1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ennis's playing time will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This post is a bit ridiculous.

Ennis is solid for 15-20 mpg if his shot is falling. He played well last night against the Nuggets. He just came back from a near month long hamstring injury, give the man some time to get his rhythm and stamina back.

DM'sVP, Smacktle, Patience and 2 others like this.
  2. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I said it before the season: He was a bench player on a god damn lottery team.

SF3isBack!! and bilaal14 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Once CP3 and EGo are back he and Knight will be buried on the bench.

DD

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

well, they'd have urn-ed it...

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Plus greens bad defense is a myth. The eye test tells me green is about the same defense but 2 times better offensively. I 2anna start green at the 3 when team all healthy

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

What does Chris Paul have to do with Ennis getting destroyed on defense every other possession? I've seen more and 1s against Ennis than anyone else on the team. And he's only played half the games.

SF3isBack!! and D-rock like this.
  7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

This. Can he at least get a few games before you start trying to trade the man? Holy ****.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The game is offense and defense. He's an average defender, and he's worth having on the floor if he hits corner 3's at 36%. Which he does from the corner. Why would you get anything else for the minimum?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

its funny seeing all these complaints about ennis and hes a min player. yet people want to use the min logic for other players that suck while ennis actually finds a way to contribute. just puzzling

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He simply doesn't fit the team. His jumpshot release is slow af, his athleticism is very disappointing. I expected him to be better than this.

SF3isBack!! and bilaal14 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

And that's much of the problem. people expecting him to be better, yet why? he hasn't showed it in his career. The average person knew very little to nothing about him. Is it bc people saw on youtube one possession where he played defense against harden and he all of a sudden built some unrealistic expectation for himself and people ran with it. Or is it the usual morey signed him, so he must be good or he will be good view

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Teams are going at Ennis even with Harden on the floor together. That should tell you all you need to know about how teams feel about his defense, it's not average. You are right that he is not terrible for a min player though. Problem is, what other contenders have min players in their rotation? Min players are that for a reason, they are barely nba players, much less being relied on to contribute to a championship caliber team.

SF3isBack!! and D-rock like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Minimum players get minutes on all contenders. It's just about adjusting our expectations. As a 4th best forward, he's great. As your primary defensive wing, that was a pipe dream from the start.

This whole thing really helps me understand how moronic people were for ******** on Ariza though. The difference between ageing Ariza and prime Ennis is staggering.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much all of them.

15. sheb

sheb Member

Someone gonna open a thread like this about CP once he comes back from injury

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

When watching him, I have to constantly remind myself that he's a Vet Min player so expectations should be tempered. I was expecting more from him defensively, but perhaps getting another good defender (CP3) back into the lineup will help with that.

D-rock likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Such as?

18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I have been saying this from the beginning of the season. Dude is an absolute BFI trash can. He cant shoot. He is a under average defender... he just doesnt fit our team.

Ennis, Melo, Chriss, and Knight should all be out of here by the trade deadline.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

start with the obvious one. Golden State. Jerebko and Bell

20. Soneca

Soneca Member

And Bell was one of the reasons why we erased the double digit lead. James's eyes sparkle every time he sees Bell out there. Looney's foul trouble managed to bring Harden back to the game, Bell is pretty much unplayable in their switching D. Once (if ever) Cousins is back, he won't be in the rotation.

Most teams do have min contract guys in their rotation, and they're usually better off when they're able not to play them. LMM last year, Danuel House this year, these guys are the exception and only work in well oiled playing schemes like ours. I know it does not contradict your point, it just adds an extra dimension to the discussion.

Back on the subject of Ennis: during the few games he looked healthy, he performed OK. I'd like to see him gettin 15-20 min/gm during the regular season. Then, come playoff time, there's a chance both he and Green will be out of the rotation, but surely there won't be room for both of them. That's what you can expect from minimum guys, and I still believe he can be valuable in a reduced role and even get minutes against GSW if MDA opts to run an 8 man rotation:

CP3 - Rivers
    JH - EGo
    House - Ennis or Green
    PJ
    Capela

Aginst any other opponent, we'll see Nene backing up Capela and probably House playing the 4 whenever PJ rests.

D-rock likes this.