1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Jones for Hakeem and Los from Miami?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carlit0, Jan 22, 2001.

1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

The Heat are in the hunt. They have eyes for Houston's Carlos Rogers, and there have been a lot of stories about Miami being in the hunt for Hakeem Olajuwon. The reality is $16 million in salary has to trade hands, and unless Miami starts talking dealing starters it isn't going to happen. An idea that been floated has Eddie Jones going to the Rockets as part of a deal to land Hakeem. Pat Riley has been at Eddie Jones to toughen up and be an impact player or he may see an exit.

Can this work?

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

2. carlit0

carlit0 Member

I don't think this will work, but could you imagine Hakeem and Mourning in the middle!! there would be no driving in the lane!! Hakeem will not have to score as much just really get all the rebounds with Mourning's help. And remember the east sucks.

Phily and Indiana may have a nice Young team, but imagine next year if they got Hakeem in the off sesaon and get Mourning back both healthy.
    Destination: Nba finals 2002, and that is what Hakeem wants, just to be in the hunt!!

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

3. jamma34

jamma34 Member

well i think it works like this:
    rockets cut a deal for eddie jones for role players and such. and part of the deal is houston wil waive hakeem so he can sign with miami.
    heat wants los, so we can trade, los, wizard, and cash for ej. or los, ej, and like collier, and cash if needed. something like that should work. im tryin to check on realgm but its runnin real slow and im at work, but anyway, this would put us in the playoffs easy,
    francis, mobes, ej, anderson, mooch, kt, motay, and catoo??(whens he get back?)
    sounds gooood to me. esp if cato picks it up just a LITTLE bit.

------------------
    people who are related dont have to look alike. my mom and dad dont resemble each other at all

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Please, please explain to me why Miami would deal their biggest off season acquisition in years for a center that is about to retire?

It is good to dream, but let's be just a tad more realistic.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I really like Jones's game. He's one of the best defensive 2 guards. But on this team he makes no sense. Do you have Shandon start at the PF, or Jones? We're left with the same guard-heavy team we've got now, but with less cap space.

Keep trying, guys! Oh and bskball.com is a poor source of info, IMHO.

------------------
    I am Jack's utter lack of surprise.
    www.clutchtown.com

6. BDJ

BDJ Member

Jones makes no sense - we need size. To be honest, for the money Eddie makes, I'd rather take Shandon at half the price.
    I'd be interested in Anthony Mason though. His defense, rebounding, and passing ability are all exceptional for a small forward. I could easily see him playing inside while Mo continues to take jump shots outside. Some might point out that Mason has a spotty record, but I'm sure he'd behave because this is a contract year for him.
    How about this:
    Trade Walt Williams and Matt Bullard for Mason, then release Dream to sign with the Heat. If Mason fits in and we lose out on Webber, we keep him. If not, we just don't resign Mason and get cap space. This also gets Walt off our books no matter what:

Francis/Norris
    Mobley/Anderson
    Mason/Langhi
    Taylor/Thomas
    Cato/Rodgers/Collier

We lose outside shooting at the 3, but we get the rebounding and defense that we need.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like that BDJ,but would be surprised if the Heat would deal Mason.Riley loves him and he is a helluva player....sounds damn good though...

------------------

8. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

CriscoKid, this is not bogus. Us getting Jones is bogus, but the whole idea is not. It is actually very smart. This way, we can trade Dream, without "trading" his contract. We get a deal done with them with us getting a nice role player (Mase or Grant, or maybe Ricky Davis?), then we release Dream for him to sign with Miami...This is actually one of the best ideas for us to do with Dream. I love the guy, but if he's not happy, and with us getting rid of him can make him happy, but yet still keep our team in contention at the level we were at, or possibly better, then let him go. All the years were great, but time moves on, he wants a championship, let him go.

------------------
    The Rockets Championship in 2001...Be-Steve-it

9. Julie

Julie Member

why is the silliness they say at bskball repeated??? not a good source imo.

