1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End the streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 13, 2019.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With Capela coming back I think the streak will end organically. Hopefully it's during a blowout where he just sits for the 4th quarter and chooses to let it end. He was prepared to let it end in the previous game, he just happened to make all his 3's down the stretch after we let it get close. 30 points is just a number anyway, I honestly think more is being made of it than should be (just like Westbrooks 10 rebounds). The 42 PPG is a hell of a lot more impressive and less arbitrary.

I'm really hoping we get Morris. Add him to a healthy Capela, I expect this team to go on a rampage not long after the break. Re-assert our dominance on both sides of the ball. We don't need to do it for the whole second half, just 10-15 games so we know it's there come playoff time. I think we are fully capble of playing at last year's level with that squad, we just need to buckle down, defensively more than anything.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I am just messin' with ya. People wanted me banned for jokingly suggesting we should get Chandler Parsons in the buyout market. Be thankful I didn't call you T-Lazy, Scottie Quitten, or Royce White.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He is literally the most efficient 35+ point scorer in NBA history.

His usage in relation to our team offensive efficiency has literally never been seen before.

harold bingo likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Don't bother trying to persuade this poster, once his mind is set on something. He doesn't like Harden carrying solo, it turns him off as a fan. So he tries to describe it as being inefficient, ball hogging, and just down right ugly. Many haters do this, but sadly the stats go against their views/logic. U are right Harden is very efficient and he is a team player, it's just sad that many don't see it that way.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Exactly he gonna get it one more time then it will end. Bet anyone 15 bucks

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying it a a one man show circus act. I said he probably won't even make top 25 in proficiency in FG or 3PT %. Just taking a ton of shots isn't always smart, especially when others are on fire but he still takes twice as many shots, regardless. I'm just sick of it. Some love it.

Last year we were playing more team ball. He still took way more shots than the team, but now he is taking way more shots than anyone in the league. If you enjoy watching one man take 22 3's good for you. Its a personal preference. I just though last year's team was more fun to watch.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Our team offensive rating during this streak(and this year as a whole) is higher than our offensive rating of last year.

What you are missing is a generally more healthy core and all that good defense we played last season.

Offense has literally never been a problem for the Rockets since the day Harden arrived.

thaGREATwall and harold bingo like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What deb4rockets can't get through his stubborn head is that although he doesn't like Harden shooting a sht ton, he's the most efficient dude on the team at making dem shots. Team ball is good and all, but you are literally contradicting yourself. Everyone on the team, that is a guard is shttier at shooting than Harden, but Harden (being a team player) still tries to get people involved.

I'm fine if u hate on harden because u just prefer an inefficient team play Rockets can do right now, but don't sht on the Harden b/c he's not being efficient with his shots when he the most efficient player on the team.

It's also fking annoying that deb likes to say "harden won't even be top 25 in efficiency in scoring", How are u ranking this to sht on Harden? B/c a guard that averages 4 fga and average 3 fgm will b pretty hard to beat.

#88 DatRocketFan, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's crazy to me how many people think our problems are on offense. Our offense was great last night, we just couldn't get any stops. The problem was that we gave up 121 points in only 93 possessions, that's a 129.8 defensive rating. That is abysmal defense.

To put that into some context for you guys, so far this season there have been 79 games where a team gives up a defensive rating of 129.8 or worse. In those games, teams are 2-77.

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

No lie he has been forcing ish that hurt us lately.... might be a good thing if the streak ended... but ofcourse if we won the game also.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, this may come as a surprise to many of the streak haters here, but this year is the best Rockets offense of all time, in the history of the team.

jordnnnn likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

People want Harden to end his streak and score like normal?
    PPG APG RPG PER
    36.6 7.7 6.7 30.89

He's averaging this season 36.6 points per game..... this is his normal.
    If he's just gonna pass the balls to his teammates, u haters will probably btch about all dem bricks we are building or how MDA can't have an effective system.

Honestly if Harden not scoring that many, our record would be so much worst and u haters will still have something to btch about.

13. dcfma

dcfma Contributing Member

I agree with the thread overall.

1) James Harden is wonderful. He is my favorite NBA player and this season's MVP.

2) He put the team on its back when it was necessary.

3) However it is no longer necessary.

4) Harden, Paul, Gordon (and to a lesser extent Austin Rivers) can all control a possession, drive, and or pass the ball.

5) However, most of the time now it is Harden having the ball 70% of the time in a possession and shooting the ball or ultimately passing.

6) He is shooting way too many 3 pointers w/o involving others.

7) With the offensive talent on the team, it is no longer necessary.

8) Blame is on the coach, Chris Paul and him in that order.

9) We are going nowhere this season if the offense does not revert back more to the structure and style it had last season.

14. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

hahahaha

lnchan likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I dont think we are watching the same team. Everyone beside harden is streaky as fk, if it wasnt for harden going God like we will have enough bricks from the rest to build a fking wall.

16. riko

riko Member

Last season was exactly the same offense. It was harden and Paul taking turns.difference is harden is even better but Paul and guys like Gordon have regressed.

17. cebu

cebu Member

It is very clearn in the last 2 games that Harden is forcing his way to keep the steak alive and I hate to say it that it's runing the chemistry. I hope he ends it and play team basketball.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Great post. It's the defense and not Shumpert's shot or Chris Paul's first step or Harden's "hogging" or Tucker's height or the lack of creators or the absence of mid range attempts or Capela's inability to create, or one of a hundred things that people just project into the discussion as if the horrific defense we're playing doesn't dwarf every other issue.

We are the 5th worst defensive team in the NBA, and these are the teams below us: Cavs, Suns, Knicks, Hawks, Wizards. The Chicago Bulls are playing better defense than us. Just think about the fact we are ranked around 5 teams tanking for Zion and the Washington Wizards.

Defense is easily 80% of our problem, with rebounding being another 10% and everything else combined is 10%.

deb4rockets and Jake Tower like this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These are the kind of things coaches should work on fixing. You can only work with what you have obviously, but our coach persists on starting with 3 guards His small ball just makes me want to puke. I hate the 3 guard lineups with a passion!!!

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, I did not mean it as a criticism against Harden. Why he shot so many 3s is in Harden's head. Anyone who claims one way or another is just speculating, not stating facts.

I am just pointing out that a team relying on one guy to shoot so many shots is just not a good sign. Do you know that during the streak, Harden shot an average of 16 3s in the losses and 14 3s in the wins. It doesn't seem much of a difference. But it shows that shooting more 3s by Harden does not bring more wins. Also, Harden's 3pt average is a lot better in the first half than in the second half. That is also an indication that overusing him is not good for the team.

deb4rockets likes this.