1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Egyptians resist Morsi; US-supported military to step in on Morsi's side

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 23, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

2. bobmarley

Egypt: Pro-Morsi Islamists Behead Christian Man…

[​IMG]

Filthy animals.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/second...-sinai/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

EL-ARISH, Egypt (AP) — Security officials say suspected militants have killed a Christian merchant in the northern Sinai Peninsula.

They said 60-year-old Magdy Habashi was abducted last Saturday from the town of Sheikh Zweid. His decapitated body was found early Thursday in a cemetery, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Habashi is the second Christian to be killed in northern Sinai in less than a week. Coptic Christian priest Mina Abboud Sharobeen was gunned down by suspected militants last Saturday as he walked in an outdoor market.

There has been a backlash against Christians by Islamist militants for their activism against former President Mohammed Morsi, ousted by the military on July 3 after a wave of massive protests against his rule.

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/07/11/egypt-pro-morsi-islamists-behead-christian-man/

3. bobmarley

^^^

I hope that works better for you. I wouldn't want you to feel misled or deceived.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm watching on CBS news and they are showing interviews with pro-Morsi supporters who are blaming the US for the removal of Morsi and backing the army and an interview with anti-Morsi protestors who say that the US should've removed Morsi. As I said earlier in the thread this is a no win situation for the US. If the US does anything someone there will just blame the US.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Or if we do nothing, it's still our fault. Yeah, it's not terribly fair.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That too. It's not fair to the US but this is a reflection of a deeper problem in the region. While the US has certainly done a lot of things that have messed up the region blaming the US often seems like an easy excuse to deflect attention from internal problems.

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

yeah, i liked the part where you referred to people as "filthy animals"

you ever thought that your level of rhetoric is similar to how extremists justify their actions?

8. Northside Storm

"It's the price you pay for being rich, free, and alive, all at the same time."

9. treeman

treeman Member

They have been doing that for a loooong time. Blame the US, blame the jews. Anybody but themselves.

This will not end well.

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And this type of bias isn't helping.

Al Jazeera's Awful Week

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its just like Obama and the republicans.

12. Northside Storm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/world/middleeast/egypt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

totally unacceptable.

I may not like political Islam, but to kill unarmed demonstrators? to aim for the heads? what the hell.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Since when don't you?

14. Northside Storm

unlike you I don't have a singular focus on these forums---

I'm not exactly sure how you thought an atheist social democrat who is an ardent gay-rights supporter, and someone who fights for women's rights would be voting for the Muslim Brotherhood.

where we clearly disagree is in how to deal with political Islam. I think what is happening in Egypt now is completely unacceptable, for example, whereas you have a more nuanced view, to say the least.

you'd have realized that if you had spent more time on substance, and less on gifs. ;)

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

fixed

16. Northside Storm

oh ATW, the answer isn't personal insult. The answer is to acknowledge the terrible atrocities committed by the Egyptian military, but barring that (seeing as how your fixation on one issue most likely prevents that), I could see how you would be tempted to resort to the lowest denominator of insulting people over the internet.

I'll be the bigger man, and wish you a pleasant day. :)

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

fixed