1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

E3 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You clearly haven't played a game in 4K 60FPS... the graphics are far from slightly better. It is just as drastic as making the jump from 480p to HD, if not more.

2. Svpernaut

The new Spider-Man looks good, it seems like they took a page out of Arkham's playstyle.

Speaking of Arkham, I'm really interested to see the Superman game Rocksteady has been working on.

713 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4K HDR is the real deal, however I feel that I'm content with my xbox one original with 1080p. I still need to finish a bunch of games that I bought or at least get value out of it.

Not ready for the upgrade.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More than 480 to HD huh? Righttttttttt.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is true.

The PPI improvement from a comparable 40" TV from 480p to 1080p is about the leap from 1080p to 4K (2160p). You don't hit diminishing returns on PPI until around 250 PPI or so.

Scorpio is a ******* bargain if you don't already have a high-end PC though. If you already have one and only need a graphics card upgrade, it's cheaper to get a 1080ti + 1440p monitor.

I will say though... I honestly prefer 1440p + 144hz over 4K + 60hz.
    And a 1440p monitor at 25" == 4KTV at 40" in terms of PPI. Monitors are cheaper, have less input lag, come with features like GSYNC, come with native 120+hz refresh rates...

#45 RedRedemption, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Svpernaut likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I feel like we are reaching a point where resolution/graphics are already really good. It isn't worth the upgrade to a majority of the gaming population.

like I said, I'm still rocking the xbox360.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I ditched console solely because the graphics, resolution, and framerate were inferior to mid to high end gaming PCs lol.

I'd say the Xbox 360 is still playable and enjoyable, but man you are missing out on a pretty substantial graphical upgrade IMO, which can be had at only $250 if you get a Xbox One S.

#47 RedRedemption, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  8. Svpernaut

Yes. It is all about the PPI. See RR's response -

This also doesn't take into account the added benefits of HDR, something not available on most legacy HD TVs. Again... if you play a good game at 4K 60FPS + HDR and compare it to 720p or 1080p at 30FPS - the differences are night and day. Obviously, I haven't played a console game in 4K 60FPS, but I've played many PC games at that resolution.

--

RR, I also game on a monitor most of the time. I have a higher end 50" 1080p Samsung TV I bought a few years ago next to my dual 27" monitor PC in my game room/office. Some games I use the TV, but most (especially FPS) I use the monitors. I have an Elgato HD 60 S capture device splitting off to the PC.

I'll be upgrading the gaming TV to 4K for the Xbox One X.

RedRedemption likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah but the limited the tickets big time.

DD

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yea **** MS, i'm not getting another Box. Silicon Valley reference btw.

11. Svpernaut

It is a matter of scale. I've been to PAX Prime, and feel that it is way too big. I've also been to Microsoft Ignite, and at 25,000 techies, it is even crazier. The demand is always going to far outpace the availability, just the way it is with the proliferation of video games, and the indie market. Any kid with time, and talent can make a great game if they put their mind to it thanks to tools like Unity. Just look at Steam having to rethink it's Greenlight program... there is a lot of noise out there.

Microsoft is loving the free Azure plug.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A lot of games looked great, metro exodus looked especially sweet.

JeffB and Ziggy like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

I haven't used 4K or HDR once on my tv yet...actually I did once with Mass Effect Andromeda on my PC, but it was too slow and sluggish so I went back to 1080p. Don't do 4k blu rays and don't care to pay extra for 4k on Netflix so i'm not sure what other ways I can watch 4k HDR movies.

14. Svpernaut

4K video content is a struggle because of the size and bandwidth caps that most providers have now. You're looking at 20-40GB per download in most cases. Some are even up to 60GB or more.

Caesar likes this.
  15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm loving the upcoming VR releases. The technology is starting to take off......

16. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

man, new super mario looks dope...just don't want to buy that console though..

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Switch looking good! Nice to see Nintendo showing up to the party.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You don't have to upgrade but just for clarity, the Xbox One X plays all previous Xbox One games. It also will increase performance on all of those games due to the increased power, this will result in lower load times if nothing else.

Additionally it has 16x (I believe) anisotropic filtering built in, which means ALL games will have a noticeable increase in visual fidelity whether they're optimized for the console or not.

19. Svpernaut

And at this time, at least 35 current or already released games, will be getting the 4K "enhanced" upgrade at no cost. You have to remember, most of these games are also on PC, which already supports 4K, so it doesn't take much investment from the developers to offer the free upgrade in hopes of swaying 4K enthusiasts to buy the game for Xbox One X.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not getting a 4k xbox without a 4k TV. That's like going to a strip club with no strippers.

seclusion likes this.