1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough with the Terrence Jones talk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Oct 16, 2015.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

I've patiently waited, like I know many of you have, for T. Jones to solidify himself has a consistent,athletic, versatile big with handles that was going to complete our starting five rotation. I've been waiting 3 years, granted he's been injured on and off, but this kid does not have the "big heart" or "competitive gene" in his game to show up when you need him. When you play play a team with an average ( or below average big) he'll give you a double double and will woo you into thinking we FINALLy found our power forward. When he comes across stiff competition, power forwards with just as much skill as he does, he doesn't even put up a fight. We've seen it time and time again (I.e. L.A, D. Green, ZBo, Blake Griffin). At least with Dmo he puts up a fight on the offensive end and doesn't crawl into a shell. With TJ, he loses confidence in himself and essentially disappears. I'm seriously at a lost for words with this guy as I've been defending him since he was drafted.

I wanted last nights preseason game to be another statement game for TJ while our stars were out. Yeah he had 20 pts the other day versus a Morris Twin, big deal. Showing up versus the Warriors last night and dominating again is what I was looking for. But know, little TJ crawled up in his shell again and forgot how to play basketball.

I tip my hat to a kid like KJ for showing up last night and playing with some pride.

I'm hoping DMo gets back soon and healthy because he's the only chance we have to even put up a fight in the west this year. Harden can't carry us again ( nor do I want him to). People fail to realize how much of a toll last season out on harden's body. We all know (I just want people to like me) Dwight can't and won't carry us for a season, and Ty Lawson is not enough.

The power forward position is the X factor, and unfortunately our only championship hope lies in a skillfull 7 footer with a back problem.

I had to get this off my chest this morning before work! Thanks for reading, let's go Rockets!

2. OpenLayup-Why3?

So... should we discuss about T Jones in this thread, since the text you wrote indicates we should, but the title says shouldn't...

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

harland and millertrash brought up on TNT that Jones' freak nerve injury is something that comes and goes randomly, it might come again and never go away... Also what is wrong with water in Houston, why is everyone injured more or less all the time?

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Trap thread,

Way to contradict yourself OP.

Job well done sir or ma'am.

[​IMG]

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Preseason knee jerk complaining LOL. Enough with the T.Jones talk already, let it go for christ sakes.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

At least we have Josh Smith to hold the 4 spot.

7. omgTHEpotential

TJones + DMo for ZBo, get it done

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Please, show us the evidence that TJ lacks heart or a "competitive gene."

Don't you think that's an unfair, unfounded claim? If you were a player, or if you've been around the game, I'm confident that you would take offense to someone making an assertion about your "heart" or desire as a player. You simply cannot prove that TJ has any less heart than another player based on his performance. You may want him to improve, but come on, give that noise a rest.

He may not be your ideal PF, but TJ and DMo work constantly to improve.

TJ has plenty of off games, but he's no slouch. He's young and developing. Greatness takes time.

9. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

ZBo fits perfectly into our scheme. Good job.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I have avoided the Jones hysteria, but am very unimpressed impressed by his failure to compete last night.

He may be very talented physically but, I don't think he has the "Heart of a Champion" to quote Rudy T.

Granted he might still be a useful supplementary player when supported by those who do have what it takes.

11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Geatness takes time, but you have to improve along the way. Tj and greatness in the same sentence just don't equate.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I stopped talking about T jones for a couple years. I really can't say too many good things about his game so I try to refrain.

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I didn't claim that he's great.

And, it's debatable regarding TJ's improvement. I think he has improved, although maybe not at the speed some of us want.

TJ is a unique talent. Our opinion of his game and potential is very different than how he is viewed by various people throughout the league. That's for sure. :)

14. Fantasma Negro

If you're going to start judging people off preseason performances you're going to paint yourself into a lot of corners

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I would throw in beverly to sweetened it

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He who-must-not-be-named confirmed my opinion that he will never be an allstar. His ceiling is an NBA average starting 4.

If I played the who-the-heck-is-KJ-guarding drinking game last night, I would still in bed with a massive hangover. I lost count of the number of wide open GS shots where KJ lost track of his man.

Last night answered the question of why KJ got no PT last season (and this season as well, I suspect). KJ has serious potential but has a lot to figure out before he earns in a spot in the rotation.

18. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Kj sucking vs a championship team that was playing starters is one thing, he's almost a rookie. Jones sucking at this point is no longer acceptable.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

1) It's a preseason game with the starters sitting at home.

2) T-Jones is only 23 years old and coming off an injury-riddled season. Give him a little time before writing him off completely.

3) Even if T-Jones does show improvement, I've never considered him starter material at the 4 given the competition at that position in the Western Conference. He likely belongs on the bench behind D-Mo(assuming he recovers from the back injury).

4) If T-Jones has a down year due to a lack of hustle or effort given he's in a contract year and has a hungry, motivated Montrezl Harrell gunning for his minutes, then he's a waste of a roster spot and will be traded away by February.