1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End the streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 13, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Would the Rockets be better off if Harden’s streak just ended?

I’ve enjoyed the streak as much as anyone, but maybe it’s time to let it end and refocus on playing basketball rather than continuing this so-called “Unguardable Tour”.

My feeling is that they are not fully committing to playing to win. Harden is taking more and more shots because in the back of his mind he needs to keep his hot streak going, and his teammates are happy to let him do it. I feel like it’s become a distraction at this stage. The goal should be to just win games, not to break individual scoring records. It’s been fun and all, but the end of the season is approaching and it’s time to get serious about playoff basketball.

DaDakota, astros123, Maxgx and 36 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, the streak was all about the injuries. And we finally get Capela back, so it will end naturally soon.

Best way for a team to end the streak is to let Harden pass to Capela for 17 assists again.

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

things wouldn't change

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yes the streak needs to end .

If only to get other guys to be more aggressive .

I think harden is a naturally unselfish player .

But when no one else on your team has the balls / ability to generate a shot ... you have to do a lot of the work yourself .

Harden is so good , putting the ball in his hands is always gonna be our best option .

But we've got to get other guys more involved.

I know our roster is contructed to be guys that stand still and shoot , but (and this is where we miss House ) we've got to get more off ball movement , more cuts , even if it's harden on the receiving end .

Furthermore when harden gets doubled and we are playing 4 on 3 ... the other guys need to do a better job of getting a layup or wide open 3 . I strongly prefer layup though .

As discombobulated the offense gets sometimes , statistically, it's still fine . What we really need is a defense

5. durvasa

OK, but I’d rather the streak end voluntarily, rather than Harden desperately chucking 20 shots in the fourth quarter when he just doesn’t have it, and making a mockery of it all.

dcfma and jboslett like this.
  6. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

discombobulated.

Stephen A Smith?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Streaking is more interesting.

8. heypartner

btw: aren’t you reknowned in these parts for never claiming you know what the intent of other people’s actions are, and that we should always give ppl benefit of the doubt.

Are you really saying you know Harden is thinking this, or are you thinking this?

and then here you are saying it is distracting for the other players?? Or is it just distracting for you.

imo, this is classic Projection: you are projecting your thoughts onto Harden and his teammates, because in the back of your mind you want him to shoot, but it’s conflicting for you, so it’s a distraction.

thaGREATwall, hakeem94, Louka and 7 others like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How erudite of you to point that out . Quizzically, however , I am not Stephen A .... athlough I do appreciate his prodigious lexicon

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You went full Westbrook. Never go full Westbrook!

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

same guy is a Westy triple dub MVP ass kisser

just check out harden's BPM.. he is the rockets so stop trying to neuter him it will end badly for the rockets

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2019.html

12. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

He should just go for one more we play the lakers after the ASB right? Harden always gets 40+ against them

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

It has nothing to do with we playing AIR defense!!!

14. heypartner

Harden had 30pts in the 3rd. He didn’t shoot in the 4th in attempt to keep the streak going. And dishing out assists to Capela is voluntary, so I don’t know what you mean by “but I’d rather the streak end voluntarily.”

Wow, I didn’t realize you like to exaggerate so much. Or do you only make such outrageous claims in your own threads?

15. Mr. Space City

The rockets are not losing because of offense.

harold bingo and Rocket River like this.
  16. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Rockets have one of the best records in the NBA over the past few months and that's with a myriad of injuries. As long as Harden maintains the level of efficiency he's had this season let him chuck as many shots as he wants. Anyway we have a nice all star break to get everyone rested and Capela back, no need to panic. This is a much better team than what we started the season with, and we've saved money in the process.

17. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

We actually need Harden to score alot more...with the way Morey recuiting crap 3 point shooters, they cant even shoot open 3s. I believe if for some miracle Klay Thompson join the Rockets to play with Harden, we will win 6 straight rings.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Do you really think the Rockets are going out there each night saying "let's get Harden his stats and don't worry about winning"

You'd have to be real basketballholic levels of stupid to think that.

pauebtg and lnchan like this.
  19. durvasa

If there is reasonable doubt, yes.

Yes, I think he is well aware of the streak and he is shooting more and more partly because he’s trying to keep it going and pile up impressive scoring numbers. It’s no different then when he goes on a mini hot streak during a game, and you know a heat check is coming. This streak is like a continued, persistent heat check.

Both.

Interesting theory, but I believe you are in denial for believing this hyped up streak has no impact on the way we are playing.

20. durvasa

That’s not what I think. I think the team goes out each night wanting Harden to get his stats AND wanting to win. And I’m saying the team would give themselves a better chance of doing the latter if they stopped caring about the former. End the streak and that becomes a little easier to do, since there’s not as much pressure to keep it going.

dcfma likes this.