1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Egyptian Human Rights Activist Ahmad Harqan: ISIS Is Doing what the Prophet Muhammad Did

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4y5a7VJhrZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very brave man, this human rights activist. Sadly, I don't think he is safe at all in Egypt. We have seen the Pew polls regarding the views of Egyptian Muslims on "apostasy" and the extremely oppressive atmosphere in that country.

[​IMG]

People get killed for thinking freely and stating their opinions in the Muslim world. Very sad.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What is up with Muslim clerics in the Middle East and claiming everything is a Mossad plot?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And then you have people like "Exiled" who also believe it and spread this nonsense.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Israel Security Intelligence Service = ISIS

Bring any word or phrase from Quran that allow to harm innocent people!

You simply can't because it was never there, but you can bring such phrases from Talmud.

So ISIS simply are't following Islam

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm not going to even try. Any direct explicit quote from the Quran that advocates violence will be refuted with the same ole "out of context" line.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Finally seen the light on the Egyptian military?

good stuff.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The oppressive atmosphere has its roots in the death cult ideology known as Islam. 86 % of those who favor sharia law would want the guy in the video to be killed.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

nice, the typical Exiled spin into the Jews are bad posts in every thread

9. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Aroundtheworld I actually agree with much of your comments about the hypocrisy in Islam but basically all religions have endured the same at different times during their existence and incubation.

Religion is like white rice and is flavored and understood based on the context of its people at the time. Its a mechanism for people to gain power over other people and its been used violently in this manner by all major religions.

Whether its the Al-Queda, the Catholic Church and its transgressions over the years, the Hindus to religious minorities in India, extreme ultra orthodox Jews in Israel.

All the religions exhibit this, and as the muslim world is one of the more repressive, poor places in the world it tends to be more widespread during this specific time in history. Every century will have different violent religious movements based on the socio economics of each region.

You should really be against all religions all together as all show facets to certain degrees of exactly what you say. it would probably have more merit and people would understand the logic behind your positions.

But to simply point out what happens to be prevalent today in Islam what has been prevalent across most major religions for thousands of years makes it seem more hate than rational understanding.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, but they are not all the same. Some mainly/only preach peace whereas some, particularly one, have direct calls for violence against "non-believers", which are being acted upon.

But not to an equal extent. I agree that religion is used by people to gain power over other people, no disagreement there.

Even with all the bad things in the Catholic church, currently and in its history, I would not at all mention them in the same breath as Al-Qaeda.

Yes, and currently Islam is by far producing the most intolerant and violent followers in the world. So that is what I am concerned with now.

I am critical of other religions, too, but they haven't been the cause of flying planes into buildings full of people, beheading scores of people, abducting hundreds of girls, etc. etc. etc., so I think your argument that I should be against all of them is invalid. The degree to which Islam is used as a cause of intolerance and violence is currently not rivalled by any other religion, during my lifetime, so that's what bothers and worries me most. I personally don't believe in, let's say, Hinduism, and there are probably many things in Hinduism one could be critical of, but just because I don't focus on it doesn't make my criticism of what happens because of Islam invalid.

Just because other religions have their flaws doesn't mean that I cannot criticize one in particular, or that my criticism of things becomes "hate".

11. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Pope Innocent II, the global head of the Catholic Church, not a splinter extremist group, but the global head of th church said the following:

knights of religious orders who died fighting infidels "consecrated their hands to God in the blood fo the unbelievers"

Other radical Saints like St. Bernard " For Christ! hence Christ is attained....The soldier of Christ kills safely: he dies more safely. her servies his own interest in dying, and Christ's interest in killing!"

So basically killing 'infidels' was a means of self cleansing.

Al-Queda and the ISIS etc are a small minority of over a billion people in the world but here we have the GLOBAL head of the Catholic Church and heads of the order saying kill the infidels and you will cleanse yourself??

Sounds EERILY similar to Al-Queda and ISIS, though its not the global head of the religion. It would be like the entire Arab League heads of Saudi, Egypt, UAE, Pakistan, Indonesia, Jordan, etc. all saying the above.

Now they didn't have airplanes 1000 years ago, so you got me there :grin:
    but I really don't distinguish muslim atrocities today from those atrocities of the past. I do chalk up the potential dangers of allowing man to wield the influence of god over ignorant, poor, desolate people.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not very concerned about what a pope said between 1130 and 1143. That was almost 900 years ago. In case you missed it, leaders of Christianity are not currently promoting such ideas, and have not for a long time. But if you want to go there, I can help you out by finding 10 current quotes from Islamists vs. every 1 you dig up from a Christian leader from many hundreds of years ago.

13. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I don't think you get the point. The fact that the interpretations of any religious text is all subjective to the socio-economic malaise of the group as per the white rice example.

All these religions have pretty Hammerabi's Code type eye for an eye and kill the infidel, stoning people etc. whether its in muslim, jewish or christian theology and actions.

I'm not saying one is worse or better, obviously the pernicious influence of Islamic violence is horrific and unsettling, but they are all reflections of the same weaknesses and foundations of all the abrahamic religions that have stories of killing non-believers and stoning people etc. Then you have those with the pulpit that have leveraged the same basic tenets and sayings to incite violence whenever there is a pool of poor, needy desperate people: whether its the muslims now, the christians during the depressions in Europe a 1000 years ago or the Jewish settler attacks.

Its not about 100 dead versus 1000 etc. but about that these are all reflections of themselves and to attribute Islam as evil because the scale is greater in this current 50 year cycle we happen to anecdotaly live in is really either myopic or its an excuse for your own hatred.

You should logically hate all abrahamic faiths.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am concerned with what is happening now. That is not myopic. Also, Islam has been more violent than Christianity ever since it existed, and its teachings are more violent, the founder is more violent and intolerant, and so on and so on. Your attempts at excusing the death cult ideology by the usual "but crusades"..."but Israel"..."but some pope 900 years ago" do not work.

What I do agree with, is something obvious - that the Abrahamic faiths have a lot of similarities, both in their positive and in their negative teachings.

What I don't agree with is that they are all equally violent or non-violent. Islam has always been more violent, from its roots, with the founder slaughtering non-believers, which never really stopped and which is still going on today. Are the others perfect? No, far from it. Do I view them with skepticism? Yes. Is Islam worse? Yes, both historically and especially today.