1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ed Reed visits Texans facility

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ivenovember, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Antoine Caldwell and Earl Mitchell are both solid rotation players. Still too early to tell on DeVier Posey and Brandon Brooks, but both seem to have pretty bright futures.

Those 4 guys are our only 3rd round picks since 2009.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No they are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caldwell is not a solid rotation player. Mitchell can't even beat out Shaun Cody, and was drafted to be a 4-3 DT. They did not live up to their draft position. You are looking for starters in the 3rd round. Quality rotational players would be the bottom of the range for a 3rd round pick. Caldwell and Mitchell are NOT solid rotational players. They are barely rotational players.

and what the hell does 2009 have anything to do with anything? Rick Smith has been the GM since before the 2007 draft.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Source says it's 'heating up' for Ed Reed as far as decision time. Could be in next day or so. ... As far as Ed Reed, Texans are still regarded as the frontrunner. Fluid situation, and always hard to predict as he reflects on big decision

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Since 2011, the Cardinals gave Kevin Kolb a 5 yr/$64MM contract; Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a 6 yr/$59MM extension; Mark Sanchez signed a 5 yr/58.3MM extension; and Matt Flynn signed a 3 yr/$19.5MM deal.

That's an annual salary of $10.5MM for four infinitely inferior QBs.

In that light, Schaub's 4 yr/$62MM extension is, roughly, market value. This idea that Schaub could be had for $.75 on the dollar because he played poorly down the stretch is an absolute fallacy.

5. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Actually Aruba, I remember hearing multiple times during interviews with Kubes that although Cody started, Mitchell ended up beating Cody minutes wise. As for solid rotation players, I guess it depends on your definition of it.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agree with this. Maybe $.90 on the dollar. But if you weigh that savings against the potential of a Joe Flacco type run (let's face it--before the season, you'd have to have said it was possible if surrounded by a good team).. You wouldn't want to risk the run-up of $1.75 or $2.00 vs this deal

7. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

After watching the interview on NFL Total Access yesterday with the Ravens owner (Steve B. don't feel like for looking the correct spelling), I think Ed returns to the Ravens. The owner was asked about his feelings regarding Reed and he said something to the effect: "I feel like we got him". He also referenced a similar situation with Ray Lewis four years ago. They should be able to convince him to remain a Raven for life like Ray and he can get the victory tour like Lewis did last year. Since the Texans are not looking to overpay and he did not sign a deal right away, it seems to me like he waiting on Baltimore to match. It's not the end of the world and it would be too bad to see Glover depart and miss on Reed, but it could make the Texans look for a safety in the draft and this is a pretty good class in that regard and while there are never any guarantees they could find someone at least as good if not better in the long run. Here's hoping for Rick Smith uncovering the JJ Watt of defensive backs next month.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think it's between us and the Ravens, but considering how things soured there ...its just a matter of what he can get elsewhere. I don't begrudge Ed. He wants to be here but also wants more money since this is the last of the big contracts he will ever get in his lifetime...he had to explore options to know his worth, but I think we will have Ed Reed by end of week, and I'm completely fine with that. Good transition of talent till we reload in 2 years at that position. If you realize we will have that cap space available, acquiring makes sense short term and long term for the team with other priorities.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed has agreed to terms with the Texans, ending his Ravens career.</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/314510168106872832">March 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

God damn Ed Reed. Couldn't have made your decision like... last week?

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Needs a new thread or title

13. Devious

Devious Member

I need the details before I have any reaction to this signing.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yay!

And f**k you assh0les that b****ed thru the entire process.

Buncha b****es.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Called it. So many negative nancy's in this thread!

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hey guys, just saw Ed Reed signing a deal to be a Texan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.