------------------
    "Here's the kicker... it doesn't matter if you believe this or not because I'm sure you don't, but it already has created enough doubt and makes enough sense to make me and I'm sure anyone else wonder why in the world you would make such a narrow, closed-minded assumption that my Jesus Christ has suddenly become your cat." ***Clutch slays the religion basher known as DREAMer

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The idea isn't bad, making a trade and waiving Dream, etc etc. Jones went to a lot of trouble, and through a lot of grief, to return home to Florida, so dealing him would be a major kick in his nuts, especially considering his value.

Maybe if you dealt for Mason and sent him to a third team (not that I'd mind having him on the roster). And/or if you landed Miami's #1 pick to give to Vancouver and satisfy THAT requirement.

But convincing Riley to give up Mason would require some major-ass cajoling.

------------------

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That is what this thread is about, getting Jones for Hakeem. Gimme a break, it ain't happening.

Some secret wink wink deal that would be completely obvious to iron handed Stern is certainly unlikely as well.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

12. DaneB

DaneB Member

Theres no way that Riley would trade Eddie Jones. He fits the team so perfectly, the only player he would probably trade him for that would also fit in would be McGrady. We all know thats not gonna happen. I'm sure Hakeem was merely just asking for a possibility of a trade because hes frustrated that they arent playing to their potential. I dont see Dream being traded or waived anytime soon. Once Hakeem comes back they will go back to winning and could very well make the playoffs.

------------------
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/houstonrockets2000

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I don't know how much more Eddie Jones can impact a team. You take away Jones, what do you have? Mason? Jones fills the stat sheet almost nightly. He impacts the game at both ends. Maybe this has been misconstrued. Maybe he is asking Jones to be more of a leader vocally, as JOnes is a relatively quiet individual.

Anyway, I don't think Miami trades away their major off season aquisition.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

14. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I don't think there's any way in hell a deal for Eddie Jones goes down. He is the best player they have on their active roster. Why would they trade that away for an aging center and a scrub role player? Not a good idea at all.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I don't know if the Heat would do it, but I like Eddie Jones.
    However I would guess if Jones comes it surely means we will not try to re-sign Anderson in the off-season.

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Do you have a link to the story?

Houston would have to throw in a draft choice to balance their end of the deal and they don't need to be doing that on another 2/3.

Give us a link or the rumor will be discounted.

Mango

------------------
    We neeed more threads about Dream!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

17. silent j

silent j Member

The only way this happens is if we have someplace for Eddie to go. We have no use for him. His game doesn't fit what we are looking for in a 2, and he's not strong enough to be our 3.
    j

------------------

18. carlit0

carlit0 Member

http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.htm

some more stuff from here.

OH boy have the Rockets been popular. Hakeem has made life in Houston anything but a dream. The word from Houston is he and his agent plan to press for his release from owner les Alexander, and that should Les grant that release he'll sign with either Miami or Phoenix. there is an idea that a deal may take place prior to that release in which Miami would send a nice player (Eddie Jones or Anthony Mason?) for baggage and role guys, and then Houston would release Hakeem. Carroll Dawson, maintains to media he has ZERO intention of waiving or trading Hakeem, but Les Alexander may change that tune. Beyond the Hakeem issue, there is very little real activity.

------------------

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If Jones is really part of a deal for Dream you do that trade RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW! As sure as there is a sun in the sky we can use Eddie Jones. Could you imagine a wing attack with Jones and Shandon? Could you imagine bringing Cat off the bench to help these two!? My god who would need a center! I REALLY doubt Eddie Jones is part of any package, then again maybe Riley sees keeping Dream for next year would help with a healthy Zo, while freeing up cap space. Or letting Dream go to clear up cap space to chase Finley, or sign Rider, who knows!

------------------
    Rocket fans UNITE to bring Pig Miller back home! WE NEED PIG! OINK! OINK! OINK!

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Even if that rumor site has it right, Houston would have to put some pick(s) in the package to get a deal done. Not the way to go.

Mango

------------------
    We neeed more threads about Dream!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited January 22, 2001).]