from the fallout) is fairly strong.

they should hire a seasoned bankruptcy attorney -- my firm would be happy to help them! :) -- make a motion for the trustee to categorize the naming rights as an asset and ascribe a value to that asset. then repurchase the naming rights through August...it's an executory contract that enron will not be able to meet after that time any way. before they do that, they should already have a company lined up to take enron's spot..preferably one that might make it through the year!! :)

i would bet the astros are scrambling on this right now...and don't be surprised if there's a name change before April.

10. Princess

Princess Member

From what I've heard, Enron is current on their payments, but it won't last for long. I've heard that another big company (Dynegy maybe, but I could be wrong) is interested in naming rights.

I'm about 99.9% sure the name will change. To what, who knows right now.

Does anyone else think that Gallery Furniture Field isn't much better than Enron "Bankrupt" Field?

11. Gascon

Gascon Member

The irony, of course, is that if you are on his block list............

He won't see your message. ;)

12. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

diseased monkey field.

13. Johnny Rocket

Yea I know but the fact that he posted basicly the same stuff I did makes me wonder. Maybe somebody else should ask him if I'm on his block list.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I read somewhere just how expensive and hard it would be to change the name.. besides the street signs and the other obvious things.. their is an enron logo printed onto the last seat in every isle.. which would mean replacing a lot of seats or whatever..

15. Johnny Rocket

Yea that is the same thread or article I was thinking of but I cant find it now. I thought it was a thread here but I've tried searching for it and can't find it.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

How about the Dell Diamond? Michael could easily swing the $3 million per, and it would be a slap in the face to Compaq. We could always rename the current Dell Diamond in Round Rock as AMD Ballpark, or Applied Materials Field.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Well, there are two Compaq Centers.

18. Princess

Princess Member

as long as it doesn't become "sofa field" I'm ok

I just think it needs a more recognizable name than gallery furniture. like a bigger corporate sponsor. something people in new york would have a clue about

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

IF Gallery Furniture takes it, that will be the biggest embarresement for the astros organization.

Dynegy Field
    Shell Field
    Texaco Field
    Continental Airlines Field :)

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Going with alliteration (I think?)

I prefer Dynegy Diamond to Dynegy Field.
    And Shell Stadium to Shell Field.
    Also like BMC Ballpark.
    or Sysco Stadium

This one would be funny...Newfield Field (for Newfield Exploration - theyre not that big though)

attached is a list of the Chornicles 100 top businesses (not by size though, which would be a better indicator of who might spring for something like this)

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/01/100/charts/chron100.html