1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Eff GEICO] Auto Insurance Surcharge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jul 25, 2013.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Earlier this year, I was in an accident where I rear-ended someone. GEICO has charged me an extra $800 per year for the duration of 3 years as a result of that accident. They call this a surcharge.

Here's my beef. My policy covers $25,000 property damage which I did not exceed (other person's damage was assessed at $4,000). My liability covers $25,000 which I did not exceed (the other person didn't seek medical attention). Now I get hit with a surcharge specifically to pay off part of the bill from the accident (GEICO's policy is anything over $2,000 is surchargeable).

What kinda crap is that? Exactly what the eff is the point of auto insurance then if I have to pay for the damage I caused thats supposedly covered by the policy already? Isn't this just a bs way of forcing you to pay a higher deductible? If I don't get into any accidents, do I get my money back? NO. Then where the hell do they get off changing crap on me and taking more money from me when I do get into an accident.

Eff GEICO. Eff the state of New York for getting under the table blowjobs from the insurance lobby and allowing this crap. Eff the Ivy Leagues for churning out lawyers who work for these insurance conglomerates. Eff Waren Buffet for investing in GEICO. Eff the mistresses of the insurance company CEOs. Eff the down low gigolos that some of them see on the side.

lastly, EFFFFFF GEICO.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

InB4AZN driver

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

insert 25th Hour Edward Norton rant.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But...but...that Gecko from the commercial looks so cute and honest...betrayed by Gecko breh...all lies...:(

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Geico sucks, years ago they talked me into switching to them and then said they could not cover me because I had one accident on my file, after I stopped my old coverage. Why the F did they ask me to switch then? All Geico letters go to trash in my home.

6. AB423

AB423 Member

I have Geico and the complaint I have about them is that they are slow at everything. I got into an accident 3 months ago and I sent emailed and faxed them my tow fee and I still haven't received it.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I just switched to Geico because they cut my rate by about 40% for my 7 year old car (previously with State Farm).

I'm sure the service won't be as good should I need them, but I was overpaying esp. considering what my car is worth now. I think being at fault in an accident is going to suck no matter what company you are with.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You should've been tailgaiting whoever you rear ended in the first place. If you'd given the person in front of you the proper amount of space, I'm sure you could've avoided all of this. Let it be a lesson learned. Blaming the aftermath on your insurance company isn't going to change anything.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

All good over here with State Farm.

I was also hit about a month ago. A girl in front of me was too far out onto Shephard and hit reverse hard and slammed the front end of my car costing over 5k in damages. She had Farmers, and unlike other insurance companies, Farmers got **** done and fast, no questions asked. Big fan of that, not a big fan of losing so much value in my car due to minor frame damage. :(

10. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Been with Geico for the past 5 years. No problems here in Texas.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Wasn't tailgating, we were at a stop light and my foot slipped off the brake at the same time he started rolling back (I'm guessing some motorcylces roll back a bit before they go forward), my car was probably moving at about 5MPH when it made contact with the motorcycle. If it was a car, nothing would have happened but because it was a motorcycle, the guy lost his balance and dropped his grip on his bike. The $4k paid for new siding and frame. That was about it.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I've had geico for years. I have 3 young drivers plus my wife and I. My oldest son had a wreck, totaling a car he had for 8 days just before I switched to geico. Their rates were by far the cheapest.

A few monthes after we switched, he came around a curve and hit a spare tire in the road and kept driving. What he didn't realize was that he tore the radiator hose and drove the car until it seized the engine. I thought heres where i find out how cheap car insurance works. i didnt expect much but I told geico exactly what happened - 100% honest. They repaired the car including replacing his old 105k mile engine with a 69k mile engine and gave me a lifetime warranty as per their parts replacement policy even applied to the engine. And even though he was only 18 at the time, they had a rental car agreement that allowed him to have a rental car during the 1 month repair period which usually is not available to someone that young. Total bill they paid was almost 7k even though I paid less than 6k for the car...I shop for deals.

Then about a year after that he was driving through a roundabout on wet roads too fast and hit the curb so hard it shoved right wheel back into the passenger area. Their bill was another 4k.

Neither involved another driver or property. However they told me he used his at fault warning on the 2nd wreck. They didn't even count the first one which I didn't expect them to replace the engine.

To this day they have not raised my rates. In fact, they lower my rates by about $100 every year. This is the only insurance I've ever had that actually drops premiums without asking. I'm sure it has something to do with the number of cars I have with them but 5 cars with 3 young drivers (21, 19 and 17) with full coverage and high coverage amounts 250k/500k and $500 deductible runs me around $440 a month.

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Ok. I'll eat the crow.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You made an *excellent* Swoly impersonation though. I was impress.